What is a Blue Card?

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Hi
again forgive my ignorance here. I started researching buying DVC here and after all my research was sold on a resale. Now I have seen some posts about a “Blue Card” which I believe only goes to direct buyers?
what does this blue card get you? I saw one post that you can only get into DVC member lounges with this blue card. So if I buy resale and don’t get this blue card what other perks do you not get buying resale that you get buying direct?
just trying to find out everything I can and thank you

If you qualify for member benefits (see Seth's response) your online member card is blue and you can request a physical card which is blue also. This is the card you show when getting the benefits, checking into MM, checking out at restaurants and shops, or activating your AP. If your ownership does not qualify for member benefits, you only get the online member card and it is white.

Thank you for these answers.
I guess what I’m asking is what benefits do you lose buying resale than direct?
no one mentioned this Blue Card?
i know about not being able to get into the Riviera and future resorts and not concerned about that
does buying resale get you into DVC members lounges
does buying resale still get you discounts in stores and stuff
what does a blue card get that a white card doesn’t ?

Thanks

Having a blue card gives you access to all the special member events, such as Moonlight Madness. It gives you access to the discounts on dining, shopping, spa, etc., including discounted prices on Annual Passes. It gives you access to all members only areas.

Direct Points can be used at Riviera and any new resorts built. They can also be exchanged for Disney Hotels, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, etc (though those often aren’t a good use of your points).

Thank you for these answers.
I guess what I’m asking is what benefits do you lose buying resale than direct?
no one mentioned this Blue Card?
i know about not being able to get into the Riviera and future resorts and not concerned about that
does buying resale get you into DVC members lounges
does buying resale still get you discounts in stores and stuff
what does a blue card get that a white card doesn’t ?

Thanks

Blue card member get:

Discounts on APs
Discounts on dining and merch, etc
Access to member events (moonlight magic)
Access to lounge @ Epcot
Discounts on tours
Discounts on special event tickets
Other use of points as mentioned already

(Simpler explanation)
White card members:
Are only entitled to Pool Hopping, DVD Rentals & access to the TOTWL.

Blue card member get:

Discounts on APs
Discounts on dining and merch, etc
Access to member events (moonlight magic)
Access to lounge @ Epcot
Discounts on tours
Discounts on special event tickets
Other use of points as mentioned already

(Simpler explanation)
White card members:
Are only entitled to Pool Hopping, DVD Rentals & access to the TOTWL.
This is the official policy. There have been members who claim they get the dining (typically 10% at many TS) and merch (20% on property) by showing a white card on the phone or printed. Many also try and are denied. The official policy is a qualifying membership is needed. Sometime folks get by with a non-qualifying membership. For all the other benefits, you must have a "blue card". I have a "blue card" so I can't speak from personal experience. But many CM's will not say no to a guest. My DD was at Disneyland and was given the discount based on my membership and neither me nor a card was in state..... She just answered my parents are members and they gave her the discount.

Here I found it finally the link I was looking for:
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/dvc-direct-vs-resale/
Basically there huge long list comes down to 3 actual benefits:
  • Annual Pass discount (Gold Pass cost - which is currently not even offered)
  • Moonlight Magic (events specific to DVC members, limited offering, and only a few nights of the whole year)
  • Booking Riviera/New Disneyland Hotel plus any future resorts built (which is another 6+ years from now before another resort shows up likely)
These can be removed at any time in the future if Disney does not want to offer them.

In addition everything else is going to be some minimal discounting that many times might not be that much better than a Disney Visa discount but you can look up Mouse Perks which shows DVC vs Visa on a huge chart of discounts. Remember when you buy direct you are spending an extra $10k/$20k/$30k depending on how many points and the price of the resale contracts. You will NEVER make up $10k based on a 10-20% discount on things. That means you are spending $50k-$100k on merch/food/tours where there is a discount.

One final thing even if you get direct something like using points on a Disney cruise typically is going to be a terrible use of points. Now the rental market is up in the air but typically in the past renting your points to then do a cruise was much better. For me it just comes down to bank/borrowing if we didn't want to go to WDW one of the years (although if we didn't plan on going every year or every other year we wouldn't own DVC to start with anyways).

not that im an expert but the money saved on resale out ways the benefits of buying direct paying in some cases twice as much can buy me a lot of dinners and merchandise and you still get the the top of the world lounge and you can still try to get those discount they can only say no it's worth a try

I'd just rather not have that awkward moment (every time for years) I ask for a discount (that I know I'm really not supposed to have). I get the concept of "the worst they can say is no" which I employ in life on occasion but don't want have to do it for every meal and purchase. But yes, the saving on doing resale would buy a lot of meals and merch. If you're planning on doing a bunch of points, you could consider doing a small contract to get the blue card (100 points) and then go wild with resale. Especially if you have no interest in Riviera or Reflections or Disneyland Tower.

Just heard it’s going up in October to 125 point just a rumour I here. So if you want a blue card better get it sooner then later remember it just a rumour not sure how true it is

Just heard it’s going up in October to 125 point just a rumour I here. So if you want a blue card better get it sooner then later remember it just a rumour not sure how true it is

Where did you hear it from?

What makes the most sense is holding off and getting something right before the incentive change so that you can back out or hear what the new incentive is before buying.

I emailed my guide yesterday so will see this week what he says.

this board under heading--- Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up
started by jswoodward

Where did you hear it from?

What makes the most sense is holding off and getting something right before the incentive change so that you can back out or hear what the new incentive is before buying.

I emailed my guide yesterday so will see this week what he says.
I’m getting ready to purchase but would like to have this option as well:) do you know when/what day I would need to get the contract signed and still be able to do this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter