What generation Canadian, American, Italian are you?

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
Since it’s almost Canada Day and Independence Day I thought this would be an interesting question.

On my moms side, I am a fourth generation Canadian. On my Dad’s side, I’m a first generation Canadian. He is Australian and even though he’s lived here for ~35 years he has remained an Australian citizen. He is a landed immigrant, which basically means he gets healthcare, he pays taxes, but he can’t be called for jury duty or vote in any election.

What about you?

I am second generation American on my mother's side. Her parents were born in Italy. My father's side is French and English but I don't know what generation American I am on my father's side. Probably third or fourth.

Furthest back immigrant 12th generation from England in the 1650s or earlier on my mother's side.

Most recent immigrant 3rd generation from Friesland- my dad's grandfather in 1906. Immigrated by himself at age 18 after his parents died-youngest in his family. Entered through Ellis Island.

My ancestors on the paternal side were United Empire Loyalists and came north during the Revolutionary War, before Canada as we know it was even a country, so what's that - almost 200 years and 7'ish generations before I was born? On my maternal side it's much shorter. My mother's mother was born in the US where her parents landed on their way to Canada. My mother was a first-generation Canadian (born in 1917).

Seventh generation Texan on father's side, dating to the Republic. Mother's side has only been in the state since the 1880s (newbies!). Before that, mom's side goes back to 1677 and dad's side to 1704 (mom's ancestors in the Northeast, dad's to Maryland). Much to my mother's chagrin, I've taken a pass on the DAR thing as it just never appealed to me. My daughter knows she's eligible, on both sides actually, but also has no interest yet. I did one of those Ancestry DNA kits at it was the most boring results in history!

Husband's family dates to early 1720s on his mom's side and to the War of 1812 on his dad's side (they were Canadians who somehow ended up in this country after the war ended).

Furthest back immigrant 12th generation from England in the 1650s or earlier on my mother's side.

Most recent immigrant 3rd generation from Friesland- my dad's grandfather in 1906. Immigrated by himself at age 18 after his parents died-youngest in his family. Entered through Ellis Island.
My grandma and great grandparents came through Ellis island and all lived their entire lives within 8 miles or so, as did most of their descendants. DH’s family came through there too, but managed to spread out a little more.

I am first generation Canadian. I am the first person in my family to be born here. I was born a few months after my family moved here. My Mom was from Spain and my dad Trinidad( his family has Chinese roots). My parents lived in England and Africa for work where my older siblings were born prior to moving to Canada

My DH is also first generation Canadian. His dad is from Scotland and mom from England.

I am second generation Canadian-American. My maternal grandmother was born in Canada and emigrated to the US when she was a child.

On my father's side, we go way back. I have a many times great grandfather who fought in the revolutionary war. On my mother's side, very recent immigrants. My grandfather and grandmother were both born in Norway (met each other here). My husband's family is German (1880's) and Norwegian (same time period). So, pretty much recent.

On my dad's side I'm second generation Mexican and probably 4th generation Mexican/Spanish. On my mom's side I'm second generation Spanish, and third generation Mexican. It's fun going back in history and trying to put the familial puzzle pieces together.

My kids are descendants of the Sons & Daughters of the Revolution on their dad's side.

I have no ideal, my family tree is veiled and the people who do know are either dead or not talking

On my Dad's side, we are long time Canadians. I think 6th or 7th generation? His ancestors came from England to settle in Canada. My mom is fresh off the boat from Belgium, but she doesn't really have an accent so we tease her that she's a stealth immigrant. :rotfl: She has a book chronicling her family history in Belgium going back to when Belgium became Belgium in the 1800's. Before that, her side of the family came from France.

Well, I'm not sure.
My mom was born in Canada. But her mom was born in North Dakota. So am I second generation American if it skipped a generation?
Her mom's parents were born in Czechoslovakia.
Her dad was born in Czechoslovakia.
My dad was born in China, a German citizen.
His dad was born in Germany. His mom was born in England.

Both sides of my family got land grants for land in North Carolina (now TN) for service in Revolutionary war so we go back pretty far. My mother still owns a good bit of one of those holdings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter