What the Resort: GCV or DRV?

To me, that's the issue. Which is going to be the easier sell - a new resort that gives you an 11-month window on converted rooms of the Disneyland Hotel, or an extension of a resort that gives you an 11-month window on rooms at both the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. But if you have the expanded resort, you lose the mareting pizzaz of selling a tiny/exclusive Grand Californian Villas Resort.

On the other hand, it will certianly be harder to sell the first release form the new DL resort if those who buy will share home resort advantage with those who buy at some other resort to be named later.

If a generic resort is such a good idea, why didn't DVC do it with BCV in anticipation that it would have another resort to be named later (which obviously turned out to be SSR)? How much more quickly would SSR sales have gone if they included home resort advantage at BCV as well?

But of course, they didn't combine BCV/SSR and SSR still sold faster than anticipated because they were the only developer sold DVC game in town at WDW at the time. The same will undoubtedly hold true for the next DL DVC. Not as good a location as GCV, but still a lot closer to DL than CRV DVC points!

-- Suzanne

I pulled this from the official press release:

villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa represents the first dedicated Disney Vacation Club accommodations in California.

Bold part was added by me.

So does that mean we should call it VGC? Similar to VWL. Or will it be VGCH? hmmm.....

facebook twitter