What rides at WDW use magnetic forces?

Selket

Been there - done that
I wonder if anyone knows what rides at WDW use magnetic forces to slow/stop the ride. I am pretty certain that Tower of Terror would be one. I'm not sure about the roller coasters, Splash Mountain, Mission Space, Test Track, etc.

Some of us on a type 1 diabetes forum were having a discussion about this as someone was advised by their insulin pump company to actually not take their pump on any rides with significant magnetic fields. They advised her that "it would be any ride with a steep, fast drop or sudden stop." (we realize many with pumps have been on these rides without problems)

Any ideas on what those rides are at WDW or where I could find out?

I wonder if anyone knows what rides at WDW use magnetic forces to slow/stop the ride. I am pretty certain that Tower of Terror would be one. I'm not sure about the roller coasters, Splash Mountain, Mission Space, Test Track, etc.

Some of us on a type 1 diabetes forum were having a discussion about this as someone was advised by their insulin pump company to actually not take their pump on any rides with significant magnetic fields. They advised her that "it would be any ride with a steep, fast drop or sudden stop." (we realize many with pumps have been on these rides without problems)

Any ideas on what those rides are at WDW or where I could find out?

"Magnetic Forces" can mean a lot of things.

Electric MOTORS all use "Magnetic Forces" to make them spin.

The 'People Mover' (now called TTA) is powered by LINEAR INDUCTION motion transformers (a sort of "flattened -out" motor.)

But the Tower of Terror does not use magnetism to make it "go" or "stop"... it uses industrial electric motors to control the elevators.

All of the coasters at WDW use friction breaking (not magnetic fields) to stop the vehicles.
The brakes are operated by electric 'solenoids' (again a kind of linear motor with a plunger effect) but not a very strong magnetic field is generated.

I'm not sure there are any strong magnetic fields that surround the GUESTS at WDW.

The LAUNCH system for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster uses a Linear Synchronous/Induction Motor.
It can produce a very power thrust, but I'm not sure how much of that magnetism can reach the passengers.
That situation was likely considered by the ride designers, but don't know who could answer that one for sure.

Thanks for the TOT info - I've always assumed magnets were involved in those type of rides as "free fall rides" are ones that are mentioned specifically by the pump company.

They do not define what type of magnetic force is strong enough to warrant removal of the pump. They just say "very powerful electromagnets..." In a phone call they said what I quoted above in my original post.

I know RnR uses magnets. The ride broke down once while we were on it and we had to walk out by going under the entire track! (The house lights were on & it was so impressive to see.)
Anyway as we were heading out the CM showed us the magnets on the floor and explained why they had to keep blowing cold air on them so they would not get too hot. It was interesting.

Thanks for the TOT info - I've always assumed magnets were involved in those type of rides as "free fall rides" are ones that are mentioned specifically by the pump company.

Believe it or not, ToT is NOT a "free-fall ride".

It is a POWERED DESCENT (and ascent) attraction.

The motors that control the elevators actually PULL DOWN on the cars at FASTER-than-free-fall speeds.

Interesting info! I appreciate everyone's help with this.

The pump company has said that rides with strong magnets can cause problems with the pump - perhaps resulting in giving insulin to the person unexpectedly (a bolus). My son is 5 yrs old so a frightening prospect as he is very sensitive to insulin. We also think it would likely void our pump's replacement warranty if it was broken somehow by a ride. He has worn a pump on TT, BTMRR and Splash but hasn't ridden MS or RnRR or ToT (yet - but he is 44" now!).

Just wanted you to know that we had similar concerns about roller coasters and the pump. We are annual passholders and go quite frequently to all 4 parks. My son has been on Everest, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain with no problems to his pump or insulin flow. You could always disconnect for the ride if you wanted to. But we've had no problems so far. He won't ride Rockin' Roller Coaster yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter