What happened to the fanny pack?

ryels

Mouseketeer
This is an official list of the world's greatest inventions:

1) The wheel
2) Sliced bread
3) Indoor plumbing
4) Fanny packs

Yep, it's that good, and I still wear mine proudly at WDW. It may look odd on a 39-year old man, but I don't care. It keeps stuff dry on Kali River Rapids and has multiple compartments for holding stuff. I won't stop wearing mine at WDW until it breaks.

My question is, where did all the fanny packs go? I used to see them all the time. Now, hardly anyone wears them and trying to find new ones at WDW is nearly impossible.

We need to bring the fanny pack back. Who's with me?!

I think the Hipsters beat you to it!

http://www.wornthrough.com/2008/07/02/the-life-and-death-of-the-fanny-pack/

"I was recently contacted by a reporter to comment on the Fanny Pack trend for an article.* After looking into the ‘current trend’ it became blatantly obvious that the resurrected style has died, yet again. Along with the fashion for all things 1980s, the urban hipsters began reevaluating the fanny pack around 2004 (as noted by a number of publications at the time, out with the trucker hat, in with the fanny pack). This interest was encouraged when Pat Field costumed Sarah Jessica Parker in a Gucci fanny pack in an episode for the fourth season of Sex and the City. The form and the fabric changed, with the new version looking more like a clutch attached to a belt. Since 2004, retailers have been resurrecting the item each Summer – no doubt for the benefit of travelers and tourists. Beacon’s closet (in Brooklyn) sold tons of vintage Chanel versions to trust-funders and hipsters, and it was predicted to be a part of a growing ‘iconic’ look (WWD, December 204)."

I suspect that with the advent of the land cruiser stroller that has everything except for a propane fired stove the need to carry stuff on ones person as diminished, and if you don't have a independent 4 wheeled suspension stroller then you have a full sized backpack or at the very least a camelbak. Plus with the bag checks they do these days I suspect folks would rather consolidate their smaller bags into one large one so only one person has to deal with the line.

I have a fanny pack, one of the smaller maxpedition models. It is pretty manly, I think, and does an admirable job holding all my WDW stuff. I've resisted the temptation to carry so much that I couldn't fit it all in the versipack. I'm about to devolve into the photographer/shooting vest so I can dispense with the bag as well and skip the bag check line.

I used to wear a fanny pack at WDW and I'm not quite sure why I stopped. I think I quit when the string backpacks became popular. They're not as heavy as a traditional backpack and have more room than a fanny pack. I may drag my fanny pack out for my May trip.

I think the Hipsters beat you to it!

Darn hipsters! Why did they have to mess with something that works so well?

Plus with the bag checks they do these days I suspect folks would rather consolidate their smaller bags into one large one so only one person has to deal with the line.

A very good point. I have been tempted not to take mine to the parks for this very reason. It's just so convenient to have once to do get through bag check.

I guess I will just have to keep standing out like a sore thumb with my fanny pack!

Well, it appears that a group of fashion nazi's have decreed that it is completely uncool to use a fanny pack. I would assume that it is because it makes their butts look fat. (of course, their butts looked fat without one as well) It's almost as evil as black stretch socks with sandals. (I guess that is a tad gross actually)

I'm with you...I still use one because it is handy and small enough to not be in the way. It is easier to keep track of wallets, tickets, keys, cell phones and change without one's pockets bulging out. It leaves you hands free and doesn't require you to have a huge (by the end of the day) sweat soaked backpack that you hit others with and can find no reason to organize yourself enough to only carry actual necessities. As an added bonus, when worn on the front of a hip or belly, it affords a lot more security than having something around behind you were you cannot see it. I honestly do not know how anyone can enjoy the parks with a 40 pound bag strapped to them. But I have trouble understanding a lot of things that people do so that is nothing new. :confused3

I still have mine and plan to wear it as usual. My daughter in law tries to shame me into not wearing it saying it makes me look uncool . Luckily I ignore her comments as I'm too old to care what anyone thinks but me. They tried hiding it last trip but i found one at a flea market and replaced the old one with a newer version and couldn't be happier. The only pain is having to go thru security at disney but I think its worth it to know all passes are securely in place and i won't leave a bag somewhere .

As an added bonus, when worn on the front of a hip or belly, it affords a lot more security than having something around behind you were you cannot see it.

Great point! You won't get your pocket picked or have your wallet/keys fall out of a fanny pack. :thumbsup2

Luckily I ignore her comments as I'm too old to care what anyone thinks but me. They tried hiding it last trip but i found one at a flea market and replaced the old one with a newer version and couldn't be happier.

Awesome! Keep fighting the good fight! Don't listen to the fanny pack haters!

I almost 100% positive that I am the only 38-year-old woman wearing a fanny pack (it's quite a fashion statement), but I love having my hands free and everything right where I need it. My fanny pack is a Disney one, it's lightweight and I will wear it until it falls apart--at which point I will buy another one! :goodvibes

Plus with the bag checks they do these days I suspect folks would rather consolidate their smaller bags into one large one so only one person has to deal with the line.

As I approach the security line...I take off the fanny pack, open all zippers and closures and place it in front of the security guy. It takes less than 5 seconds and I'm on my way. The only time I get delayed is when someone walks up ahead of me with a back pack the size of a small elephant and I have to wait for the guard to go through that. It's usually because they didn't open anything and have to be prompted to do every single compartment one at a time.

what exactly are you bringing into the parks that requires a fanny pack?

Anything that needs to stay dry, but that you want on your person the whole time (cameras, cell phones, etc). You can temporarily put your sunglasses in there without the risk of crushing them in your pocket. You name it.

Religiously wear my Fanny Pack every trip. 34 y/o male here.

I could care less what people think of it either. Our cigarettes, lighter, money, Credit Cards, ID's, tickets, room key(s) and car key are dry and around my waist through the park the whole time and I need not worry once about any of it until I leave.

People use backpacks, people use other means of carrying things.

To each their own.

I'll stick with the fanny.

:goodvibes

What happened to the fanny pack?

We had 2 kids and it was replaced with a backpack!!! I still miss my fanny pack....

what exactly are you bringing into the parks that requires a fanny pack?

In my case the only reason why I use one is convenience. Everything I carry I could have in my pockets, but I don't want to be constantly checking to see if my wallet, tickets, etc. are still with me. A fanny pack assures me that I always know where that stuff is and the chance of it being "lifted" are way smaller.

And by the way...my idea of uncool is a lanyard with little plastic sleeves that keep my tickets, credit cards in clear view of everyone else. I know Disney is a pretty safe place but I'm not about to over test it. A fanny pack never has to be taken off, except at security so I don't forget and leave it behind and always know were everything is, in fact, since it is in front, in my case, I usually have one arm or the other resting on it. Win - Win!

We dropped the fanny pack on our last trip. Every previous trip I found it to be very useful to have my hands free and know where everything is. The one I have holds a small digital camcorder and has spots for passes, credit cards, or just fast passes.

This time we went with a string bag and pockets. What did I carry? Besides the park passes and ID I carried 2 light jackets since it was December, A filter water bottle, napkins I collected over the day, $1 store rain ponchos (to keep the rain away), the digital camcorder and park maps.

String bags are much easier for the bag check since the fanny pack was usually fed through a belt loop and had to be removed and unzipped.

Mine is a camera bag that goes around my waist, but really is a glorified fanny pack. I don't wear it the WHOLE time sometimes it is clipped onto my stroller becuase it makes me sweaty! I keep my camera, gum, tyelonal, bandaids, photpass cards and change for pressed pennies in it....and Pacifiers! THis will probably be our last trip with the paci though.

It heps me hold the things I need and be hands free when I am away from my stroller so I can wrangle my kidlets. ANyone who cannot appreicate that can just NOT appreciate it and look away! My Hubby even has a REAL fanny pack the he likes for the same reasons! Mine is MUCH bigger though....:rotfl:

And I am a 38 year old Woman!!!!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter