What is your section called of the city you live in

I live in "Berclair" though NextDoor seems to break that down to a neighborhood called "Vaughn Village" though I had never heard that term used until using that site.

Our subdivision is "The Estates" but there are a bunch of other subdivisions in our small town and the small city over with "Estates" in the name that it is difficult to know what anyone is talking about.

Our town is less than 13 square miles

Our subdivision is "The Estates" but there are a bunch of other subdivisions in our small town and the small city over with "Estates" in the name that it is difficult to know what anyone is talking about.

Our town is less than 13 square miles
That's interesting that so many share that name in a small area.

Here it's common for subsets of subdivisions (or entire subdivisions too) to have the name Estates though that often refers to the size of the lot and type of home (sometimes there's a generous usage of it though lol). In my neighborhood for example there's 4 subsets to the subdivision with The Estates being one of them.

We only have subdivision names.
I think this is how "sections" generally get their names.

I didn't even know about area/section names until house hunting shows on HGTV. I only know that mine is called asylum because that is what my phone labels them when I take a picture.

County Club

There was a country club about 2 miles away that closed about 5 years ago, but that's what the area of town in general has been called for as long as I can remember. We're on the outskirts of that section, but it is the easiest way to tell people where we live.

Middle of Nowhere. We have more cows and chickens and wild turkeys and coyotes and deer than people. We love it!
Wish I still was in the middle of nowhere. I'm stuck for a few more years in a trailer park. Then save for a house, then save for retirement. All this should be able to happen before I'm 100.

I'm on the outskirts of town. It's called Unionville. Supposedly a population of 962 in the 2010 census. Wikipedia says it is a "census designed location". We have a VFD and that is it, but only about 3 miles from the edge of the town.

I didn't even know about area/section names until house hunting shows on HGTV. I only know that mine is called asylum because that is what my phone labels them when I take a picture.
I'm guessing it depends on area and probably who your audience is.

I feel like sections are often names to describe a location but that may not be related to the subdivision name (they could though). They could be historic districts, directional areas, points of interests related, etc.

If the area was still wilderness through the 19th century in the US that is pretty accurate; builders mostly started naming areas in the 20th century. Mine is called Lindenwood Heights, because that is what the property developer called it when it was platted out back in the early 1930's. (It isn't what we would now describe as a subdivision; it just describes an area of residential streets between certain larger through streets. In my case the dividing through street is Route 66; houses on the other side of it are considered a different "neighborhood".) In most cases, if you look at the plat book entry (or your property tax bill if you have one), there probably is also another name that describes a smaller area where your exact address is located; sometimes these descriptions use the word "addition", such as "McAdams addition", usually a reference to the original owner of that land parcel before it was developed. Pretty much no one actually uses those smaller-section names.

In older built-up areas, the name usually arises from one of a few familiar types of things: 1) some natural feature, like a ridge, or a creek or a bog 2) from a business that once stood there, like a mill, or an auction yard, or a church, 3) from the owner's name of a large farm property or postmaster station, or 4) from an event that happened there, such as a battle, or a road running through it.

FWIW, these days most incorporated areas will have the plat book entries online in an public database, so you can enter the address and it will tell you the name of the neighborhood around it.

What's funniest are places where there was redevelopment in a place with an historic name that some marketer thought unattractive, so they cooked up a new name to make it sound nicer and attract buyers. When that happens you can always tell the folks who have been there forever from the newcomers, because the original residents will usually use the old name.

Last edited:
That's interesting that so many share that name in a small area.

Here it's common for subsets of subdivisions (or entire subdivisions too) to have the name Estates though that often refers to the size of the lot and type of home (sometimes there's a generous usage of it though lol). In my neighborhood for example there's 4 subsets to the subdivision with The Estates being one of them.
Most of them had a particular builder associated with them. Built in the mid-late 1990s to early 2000s
I would have thought they were an "estate" growing up poor and living an apartments, but now it seems a little pretentious.

Another common name around here is "Plantation." At least Estates sounds better than that!

We only have subdivision names.
Every neighbourhood/subdivision in our city has a name too. The entire city is also divided by quadrants - SW/SE/NW/NE. Due to the exponential growth of the city over the past 25 years, it's also common now to describe a location as either "downtown" "mid-town" "deep South" or "far North". So for example, to be completely thorough, I'd say "We live in Lakeview, which is mid-town in the Southwest."

Last edited:
Old East Hill, as opposed to East Hill (2 blocks north and across the street) and all of 1/2 mile from North Hill (aka Snob Hill).

Most people who grew up here call our part of town the East Side. Realtors like to call it “Upham Park”. I call it #almostSaugus (the next town over since we are so close to the edge of town).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter