What happened to the fanny pack?

I've found that cargo shorts work wonders. With how small my Canon Elph camera and JVC camcorder are, they fit well in my lower pockets. (the ones on the side of my legs just above the knee)

My wallet goes in my back pocket, and my wife's purse holds all the other essentials (sunblock, tissues, hand sanitizer, etc...)

Of course the stroller we bring is super convenient for all the other stuff, like a cooler, umbrella, rain gear etc... I think we may bring a small stroller even when our kids don't need it anymore. (our 4 year old still needs it for the long walking days at Disney, but not for long)

Dan

i just dont understand why people feel the need to bring so much extra stuff to the park, i mean you should be used to having your cellphone, keys and wallet with you daily (i dont think you wear a fanny pack every day) and if you didnt drive you dont even need to bring your keys. you might bring a small camera or something like that but those easily fit in cargo pockets and chances are your cellphone might take pictures. i just dont see a need for anything else, sun screen you can put on before you leave. maybe you want aponcho but that easily fits in a cargo pocket. i just dont see anything outside meds or maybe a nice SLR camera that would be worth the pain of carrying any bag

I think the bigger issue with the "cool factor" of the Fanny pack is the name. I don't think you can really consider anything with Fanny in the name remotely cool or hip.

Maybe if you renamed it?

I'm a crossbody bag girl, but I wouldn't be against wearing a fannypack if I had one. I never actually notice anyone with a fannypack I'm to busy having a "Magical" time to notice the "uncool" fannypacks :rotfl2: I try to carry as little as possible into the parks with me. I agree with some previous posters, even when my child was very small I didn't have the need for a stroller so huge that it had to be disassembled to get it on the bus or a backpack that would cause back injuries from wearing it.

This thread made us chuckle....my 40 something husband insists on wearing his mickey mouse fanny pack which holds his Droid phone, Camera, Video Camera, Season Passes, Room Keys, C.Cards, Money, Tissues, Car Keys if we decide to drive and even Hand Sanitizer! Secretly I'm glad... no purse for me!!!!:worship:

I wore a fanny pack to Disney when we last went... But I won't wear one next time! The thing has had its time, but another bag is ready to shine!

You know, my friends always gave me a hard time for swapping my purse out for a fanny pack any time I go on a long trip. Aesthetically speaking, they're right. But it's still convenient as heck and I like having my wallet and other essentials right there.

I prefer a slingpack for Disney. I like to be prepared with ponchos, bandaids, sunscreen, pain meds, and of course, my wallet, tickets, camera and keys. I wear mine so the zipper is on my hip or chest, so it is totally secure. I have to take it off for rides, but it's pretty small and easy to do that.

Now, my fanny pack will come out for Universal, because I can't stand the locker policy. We'll lose the ponchos and sunscreen and I think everything else will fit.

And by the way...my idea of uncool is a lanyard with little plastic sleeves that keep my tickets, credit cards in clear view of everyone else. I know Disney is a pretty safe place but I'm not about to over test it. A fanny pack never has to be taken off, except at security so I don't forget and leave it behind and always know were everything is, in fact, since it is in front, in my case, I usually have one arm or the other resting on it. Win - Win!

We must be uncool then ;) We love wearing our lanyards with the plastic sleeves. So much so, we get new ones each Disney trip to add to our collection. They normally always have a decal on the front, so we don't find them unsafe. I love having our KTTW & fast passes right around my neck.

Nothing against fanny packs though - convenience is key! :goodvibes

This is an official list of the world's greatest inventions:

1) The wheel
2) Sliced bread
3) Indoor plumbing
4) Fanny packs

Yep, it's that good, and I still wear mine proudly at WDW. It may look odd on a 39-year old man, but I don't care. It keeps stuff dry on Kali River Rapids and has multiple compartments for holding stuff. I won't stop wearing mine at WDW until it breaks.

My question is, where did all the fanny packs go? I used to see them all the time. Now, hardly anyone wears them and trying to find new ones at WDW is nearly impossible.

We need to bring the fanny pack back. Who's with me?!

I thought fanny packs went out with the sandals/socks combo.

We must be uncool then ;) We love wearing our lanyards with the plastic sleeves. So much so, we get new ones each Disney trip to add to our collection. They normally always have a decal on the front, so we don't find them unsafe. I love having our KTTW & fast passes right around my neck.

I won't ever wear a lanyard with all my cards again. We were at Universal last year on the Mummy ride and I had my lanyard on. Because its kind of a wild ride, I was holding onto the pocket part of the lanyard. When the ride stopped, I still had hold of it, but it wasn't attached to the lanyard anymore. I am so glad I had hold of it when it came off, because my tickets AND my credit card and ID were in there. Same trip,but before that happened, I had an incident where it was pouring and we had to wear our ponchos. We took them off when we got to the car. FF to the next morning and my lanyard with tickets was nowhere to be found. I just knew it had come off when I took off the poncho and was lying in the MK parking lot:scared1: Finally, third time I ransacked the car, I found it in a crack. Now, I keep everything in a small wallet inside whatever bag I carry, attached to the inside of the bag with a clip.

Us too...It came in very handy at universal when they scan your room key at the express entrance on the rides..They scanned it right thru the plastic so I didn;t have to remove it

I despise the fanny pack, but I actually used a Vera Bradley one on my trip to Universal since they don't allow hand held items or bags on alot of the rides

Love my Vera Bradley 'fanny packs'! Think that's as close to a fanny pack as I'll get.

it was replaced with a much better invention called "the pocket"

I find that the low hip hugger jeans of today have pockets that are so shallow, you can't fit anything in them. Last summer, I lost an all day subway pass in Boston because it fell out of my not-deep-enough pocket.

I had a terrific, colorful fanny pack, but the zipper broke. Too bad. I need something small to carry the bare essentials, because I tend to bring too much. I like free hands. I vote for the fanny pack.:thumbsup2

I prefer a slingpack for Disney. I like to be prepared with ponchos, bandaids, sunscreen, pain meds, and of course, my wallet, tickets, camera and keys. I wear mine so the zipper is on my hip or chest, so it is totally secure. I have to take it off for rides, but it's pretty small and easy to do that.

Now, my fanny pack will come out for Universal, because I can't stand the locker policy. We'll lose the ponchos and sunscreen and I think everything else will fit.

Just a little off topic but just for the purpose of information. Every park has a first aid station which, it appears, is staffed with trained personnel. If you need a band-aid they have them and they are free. No need to carry them around with you.

Now back to the heated, multi-generational discussion on the merits of telling fashion police to take a hike and continue to use and enjoy the miracle that is the Fanny Pack!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!