What is the best thing to clean granite countertops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second the 409 Stone/Granite! Just started using it about a month ago and it does a great job - no streaks at all. Much better than the $$$ stuff we were using before.

Our fabricator told us we do not need to reseal the counters. Our counters were about $9K so he better be right!

sealers: if your granite is less than .25% absorbant, it doesn't need to be sealed.

I was told when the spray cleaner I was given runs out to go to lowes and get isopropyl rubbing alcohol for cheap easy clean. i guess it has a low ph.

found this recipe... into a quart-size spray bottle, add a quarter cup of isopropyl rubbing alcohol, a couple of drops of liquid dishwashing detergent and then fill this to the top with water. This is not only the best granite countertop cleaner but also the most inexpensive, costing only a few cents to make.

if you use a dish soap, make sure it doesn't have acid and look for ph balanced dish soap.

My husband actually install granite countertops daily and what he was taught in training is that WINDEX is what they recomend to clean your tops with. As far a sealing your granite depending on were the granite comes from you shouldn't have to reaseal it for 5-15 yrs.
:thumbsup2

My husband does installation for a living and I've been with him when he installs...and uses Windex for clean up.

We were told to seal every 6 months and use stone cleaner, both available at Home Depot.

My experience, very hot water is enough to clean. My answer might be different if my granite wasn't sealed. Seal it at least twice a year. You can buy the sealer at Home Depot (Amazon...)

edited to add my Granite guy suggests stone care international for sealer
http://stonecare.com/Home

Seal and generally clean with hot water.

Last edited:
I have lung health issues and use Seventh Generation Granite cleaner. We need to reseal our granite but I would have to leave the house if the sealer has a strong odor/fumes.

A good cleaner for stainless is Seventh Generation Glass Cleaner. Works well on our mirrors and kitchen appliances.

sealed ours I think twice... been using soap and water with a sponge since we had them which is over 10 but less than 12 years ago... no streaks dulling etc.

gosh guys.

Had my granite top for 12 years.

Still looks great.

It is cleaned with a watered down solution of rubbing alcohol. That sanitizes and cleans. NO SOAP. Find the percentage on lots of reputable online sites.

The alcohol takes a bit extra effort with lots of grease, but it does the job and it is cheap.

Seal once a year with: https://miraclesealants.com/products/seal-protect/511-impregnator

A dozen years of success tells the story.

sealed ours I think twice... been using soap and water with a sponge since we had them which is over 10 but less than 12 years ago... no streaks dulling etc.

We just had granite installed a couple months ago. The granite company suggested to clean with either soap/water or disinfectant wipes. To make it shine, they suggested Sparkle window cleaner. This is what I have been doing and the counters look great. I use a microfiber cloth with the Sparkle. The Sparkle is alcohol and ammonia free.

Last edited:
I use Dawn dish soap and squeeze a very small amount on a wet wash cloth, with a sponge follow-up depending on the nature of the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter