What generation Canadian, American, Italian are you?

What exactly are you offended by though? I didn’t say I don’t believe you. I didn’t say you’re lying. I made an observation. As far as I know, that’s still allowed on the boards. If you don’t like what I say block me or report me.

My family on my dads side can be traced back to one of the boats that brought convicts over to Australia. You could call me an outright liar and I wouldn’t care. You, just like everyone else, are a stranger to me and I don’t take much stock in that.
I’ve grown tired of this. I don’t owe you any explanations and since this is all too familiar, I’ll leave you to your fun.

I’ve grown tired of this. I don’t owe you any explanations and since this is all too familiar, I’ll leave you to your fun.

You’re the one who started it lol

As I said before..

Happy Canada Day

On the Polish side, the family came in the run up to/early years of WWI and my grandparents were the first generation born in the U.S. The Irish side is more complicated, since the family on one side came during the famine, went back to the UK, and then returned to North America via Canada before settling in the U.S. So I'm either second or fourth generation, depending on whether you start from the first generation born here or the ones who came to stay for good.

I've actually had a lot of fun with this very topic since I took the Ancestry DNA test and my husband bought me the ridiculously advanced subscription to do a family tree.

I'm from northern Michigan, and my family is all still there. My mom's side is 75% or so French Canadian. I can trace my Grandma's mom's side on several different branches back to the King's daughters. The other side is 3rd generation American/English. On my mom's dad's side there's again, French Canadian (able to trace at least one line back to the King's daughters), the other side is traced back to Salem, MA in 1650, originally from England. We have several of that branch to serve in the Revolutionary war. Throw in some Irish, a Scot or 2, a German, supposedly an American Indian or 2 and a Spaniard and that's my mom.

My dad's side - his dad was 1st generation American. His dad was left at a train station in Poland in 1885 when he was 8 and was taken to Germany to work on a German farm after being abandoned. He immigrated to America in 1906 to work in the Boston textile mills, where he met his wife, who had also just immigrated from Poland. I can't get very far back with them.

My Grandma on my dad's side seems to be English, Irish and a smidge of German on her dad's side, able to trace them back to the 1750's. His mom's side I can trace several branches back to 1630's New York when it was settled by the Dutch. There seems to be some Scottish,French and Germans in that branch as well, but lots and lots of Dutch.

My DNA? Reflects very little of the French, even though the French Canadians as Catholics kept immaculate records and it's easy for me to obviously trace branch after branch.

Instead, I'm showing up as very German in my DNA, even though very little of my family was from Germany. However, many of my French relatives can be traced back to cities that border Germany now, and I guess it's common for the bloodlines in Western Europe to be intermingled due to fluctuating borders throughout the past millennium. I'm very English, Irish and Scot with only 11% Eastern European even though my Grandpa was 1st generation American.

It's been fun to trace all of these several hundred lines back as far as paperwork will allow, with lots of surprises along the way. Lots of work, and sucks you in. Hours and hours and hours - I told my husband I won't renew my membership until late fall. I enjoy summer too much to spend it indoors on research, regardless of how interesting or enjoyable I find it.

I believe that my great-grandfather was from Canada, which would make me second generation here in the US, but my grandmother's family goes back to the Mayflower so I could be a member of the DAR if I wanted.

My mom's side, on the other hand, is from Eastern Europe. My grandparent's parents were born in the US, but their parents/grandparents were born in Russia - so that makes me fourth generation? I think?

1st generation American on my mom’s side (from Canada). 3rd gen on my dad’s side... came from Austria I believe through Ellis Island; the three of us Americans were all born in NYC.

I am a total amateur at the genealogy thing. From what I have researched, it seems as if I can find most of my ancestors were here before the Revolutionary War. I never took the DNA test, although if I ever have an extra hundred dollars I probably will. It seems that they settled all up and down the East Coast. A lot of them settled in Virginia, along with North Carolina, Delaware, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. Everything seems to go back to: England, Scotland, Ireland, and Switzerland.

I have one mysterious branch however. I can find some them in Illinois 1850-ish, but any further back than that is a complete mystery. Also with such a common name, it is going to be very difficult to find out much.

My grandmother came from Ireland to the US through Ellis Island and settled in NY. Other ancestors go a little further back (great grands). One came from Germany and one England. Would love to be able to research more about this. My mom's cousin tried and she didn't get very far. I love watching the show Who Do You Think You Are where they trace ancestors for celebrities. I bet a lot of research goes into it and it isn't as easy to get info as they make it seem.

My maternal great grandmother was Scots-Irish. She claimed Scottish, but had Irish residency and there are Irish church records before emigrating in the early 1900s following her sister to Philadelphia. She had a marriage in Philly that only exists as a single marriage record that Grandma doesn't know about... then she somehow ended up with my great grandfather who was passing through in the military on his way to Fort Niagara which is how he ended up from Minnesota to NY.

My maternal great grandfather was born in Minnesota, but at least one of his older siblings was born in Norway. His mother and father were Swedish and Norwegian, respectively.

On my Dad's side, one side goes all the way back to the Mayflower era, and the other goes back to the 1800s or so.

Mom's side - I believe it was my great-grandparents who came here from Sicily.

Dad's side - no clue, to be honest. I know very little beyond my grandfather, except they must have been in the US since at least my great grandfather (who I never met) because growing up, my dad worked for the family business (plumbing) that was founded by my great grandfather in the late 1800's. I know my dad's side has German blood, but I think he's essentially a 'mutt' ;)

First Generation Canadian. My parents were Newfoundlanders born before Confederation. My grandparents were Irish and English.

I'm third generation American. My husband has ancestors who were here before the Revolutionary War, and who fought on both sides when the war occurred.

I'm a second generation American. All four of my grandparents immigrated to the US in the early 1900's. The men came first and then eventually went back to Greece and brought their brides later. My parents and all of their siblings were born in the US.

My husband's heritage is mostly English/Irish/Scottish and we have an Irish last name. His family has been here for many generations.

I'm not sure how many generations back it is, I'd have to check. I have family that were here prior to the Revolutionary War and were involved in Colonial government. We are members of the Colonial Dames of America

Last edited:
Mom's maternal side we are also DAR and can trace direct ancestors back into the early 1750's. Mom's paternal side not sure but pretty far back. They were all hillbillies from the Smoky Mountains who settled in Kentucky so not a lot of written record. At least the early 1800's but it is hard to be sure.

Dad's paternal side, I am 3rd generation Norwegian, great grandparents immigrated through Ellis Island in 1902. Grandpa still spoke Norwegian until he went to school, still used colorful Norwegian words when frustrated as an adult :laughing:

Dad's maternal side: Germany many many generations ago and British isles also many generations.

On my mom's side, I am 4th generation from Italy and 3rd from France/Belguim (apparently a small village that was right on the border??).

On my dad's side, I am 5th generation from Germany. The English half of the family came over in the 1640s, so many many generations.

I'm third generation American on my dad's side (his dad immigrated from Russia, his mom from Poland), fourth generation on my mom's side (her grandparents were immigrants from Lithuania, Germany, and somewhere else....she's not sure where).

I am 2nd generation American on my mom’s side, grandparents were born in Italy and Brazil(to English/Scottish parents)
3rd generation on my dad’s side. Great grandparents-1 came from Scotland and the other 3, The Netherlands.

My husband’s grandparents came from Italy in his dad’s side, Canada on his mom’s
..not sure when they came to Canada or from where.

DH recently found out who his biological father is through Ancestry DNA testing. A ‘new’ cousin of his was instrumental in putting all the pieces together and then the website connections took care of the rest! His biological family is LDS going back to Smith himself, which of course numerous, numerous Mormons can claim. (Gee, I wonder why?) And Smith is supposedly Mayflower, so that makes DH Mayflower. And the funniest part is that after years and years of making fun of my family’s DAR-ness, while comparing to his family who came through Ellis Island from Ireland, it turns out he is Mayflower! Though he could never join the Society because he’ll never have a birth certificate with deadbeat baby daddy’s name on it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter