• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What GIFTS can I bring back to dd's 3rd Grade class?????

6 Days to go and we are thrilled! I still can't get over my kids ~ they love Disney, but this trip they are absolutely BEAMING about it! My son gets all bright eyed when chatting about Dumbo ride and my daughter is looking forward to Cindy's. Disney added Spectro Magic three times during our trip so I'm going to surprise her with that!

Thank you all for your great suggestions, I've decided on a couple boxes of Disney cookies for a recess snack and the Mickey Pastas for both dd's class and my art class (I teach kids art) for crafts. Did the cookies travel well? I don't want to end up with cookie dust for the kids LOL! I love the pencil idea too! I will send a postcard to the class as well, they'll love that! Another family from dd's class is going to WDW in the summer and asked that I bring back info, so I'll do that for them. They are such a great family! They will have a blast! I love all your gift ideas for dd's class ~ keep them coming! I AM SOOOO EXICTED! Sandra :)

I brought back little goody bags for the children in my son's class last December. I got 25 of the smallest bags they have (free for the asking!) Then I found lots of freebies to put in...the soaps, shampoos, resort pens (Mousekeeping will leave extra if you leave a little note with a couple extra bucks. ;) ) We also got stickers, straws and I bought chocolate coins with Disney characters on them!

I do like the pressed penny idea-might have to do that this year! :)

We wrapped some clothing that we didn't wear around the cookies to keep them whole on our return trip. The pasta was also a big hit with our son's friends.

How about a book or two for the classroom library? Did you say they were studying animals?? I bet AK would have lots of choices.

My daughter's 2nd grade teacher actually gave my daughter money to get a postcard for everyone in the class. That was a suprise...and how she suffered over each card. LOL

Even cheaper...how about brochures, maps, Disney napkins etc..

The pretzels and cookies sound like a great idea too!

Jennie

Actually Dr P a video tape can be a very good study/learning project. Especially from the way Sandy has describe it. DD would be making up ?? about animals and different educational stuff. Granted I agree the tape should just be the educational side of Disney. Usually when kids make these types of tapes they are about 10 minutes in length. And you can easily transfer what you want off the tape to another tape. Do it all the time and I am not a film expert. I am sure her child has homework assignments to do and this is a neat way to add to it. She has to think, organize and present the information. Do you think it was right my DD in Kindergarten had to do a journal and PRESENT it to her class when she returned? She talked all about Disney, the beach etc...all fun stuff and I am sure most of her class didn't have a vacation to Disney.

Hey Spinning! That's right dd is doing the video herself. (well most of it) I am making suggests like, "I don't think the video needs to be three hours long." LOL!

I am guiding dd towards AK since we already printed up a list of animals to be found at AK. We will also take tape of CSR Dig Site Pyramid ~ with the Mexico / Southwest USA theme. dd and I are working on a questionnaire for the class. dd will make little commentary about the animals and Mexico and we'll make questions like, "Gorilla's are found in what part of the world?" or "What is the name of the type of pyramids found in Mexico?" It's going to be great! I think the video will only be about 10 minutes long. With about 5 questions, the whole thing will take about 30 minutes by the time the kids have a cookie and ask some questions ~ teacher will likely run this in with recess. I volunteer at the school and I do a lot of fitness time clubs for the kids at lunchtime and recess (I teach fitness, yoga and chlidren's art classes), so I'm usually there already to assist. We have two VCR's and it's extremely easy to edit our tapes, we do it all the time. Our vacation tapes are excellent if I do say so myself. Last April 2001 WDW trip, we took 4.5 hours of video tape and I managed to edit it to 25 minutes for friends and family to watch. They appreciated the brevity while still getting the idea of the trip. Kind of like a slide show. We (me, dh and the kids) enjoy the 4.5 hours and watch bits and pieces all the time to get ready for next weeks trip!

I adore all your ideas ~ please keep them coming! BOOKS FOR THE CLASS LIBRARY! I LOVE IT! That's on my list now! Sorry to go on and on and on ~ I am just sooooo excited about the trip next week. You all added tremendously to our enjoyment. I hope I can help you too! Chat soon! Sandra

at least it doesn't rub reality into the noses of children that will never go to WDW...

About the video, I am really skeptical about how this is going to be done. A questionnaire?? Oh please, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but why should other students be exposed to your home video and then asked questions about it??? It certainly wouldn't fly down here. Feel free to be as excited as you want about your Disney trip, just don't rub it in the noses of children to much (they wouldn't want to do yoga, then).

I think this topic is getting just plain silly!! Why stop at a "questionnaire", why not give a test!! Afterall, anything your family does is of absolute interest to every other family in the school...

Those that are delusional, please line up to the left...

:rolleyes:

Hi all, I have written all your wonderful ideas on a list and I'm certain dd's friends at school are going to enjoy their gifts and the video. dd's teacher made up a lovely little journal for dd to record her daily activities and share with the class ~ she is such a great teacher, very thoughtful and considerate.

I have a question about the penny press that some of you brought back for your children's classes. Did you use one machine or spread it out so the kids got different scenes? Last April we got one at Magic Kingdom and I wish we got more.

Also about getting 25 bags, do you mean the littlest gift bags from the Disney Store? That would be a great idea! I'd pay for them.

dd goes back to the hospital at the end of school for more tests (she has had three open heart operations, her first WDW trip was a MAKE A WISH / GIVE KIDS THE WORLD TRIP) she gets nervous about the hospital (it was waaaaay easier for her when she was younger) I think this trip more than any other has us all thrilled and feeling great because we all face the hospital soon after return! We are soooooooooo grateful for the people in our lives. We truly understand the value of life and of friendships ~ Again we appreciate your time and thoughtful ideas! Have a great day! Sandra

Dr Happy those that are critical can line up to the far right please. This has been ana wesome thread and given me nice ideas. Sandra have an awesome trip we will be there at the same time. As a teacher I applaude your efforts to make an educational video. My daughter used postcards to peresent her trip one for each thing we went on. Her teacher loved that she wrote all the cards. Good thoughts for your daughter's recovery! Will you be wearing a green ribbon? We are at POR 4-20-4-26 have a blast!! Buy all the presents you want! Kids love generosity it's just adults who have issues!!

I too have questions about why one would bring back something for the class or even the teacher. I understand you being close to the students and the teacher because you have been helping out in the class. I think that this is in a way rubbing it the noses of the children that yours daughter went to WDW (and they didn't)??

A couple years ago my children bought their teachers and their best friends christmas present a Disneyland. But I would never imagine them doing this at any other time of the year.

Hey Sandra C, it's the other Sandra C!

I too have a problem with the video.Why did you not come up with the idea before we took our third grader in January!! He would have loved to have done his report of Disney for school this way. He had to write up a report of Disney and he hates to write. It will be very easy to keep the tape educational. The animals being the focus is a great idea. For the next trip how about one of the countries in the World Showcase? I feel just like I am in the country after a little time or a meal there.I still fail to see how a few gifts can hurt. DS's teacher had to go to a lot of extra trouble to get his work together before our trip and to give him some make up test afterwards. She is a wonderful teacher that values travel as an educational experence.She deserved a gift from Disney. As for the kids, they already know you DD is going to be a DW that week. How can it make them feel worse for her to bring them back a small treat to say,"hey, I though of you while I was gone." I am a early childhood major who has worked with a lot of kids in a lot of different settings and I think sometimes we don't give them enough credit. They are often happy for the good things that happen to other people.

As far as family time and friends, you have a grip on what matters most in life. While we now have a healthy DS,we spent many months in NICU with him as a baby. We learned to vaule family, friends and quality times.We have no problem saying thanks with a small gift. Prayers are comming from me for the precious DD and lots of Disney Magic for that soon coming trip.

Jordan's mom

that my youngest daughter has an irrepairable kidney defect and although we are happy to bring back gifts from Disney for her close friends we never make it a point of bringing something back for every single child in the class.

The video - educationally lame. Those that profess to be "educators" need to start looking at the outcome research in this area... Very little value...

I think its really presumptuous that you think home movies are educational, that every child in your child's class should view it, and that you will ask questions about its content. You would not be able to do that in my school, North Carolina's highest achieving elementary school (state wide!).

Life does not orbit around one person or one family, my dear...

:cool:

THANKS JORDAN'S MOM (the original SandraC ~ LOL!)

The countries would have been perfect for the video! I think I'll get a bunch of postcards of the countries for dd's grade 3 class ~ if I end up with 'goody bags' they would make a great addition. Postcards wouldn't be a lot of room in my luggage either. THANKS! Sandra

I'm not sure why this seemingly innocent thread is turning into such a hot topic, but I'd like to remind everyone to not attack others for their ideas.

I'd like to point our that the original question was "What GIFTS can I bring back to dd's 3rd Grade class?" The original poster did not ask if this was a good idea or not, nor did she ask for criticism or personal attacks about the gifts or ideas she chose. If anyone would like to debate whether or not people should bring back gifts to their children's classroom and which type of gifts would be the most appropriate, please feel free to do so on the debate board.

Thank you!

:)

BethC,
Maybe if you read the whole thread you would see that the topic evolved and that there was dialogue in many different ways on this issue. Just because you disagree with the people that disagree with the original poster doesn't mean you can direct the content. People are free to disagree, please allow them that luxury...

:rolleyes:

I'm with Dr. Happy on this one. Especially showing your vacation video. It's too much like "see what I got to do every day while y'all were stuck at school all week".

Jordan's Mom got me thinking about Epcot countries (thanks original SandraC). Are there little souveniers in the gifts stores that represent the countries? I don't recall anything from last trip. I remember going into the shops, but nothing jumps out at me on the "little things". I'm thinking flags, pins, food from that country that got be brought home. Thanks! Sandra

Originally posted by SandraC
Jordan's Mom got me thinking about Epcot countries (thanks original SandraC). Are there little souveniers in the gifts stores that represent the countries? I don't recall anything from last trip. I remember going into the shops, but nothing jumps out at me on the "little things". I'm thinking flags, pins, food from that country that got be brought home. Thanks! Sandra

Thinking back on the shops at Epcot that would be fun but could get pricy quick :-)

How about getting a passport book for the clas? IE Mrs. Smith's 3rd grade class and have a CM in each country sign to the class. Some of the CM's are so creative they may elaborate for you. I was thinking of doing this last year but did the dreamfinders instead.

I got a really great coloring book at AK with all the animials and some word search pages in it for dd's class. I copied the pages so each child got their own book and then gave the book in-tact to the class. Maybe this could go along with your dd's animal video.

My youngest was in Kindergarten this fall and her class was doing a unit on weather. My dd kept a weather chart during our trip. All the students had fun comparing our florida weather to their Massachusetts weather the following week.

Loving all these ideas - keep them coming!
TJ

To answer the penny press question--the family that I saw used the same design for all of the pennies. While it did take them a while at one machine (they let other people cut in and use it as they approached the machine), it would prevent the "He got Donald and I got Mickey" arguements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter