What is WDW like in December?

princesspiglet

DIS Veteran
My husband and I will be going to WDW Dec 8-15 and are wondering what the weather is like then. This is our first trip to Disney and don't want to bring too much. We will be staying at a time-share off-site. What clothing should we bring? Are the lines long? is MVMCP worth the cost?? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. :D

Hi. This year I will take my fourth trip in december. I like it a lot: the Christmas decoration is beautiful. The weather can change drastically overnight. I have had nice warm days with cool evenings _ good enough for a pool dip, nice warm days with warm nights (warm enough for this Brazilian to wear T-shirts) and cold, cold, cold days _ cold enought to make Americans freeze. All in the same stay. Last year it was particularly cold. I know the temperatures got as low as 2°C (I believe this should be around 36, 38°F).
I've had very little rain, but once in every stay there is a moment when rain ponchos come handy.
Twice I got to WDW a few days before Christmas. Last year, I arrived on the 22nd., a saturday. Usually, the parks seem to be comfortable before Christmas and get progressively crowded till New Year. I would say that New Year can be too crowded for anyone's taste. I can't really complain. I usually wake up very early, enjoy EE, and do the rides before things get really crowded. I remember wandering around main street around 7AM and watching the castle against the pink morning light. It was very beautiful and very peaceful.
There is one thing I miss when I visit the world around Christmas and that is that music they play at Epcot. All the parks play season's music. Now when I come to think of it, I also miss the nostalgic music they usually play at main street. That music about the red nosed reindeer seemed to stick to my brain. :)

We went last Dec 7th-14th. The weather was quite warm during the day but cool at night. It was warm enough for us to use the AC in the house we rented also used the pool (unheated). We spent one day at blizzard beach. The lines in the parks were short. We used fast pass only because we wanted to try it out, it was not needed. It's a very nice time to visit.
I've also been there in December when the weather was not as warm but usually a heavy sweatshirt is sufficient.

It is beautiful at that time of year! I went down in 1994 right after Thanksgiving. The parks are decorated from Christmas and there are special activities planned for the holiday season. The weather is great, but I would pack a couple of pairs of pants in case it gets cold in the evenings, and a couple of light sweaters. you will probably be wearing jeans and a sweater on the way down from Pittsburgh anyway. Worst case, you buy something when you need it. Have a great trip!!!

We were at Disney last December and we were not expecting freezing weather, but thats what we got! Basically we just bought sweatshirts to keep warm and we were fine. During the afternoons it warmed up enough to just wear t-shirts and light jackets. We had always heard about the mild weather so we planned a Christmas trip. Just our luck to be there during the first hard freeze in years! I would definitely do it again though!

December in WDW is wonderful. I was there last year and the weather was pleasant during the day. However, 42 degrees in Florida at night is completely different than 42 degrees in Colorado. Here that's considered warm for winter. But in Florida it's considered chilly. I was pretty confortable with t-shirts and jeans during the day, and changed over to a sweatshirt at night. We went on an Illuminations cruise one evening, and I really should have brought a jacket. Brrrr!

Be prepared for cool wx as well as hot (during the day). We had jeans & sweaters w/us and were glad we did last Dec. I even had a scarf and gloves that I wore one night over at Pleasure Island--had a lot of envious looks from frozen folks. Remember, you don't have to take a whole lot of different clothes--just a variety and then wash what you need. Who's going to see you wear something twice--or who cares?

As a Florida resident and someone who's at wdw each December, trust me when I say you cannot ask anyone what your weather will be like this far in advance! It can be in the upper 80's or it can only reach the 40's during the day.

You need to check the Orlando weather forecast immediately before your trip and then pack accordingly. The "normal" weather would be days around 70 or so, and nights in the low 50's. Reality can be very different from that, though. WDW lost a LOT of plants on more than one night last December - they were killed in a freeze overnight. You don't want to be here in shorts & tee shirts when the weather drops to the 20's, lol!

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are probably used to MUCH colder weather than the people from Florida. I tell my Dad that his blood had thinned. You will be there in a T-shirt because it is the low 70's and the natives will be dressed in winter gear! Don't let it bother you.

Of course my fav is the people in shorts, sports bras etc when it is 40. I think these people just believe that Florida is warm and they come unprepared!

Wonderful

Have shirts made up for all in your party. Ours said Merry Christmas 2000 at Disney World then we had our pic taken.

Pack all your clothes & wear layers! LOL

Really, we went 12/1 - 12/10 last year. Daytime highs ranged from 50's to 80's. Lows were high 30's to 50's. And Florida winters are a DAMP COLD! We are from New England and we were cold!!! Some days I had 3-4 layers on. Tshirt, with light thermal shirt or sweatshirt with fleece pull over on top & at night added a fleece sleeveless vest. One night, I wore gloves. But by the end of our trip, we were in shorts & tshirts.

Pack it all. I kept hearing this over & over, and I was glad we brought such a wide range. We used it all. Even went swimming at night - pools are heated. Just run back to the room. LOL (From New England - we HAD to go swimming - it's Florida!!!)

Carry the layers with you in backpack. Temps change very quickly. Stash in a locker if you wish.

December is great!!!!! No matter what the weather. Decorations, music, no crowds..... Have a ball!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter