What should I order at Flying Fish

Which entree at Flying Fish and why

• Our Chef's Special Thunder Entree: Quinoa Crusted Flounder and Port Canaveral Rock Shrimp

• Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops

• Rainforest Pepperberry-grilled Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin

• Our Signature Flying Fish Café "Potato-wrapped Red Snapper

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Faline

DIS Veteran
Having trouble deciding what to order. Have never been to FF before, and too much looks good. I don't like salmon, and don't want steak. Also, I very much dislike sushi, so am afraid of a rare tuna. Other than that, everything looks really good. I know I want to order the crab cakes as an appetizer. but what should I order as an entree?

Last time we were there, they had a mini surf and turf, consisting of a small portion of the snapper and a small portion of their char crusted NY Strip. If they still have it--get it!!!

If not , get that steak if you like steak or get the snapper if you want seafood. As for the crabcakes--if you are familiar with Md. Crabcakes, you will be severely disappointed with what's at FF.

My dh always has the scallops when we eat there...we're from Mass, so have terrific seafood at home. He just loves that dinner!!!!

The scallops would be my pick.

I understand you don't like it, but good gracious the Salmon looks good. I hope that's on the menu in about a month.

Last time we were there, they had a mini surf and turf, consisting of a small portion of the snapper and a small portion of their char crusted NY Strip. If they still have it--get it!!!

If not , get that steak if you like steak or get the snapper if you want seafood. As for the crabcakes--if you are familiar with Md. Crabcakes, you will be severely disappointed with what's at FF.

I saw this on the recent menu and would love to order it, but heard a while back you may not be able to use the DP to order it. Would love to hear you did!

If not , get that steak if you like steak or get the snapper if you want seafood. As for the crabcakes--if you are familiar with Md. Crabcakes, you will be severely disappointed with what's at FF

Yes! This was the entree portion of the chef's tasting menu earlier this month. I couldn't decide between the steak and the snapper, so I opted for the chef's tasting. The appetizer was the crabcake and Caesar salad, and the dessert was the banana napoleon. Our dinner at Flying Fish was one of our favorite meals this trip. Our server, Rebecca, was excellent!

And Uncleromuls, as a Maryland girl, I've just learned to try to appreciate the many non-MD versions of the crabcake ;)

I think they change the menu slightly every day, to take advantage of what they find (fresh? in season? cheap?), so the choices you see on the menu may change a little (except for the signature dishes - the steak and the potato-wrapped snapper). I know I had the "thunder" special and it was pretty good, but it was different than the one you mentioned.

i thought the scallops were a really good but the wrapped snapper was just so-so...kind of blah the night i had it. i voted other because they put swordfish on and off the menu at different times and it was fantastic. if it's on the menu it's a must try.

The truffle mac and cheese is amazing! And, believe it or not, the kids' grilled cheese is one of the BEST things on the menu. We dined at FF one night. Hubs and I split the tasting menu and an order of mac and cheese. I saw the kids at the next table order the grilled cheese and mentioned to our server how great it looked and he encouraged us to try it. We went back a few night later on a whim. Hubs got the grilled cheese and I had sushi, I think. His dinner way WAY yummier. I also enjoyed a specialty martini they had. Can't remember what it was called, but it was pineapple-based and delish!

Look forward to Christmas ... we booked our Christmas dinner booked at Flying Fish!

The crab cake and the snapper were my meal last year...and they are the reason I'm coming back this year! BTW, dbf did say the steak he had there was the best steak he's ever had...better than Yachtsman or Jiko.

Just FYi the menu online is not necessarily current. The one online has never been the same menu there even when we checked it same day. However the food there is AMAZING! One of our favorites. I love the potato wrapped snapper, and they always have a great scallop dish!:banana:

The snapper is to die for! It is one of the best things I've ever eaten & I'm looking forward to having it twice on our next trip :cool1:

kgsmith: Sad, but I'm just a few miles over the line in Pa. and have to go to Baltimore to get a decent crabcake--they forgot how to make them even in Pa.:)

I voted for the scallops. I've had the snapper, when it was delicious. The last time my DH ordered it, it was a soggy mess. We nibbled at it, but left the large majority of it. After that experience, we probably won't order it again. It was truly awful.

Every dish I've had at FF was very very good. DD31 gets the scallops and swears they are the best she's ever had.

The shrimp appy is to die for!! :cool1:

I've dined at FF many times and have never been disappointed. Probably my least favorite was the risotto that comes with the scallops. The scallops were delicious so if I were to order them again I would ask to switch out the risotto. I'm just not a fan of risotto.

I always try something new. I really like their crab cakes but I've never had a MD one so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. :confused3 The chef's thunder changes daily and is usually pretty interesting. One of these days I'll get around to trying the steak but I'm always too intrigued by their seafood options.

Truffle Mac and cheese was incredible!!! I had a loin of pork dih and it was also amazing.

The "Chef's Thunder" can, and frequently does, change daily, so it may not be flounder on the day you go. That said, it's what I usually have when I'm ordering off the regular menu (as opposed to at one of their special events), and it's always been excellent. I was most surprised by the day boat (which is to say, from ocean to plate in under 24 hours and never frozen) mahi mahi. When the server suggested it, I half-seriously asked what I'd done that he'd insult me that way. In Florida, mahi is usually a tasteless, junk fish for tourist traps. He offered to replace the chef's thunder if I ordered it and didn't like it. I didn't have to take him up on it as it was excellent.

If that day's special doesn't appeal to you, the scallops over risotto have been consistently good also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter