What doesn't matter to you

This is an interesting thread. One thing that I think people tend to forget (or they haven't been visiting long enough to know) is that almost nothing today is as it was when the park first opened. I've been visiting since 1978 and there have been hundreds of changes, some drastic, but many more subtle. "Classic" rides have changed over the years. Small World isn't the same as it used to be. Haunted Mansion has been changed and updated including a whole new room (the Escher-like staircase room at the beginning) as well as changing the projected ghosts at the end among other things. We all know that Pirates has changed several times. Main Street has gone through multiple changes over the years. Gone are the arcade and the magic shop and the camera store and the theater, for example. The queue for Space Mountain and the post-show are different, as are the cars themselves. The Splash Mountain cars have changed, too. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find something that is still exactly as it was on the day it opened. So it's always a little funny when someone is defending a "classic" ride that is actually quite a bit different than it was originally.

Then you watched something different than I did. To me this is Disney making something up so it fits.
Yep - creating a backstory - they used to do it all the time, then fell off from it. The whole of Pleasure Island had a very detailed back story. I was glad when they started doing that again, with the new Springs, and the new areas at Wilderness Lodge, for example.

My favorite backstory is the one involving Duffy, where his cousin Snuggle the Fabric Softener Bear got sick of him and stranded him out in the Everglades to die before Mickey stumbled upon him and decided to bring him to WDW, where he became the "Cousin Oliver" of the Disney universe before being ignored all over again.

Then you watched something different than I did. To me this is Disney making something up so it fits.

I think you are taking his comments way too literally. There's no way the ride is about Peter Quill being there as a child.

I think you are taking his comments way too literally. There's no way the ride is about Peter Quill being there as a child.
No, that's not what the ride is about. What I am saying is their reasoning for the ride being in Epcot is that Peter Quill visited Epcot as a kid. I don't see this ride being about energy because it is supposed to be a coaster. Personally this ride would better fit in DHS.

This is an interesting thread. One thing that I think people tend to forget (or they haven't been visiting long enough to know) is that almost nothing today is as it was when the park first opened. I've been visiting since 1978 and there have been hundreds of changes, some drastic, but many more subtle. "Classic" rides have changed over the years. Small World isn't the same as it used to be. Haunted Mansion has been changed and updated including a whole new room (the Escher-like staircase room at the beginning) as well as changing the projected ghosts at the end among other things. We all know that Pirates has changed several times. Main Street has gone through multiple changes over the years. Gone are the arcade and the magic shop and the camera store and the theater, for example. The queue for Space Mountain and the post-show are different, as are the cars themselves. The Splash Mountain cars have changed, too. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find something that is still exactly as it was on the day it opened. So it's always a little funny when someone is defending a "classic" ride that is actually quite a bit different than it was originally.

That's definitely true - though there are definitely rides that maintain the "classic" feel - and some of the updates fit and some done. Taking the HM example I think most of the updates fit with the ride and maintain the same feel - other than the new hitchhiking ghost effect when you are leaving as it looks to cutsey and "CGI", etc. and that is why I know a lot of people that love the HM don't like that addition b/c it doesn't fit

I also think for a lot of this it is the personal connection to an attraction or a show from specific memories you have that impact your view. I felt that was really the case with people and Wishes (including myself) - but I am sure people has similar feelings when Fantasy in the Sky was being replaced by Wishes

Isn't that a lot of what they have always done though? think of Splash Mountain which started because Eisner wanted a Flume ride and then they thought to theme it to Song of the South

Now maybe this is more of a stretch (though I do think we need to see the finished product to see how well the tie it in to EPCOT - if it is literally just that one photo then that is pretty weak) but I don't think this is anything new

I also think for a lot of this it is the personal connection to an attraction or a show from specific memories you have that impact your view.
Absolutely, and some of it is just plain inertia.

I was really annoyed when they built BLT because for 38 years, the view of the Contemporary had been a certain way and suddenly it wasn't. Today, I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me. I had the same thought when they announced the TRON coaster. What will it do to the view of Space Mountain? It will be different, but different isn't automatically bad.

Isn't that a lot of what they have always done though? think of Splash Mountain which started because Eisner wanted a Flume ride and then they thought to theme it to Song of the South

Now maybe this is more of a stretch (though I do think we need to see the finished product to see how well the tie it in to EPCOT - if it is literally just that one photo then that is pretty weak) but I don't think this is anything new
Personally I think Splash fits better in Frontierland than guardians fits in future world. Like you said we will have to wait and see though.

Personally I think Splash fits better in Frontierland than guardians fits in future world. Like you said we will have to wait and see though.
But do you remember visiting Frontierland before Splassh was there?

I wish Epcot would have done an Up! ride that incorporates alternative energy like wind and hydro electric, but I couldn't think of a way other than motion simulator.

It doesn't really matter because I am too lay to even send in a resume so I will continue working as a night janitor and just change existing plans the Imaginears leave laying around. It worked out well when I doodled Frozen drawings over the refresh they were going to do to Maelstrom.

I sure do, and before Big Thunder Mountain, back when the Mike Fink keelboats and canoes were still running. And the fort on Tom Sawyer Island still had working guns. And the shooting gallery had real guns that shot pellets instead of light beams.

I do, I do! And I also fondly remember peaking through a hole in the scrim/wall they put up, with a locked door in the middle (yes - I tried it - don't hate! And they were a LOT more close mouthed and concerned about spoiling the show by seeing construction back then) at the end of Sunset Blvd. in the Studios, back before the whole area (and, of course, TZTOT and RNRC) was built. And watching the entire Boardwalk area under construction from the BC, conjecturing where "all the stuff I had read was going there" was going to be. Among other things, but those are big memories. :)

I do, I do! And I also fondly remember peaking through a hole in the scrim/wall they put up, with a door in the middle at the end of Sunset Blvd. in the Studios, back before the whole area (and, of course, TZTOT and RNRC) was built. And watching the entire Boardwalk area under construction from the BC, conjecturing where "all the stuff I had read was going there" was going to be. Among other things, but those are big memories. :)
My first visit to Magic Kingdom was May 1978. The park was just over 6 years old.
My first visit to Epcot was March 1983. The park was 5 months old.
My first visit to MGM was June 1989. The park was 1 month old.
My first visit to Animal Kingdom was April 1998, a few days before it opened to the public (AP Preview). It was brand spanking new.
So I've seen LOTS of changes and growth over the years.

My first visit to Magic Kingdom was May 1978. The park was just over 6 years old.
My first visit to Epcot was March 1983. The park was 5 months old.
My first visit to MGM was June 1989. The park was 1 month old.
My first visit to Animal Kingdom was April 1998, a few days before it opened to the public (AP Preview). It was brand spanking new.
So I've seen LOTS of changes and growth over the years.
You win! :o :)

What doesn't matter to me? I couldn't care less if the following were gone from WDW tomorrow..

• Dole Whips & Turkey Legs
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • Morocco pavilion
  • France/China/Canada movies
  • African Outpost
  • Nemo Musical
  • Chester & Hester carnival games
  • Any restaurant besides 'Ohana (my favorite), Via Napoli (son's favorite), Chef Mickey's (daughter's favorite), Liberty Tree Tavern (wife's favorite), and Tusker House
  • Several resorts, starting with the Grand Floridian
  • The new shopping mall section at Disney Springs - just drop me off and pick me up at the Marketplace

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!