What generation Canadian, American, Italian are you?

My maternal side has been in what is now the U.S. since the late 1600's. I'm not sure about my paternal side but it was definitely around the same time.

2nd generation Italian on my Mom's side.
3rd generation Italian on my Dad's side.

1st generation on my mother's side. Though my background on that side is Polish, but she was born in Eritrea (grandparents ended up there at the end of WW2).

On my dad's side, I think something like 4th generation. However, my dad's father often spoke of "emigrating to Canada" because they moved from Newfoundland to Quebec before Newfoundland joined Canada. As a small child, I just thought we was senile :headache:

Another DAR member on both my Mama and my Daddy's side of the family and have ancestors on Daddy's side that came over on the Mayflower (as servants but hey it counts) and Dutch settlers of New York on Mama's side. Native American on both sides so we have just been here a long, long time.

My mother’s forebears came to Canada from Scotland in the early 1800s, my father’s family made it over from Ireland during the Potato Famine. DMom was always very reluctant to acknowledge the branch of her family that converted to Mormonism and subsequently settled in Utah during the days of polygamy.

There is monument honoring the founders of New Rochelle, NY in 1683 (Hugenots from France) that accounts for maternal line. Interestingly my Pilates instructor's family is also there...so small world :)

Paternal side came over a little before, in the 1640s...I could be DAR on both sides but am too lazy to do the paperwork!

I’m an immigrant to Canada from N Ireland. Came with my parents and sister when I was seven. Became a proud Canadian citizen about ten years later, and have lived here over 60 years. I’m so grateful to my parents for making such a huge move and wish I’d told them how grateful. I feel like I won the lottery and love this country and everything it represents. So, my daughters are first generation Canadians through me. Probably about fourth or fifth on their Dad’s side.

3 or 4th generation American. All my family on both my mother's and father's side came started in France or England and came through Canada and than to the United States. My dad remembers all the adults speaking French when he was a kid.

Genuine question..

Why is it such a big deal to have ancestors that were on the Mayflower? I’m not singling anyone out but there have been quite a few people on this thread and others in the past who have proudly made the claim.

To me, it seems like the Mayflower would have to be bigger than the Totanic to house everyone who allegedly came over at the time.

Do the math. The Puritans were a prolific lot and that remained true for generations. If you must know, my ancestors were William and Mary Brewster. I believe only 4 adult females made it through the first winter and Mary was one of them. They were not a young couple when they came over, so they must have been tough. I’ve met others who were descended from them, so it’s not a rarity. And yes, I have the documentation, so it’s not just family lore. None of my ancestors fought at the Alamo, thankfully, but one fought at San Jacinto. I’m not giving his name because that’s a little too much information to share.

I love history, so these are just tidbits of information which interest me. Perhaps you have little interest in history. If someone is descended from a Mayflower passenger and they share that information when asked about when their family came to America, why in the world does that bother you?

Do the math. The Puritans were a prolific lot and that remained true for generations. If you must know, my ancestors were William and Mary Brewster. I believe only 4 adult females made it through the first winter and Mary was one of them. They were not a young couple when they came over, so they must have been tough. I’ve met others who were descended from them, so it’s not a rarity. And yes, I have the documentation, so it’s not just family lore. None of my ancestors fought at the Alamo, thankfully, but one fought at San Jacinto. I’m not giving his name because that’s a little too much information to share.

I love history, so these are just tidbits of information which interest me. Perhaps you have little interest in history. If someone is descended from a Mayflower passenger and they share that information when asked about when their family came to America, why in the world does that bother you?

Where did I say or even imply that it bothered me? I’m sorry if you got offended by my genuine question.

Where did I say or even imply that it bothered me? I’m sorry if you got offended by my genuine question.
Your tone seemed unmistakable. You said The Mayflower would have had to have been bigger than The Titanic to have held all the people who ALLEGEDLY were on it, which seemed a not so subtle assertion that those claiming Mayflower ancestry were lying or mistaken. You also asked why it was a big deal and I explained that to those interested in history, this would be of interest. Why in the world would you start a thread asking people when their family came to the country they reside in, if you were going to make eye-rolling remarks to some that replied? You had to know there was a good chance someone would have an ancestor who came over on The Mayflower. Estimates say there are millions of us.

On my mother’s side, members can be traced back to the continental army and farther.

Both my family & DH's family have been here for many, many generations.

DH's mom traced his dad's family back to the 1600's in Virginia. My dad has traced his family back almost that far as well. And my sister has traced my mom's family back several generations.

We say we came over on the Mayflower, but I don't know that we can prove it.

From Virginia, DH's family ended up in TN. My dad's family ended up in northern Georgia, & my mom's family is from northern Alabama. And all 3 families have been in those locations for eons.

According to my grandmother (my mom's mom), she had an ancestor that was related to Davy Crockett.

Your tone seemed unmistakable. You said The Mayflower would have had to have been bigger than The Titanic to have held all the people who ALLEGEDLY were on it, which seemed a not so subtle assertion that those claiming Mayflower ancestry were lying or mistaken. You also asked why it was a big deal and I explained that to those interested in history, this would be of interest. Why in the world would you start a thread asking people when their family came to the country they reside in, if you were going to make eye-rolling remarks to some that replied? You had to know there was a good chance someone would have an ancestor who came over on The Mayflower. Estimates say there are millions of us.

You’re reading something into it that simply isn’t there.

Happy Canada Day :wave:

Nope

I can’t help it if you choose to take it personally.

It came off snarky. Not that there's anything wrong w/ a little snark.

From previous posts, we know how you feel about America, so it was kinda easy to read between the lines of your Titanic/Mayflower post.

It came off snarky. Not that there's anything wrong w/ a little snark.

From previous posts, we know how you feel about America, so it was kinda easy to read between the lines of your Titanic/Mayflower post.
It’s like when people say, “I don’t mean to be rude/offensive, but...” and then they say something clearly rude or offensive.

It’s like when people say, “I don’t mean to be rude/offensive, but...” and then they say something clearly rude or offensive.

What exactly are you offended by though? I didn’t say I don’t believe you. I didn’t say you’re lying. I made an observation. As far as I know, that’s still allowed on the boards. If you don’t like what I say block me or report me.

My family on my dads side can be traced back to one of the boats that brought convicts over to Australia. You could call me an outright liar and I wouldn’t care. You, just like everyone else, are a stranger to me and I don’t take much stock in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter