What "magic" does the Swan/Dolphin lack?

DisneyFanatik

DIS Veteran
I have never been the the Swan or Dolphin. I have been to the All-Star Resorts a few times and being there absolutely SCREAMS Disney. I mean the whole decor of the resort - the pool area, the rooms - has characters all around. But the last time we went (2001) we stayed at the YC. I LOVED it there - but I don't remember there being anything so obviously "Disney" about it except for the character wake-up calls and the Mickey soaps. I found it "magical" because it was a beautiful, luxurious resort right outside of EPCOT and MGM- not really because of the soaps and the calls. I guess what I am trying to ask is what is everyone talking about when they say the S/D doesn't have any magic when being compared to the Yacht Club, Beach Club or Boardwalk?:confused:

Part of the Magic of staying at a WDW Resort for us is the ability to charge to our room key. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Swan/Dolphin (we're even considering staying there some time in the future as it seems like a beautiful resort) but I have to admit that we'd miss that part of the Magic.

we've stayed at the swan a few times, mostly because i'm a nurse and we get the discounted rate..

personally i like the swan, you walk outside and catch a boat over to mgm or epcot, take a stroll on the boardwalk.. the rooms are nice.. we've stayed at the boardwalk also.. and i guess the boardwalk would be my favorite.. just because it's in the middle of things and that's also where we stayed on our honeymoon.. every time we go to disney we have to stay on site now, and staying at the swan to me, feels the same "disney magic" we feel every time.. minus the wake up calls and towel animals on our beds..

We noticed no lack of Disney atmosphere at Dolphin and booked Swan for this year's stay. Look out any room window and WDW is right there. You're a short walk from MGM, Epcot and BoardWalk. If you didn't know these two were not managed by Disney the decor and architecture would seem to scream Disney also. Not getting a Mickey wakeup call and the charge card thing, well, if they are central to your WDW experience, then maybe you'll miss something. We didn't notice the loss.

Bill From PA

NO MAGIC LACKING!
We are dvc members and have stayed at dvc resorts exclusively since we joined in 1994 and we thoroughly pleased with Swan this past New Year's trip! Theming was beautiful at both resorts and convenience and service we superb. I did not miss not having mickey shampoo or soap. It is right in the middle of the BW area and great transportation to MGM and Epcot. I got teacher's rate and upgraded to club level. They were all extremely helpful and had a great time. Only thing was DS missed the second TV we usually have a dvc and we had to fight because I wanted football bowl games!
Connears

I've never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, yet. But I don't understand how the lack of Mickey shaped soap, a Mickey wake up call, and room charging in the parks would make me stay somewhere else if I had a good rate at the Swan or Dolphin. Sure, they are nice touches but that doesn't make the "magic" at Disney. Using a credit card in the parks is just as simple as a room key, soap is soap, and I usually set the alarm to wake up anyway.

The decor at the Swan and Dolphin look great. If people didn't know they were not owned by Disney, they'd probably never guess. I suspect that the people who don't feel the decor is "Disney" probably just don't care for the styling. It's just like some people don't like the decor of the Contemporary, the Yacht Club or Coronado Springs. It's all according to taste.

The magic is looking out your window and seeing Epcot or MGM. The magic is walking to a park or the boardwalk. The magic is knowing you're at Disney.

DW is a teacher and I'm hoping they still have the teacher discount whenever we can go again. I'll certainly be looking at the Swan or Dolphin.

Beats me -- I loved it, even better than Beach Club. One little thing I really liked a lot was when changing or obtaining PS's I wasn't put on hold for 20 minutes. Just called coincierge and put right through. Nicer toiletries and nicer staff members too in my book. The location is much better than All Stars.

Just back and IMHO none - the Dolphin was very magical for us. We have stayed at the all stars, all the moderates and a few of the WDW deluxe resorts. My favorites so far would be a tie between the polynesian and the Dolphin. I love walking to two parks - or taking the boat. The front dest staff was IMHO much frendlier and more accomodating than any WDW staff we have encounted so far.

They have just renovated and the rooms were great - love the heavenly beds, even my dd's (7and 9) noticed. I liked having a coffee maker without having to beg (prior WDW experiences). I also prefer the toiletries over mickey soaps. Finally, for us a balcony overlooking Epcot can't get more magical!

TJ

My DH firt time did not know why we spent $$$'s on WDW.
The we snitched a teacher rate (DH) at the Dolphin.
My DH became a WDW fan.

The second time we went down we stayed at the CR.
DH thought it was ok - we even got a tower room, but
was sick of the Mickey Mouse song from Chef Mickeys from our inside walkway.

My kids loved both pools, but the CR arcade won hands down.

I think a deluxe resort helped my DH like WDW.
I liked the discounts we can find, teacher rates, AAA, AP, and
now Disney Visa ( I miss the Disney Club).

Food - we always eat breakfast in the room with our own cereal.
We do a food stop before coming to the resort.
We have our own water bottles, fruit and snacks in the room.
We also always do a sit down restaurant each day.
That way we get a salad and non-fried food in our diet each day.

Epcot has many places to eat which do not fry their food.
Also try the WDW resorts for great places for lunch or dinner.
Ohana's is wonderful. So is Chef Mickeys and Whispering Canyon.
Make PS's - especially fro Chef Mickeys's (60 day out I think).
Dophin Fountain has great sandwiches and salads.
Check out the menu's on this website or www.wdwig.com
Many places to select from without fried, fatty foods.

Happy eating:)

NOt me either....I'm a DVC member and I've stayed at the Swan once and the Dolphin the next time...Loved them both.....missed the room key charge thing but it didn't make or break the magic for me...

We stayed at the Swan for the first time in December and I too was worried about it "not being Disney". Heres my take on it....

No Mickey wake up calls...I was always up and in the shower before the call came in anyway.

No tv channel with park hours, weather, recreation, etc... I missed this a bit as I usually put it on after my moring shower, but instead I turned into the weather channel.

No park maps at the front desk...This would have really helped me since I had a question about park hours & EE that week(things were changed for Christmas). However after returning I found out they do in fact have the maps and times guides at another desk that I must have missed.

Location...right in the middle of Epcot & MGM. A quick boat ride or walk after the parks closed had us home in no time. It was much easier than waiting in the lines for the buses. The BW was just a quick stroll around the corner. I found the location to be very Disney!

Honestly, due to the location & transportation options, I felt more "at Disney" at the Swan than I did at POR twice. To me the S&D are landmarks of WDW and Ive seen them many times driving by before we stayed there. Having a view of the Dophin right across from us, and the Friendship boats coming and going made me feel like I was right in WDW.

CamColt -

We just returned yesterday and for the first time the front desk gave the weekly guide with all the park hours and parade/fireworks informaton at check-in and pointed me toward the "disney desk" for tickets and more information. I did know of the desk and always stopped by there for hours and park maps but hopefully this will help others that don't know.

I do miss the zip a de do dah channel - it did used to play at the Dolphin but I don't miss that top 10 thing they do now AT ALL!!

TJ

Originally posted by DisneyFanatik
I have never been the the Swan or Dolphin. I have been to the All-Star Resorts a few times and being there absolutely SCREAMS Disney. I mean the whole decor of the resort - the pool area, the rooms - has characters all around. But the last time we went (2001) we stayed at the YC. I LOVED it there - but I don't remember there being anything so obviously "Disney" about it except for the character wake-up calls and the Mickey soaps. I found it "magical" because it was a beautiful, luxurious resort right outside of EPCOT and MGM- not really because of the soaps and the calls. I guess what I am trying to ask is what is everyone talking about when they say the S/D doesn't have any magic when being compared to the Yacht Club, Beach Club or Boardwalk?:confused:

Magic is in the eye of the beholder. You will read many that say they won't stay at the Swan or Dolphin because it lacks the Disney magic. But you can also read just as many that will report horrible stays at Disney resorts including rude Disney CM's, long wait times to checkin, and unclean rooms.

So stay where you want to and make your own Magic.

Thats good to know, tjmw2727! Thats great they give them out at the front desk now. I thought it was odd that they didnt, but had I known about that "Disney desk" beforehand, it really would have helped.

Unfortunately the Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Tip for today channel is gone at all the resorts. :( Thankfully they still have the other channel I like at the Disney resorts, but I do miss "tip for today" too.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Swan and wouldn't hesitate to book it again if the rates were good. :)

When we stayed at the Swan DD thought we were staying with Barbie from Swan Lake. Loved the resort. The port hole windows made me feel like I was on the Disney Cruise Line.

Originally posted by Sammie
Magic is in the eye of the beholder. You will read many that say they won't stay at the Swan or Dolphin because it lacks the Disney magic. But you can also read just as many that will report horrible stays at Disney resorts including rude Disney CM's, long wait times to checkin, and unclean rooms.

So stay where you want to and make your own Magic.

Well said!

::yes::

We just got back from the Dolphin, and I did kind of feel out of place in the lobby with a convention going on, a lot of adult partying going on, etc. Just not the "family" atmosphere of the Disney resorts I have stayed at. No one was rude, but no one was what I would call very friendly either. Except housekeeping who left me my oatmeal soap! Location is wonderful, beds are great!

I stayed at the Swan last December and did not find it lacking in magic. I just had to look out the window and see Epcot to know I was in Disney. I think people mean that there is no Disney theming - you don't think you are in Africa or the southwest or the old south. There is no Mickey soap or towel animals or big do'ins Mickey wake up call. But I was very happy with the Swan and for the price will probably stay there again in December '04. The rooms are very nice - the beds absolutely wonderful & the staff all very friendly & helpful. I had no complaints at all with the Swan! :D

Take a look at my little cheerleader below and I think you will be able to figure out my answer!!!

Mickey wakeup call? Don't even want to set the alarm, why do I want a wake-up call.

Mickey soap? Please ship me a case of oatmeal soap - it's SOOO good.

Room charging? Thank you no, my DS did enough damage to the credit card but at least he thought about it with that Mastercard logo staring him in the face. I can't imagine if he had room charging priviledges!!!

I have said several times that the convention people are probably all jealous of you - just ignore them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter