What Does YOUR DCL magnetic door sign look like? With other great tips for your sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
First tip on door signs: don't bother w/that special magnetic paper, go to Walmart and get a roll of self-stick magnetic tape for about $1 and it will do all your door signs and pics for much less than the special paper.

Second tip: get the program "Magic Artist" and it will allow you to make just about any Disney scene picture you can think of.

Third tip: use the Home Depot paint chips...they are great!

Here should be a pic of the outside of our door...we made multiple doorsigns plus used the paint chip mickeys to spell out our last name (added cheap curly ribbon to bottom of each one)...also had a white board (got lots of notes from others on it!) and large green mickey head is just a placemat cut out (used plate and cups for shape) and it worked as an erasable board too:

DSCN0487.jpg

My kids had a blast decorating the laminated mats w/ the foam stickers. One suggestion I have is, if you have young kids, make a sign w/ their individual names on it. My DD did not want to give her sign to Grandma as it had DD's name on it too.

Momeska said:
Holy smokes...it kind of worked except I blew it on that first one, obviously. Let's try it again...

showphoto.php

I absolutely love your sign!! How did you do that??????

Hi Jenny,
Thanks!!! I found a photo of the Magic and saved it, then did all the rest in Print Shop. I'm not the best on the computer but I taught myself Print Shop years ago and am pretty good with it. The worst part was trying to figure out how to get it on here! :rotfl2:
Thanks for your compliment.
:wave2: Linda

All the signs are Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious! Keep 'em coming! :cheer2:

Here is our sign from last summer. I used Magic Artist Studio, then printed it on card stock and used magnetic tape on the back. I plan on doing the same thing for our next cruise, but probably more than one sign and get the kids involved with the decorating more.

doorsignedit.jpg

Hopefully, this worked. I seem to have problems posting pictures. :earsgirl:

This is one of our signs. It is a 8 x 11 magnetic sheet. I found the cake image on the net. The cake originally had 7 candles. Since it was DGS's 6th birthday, I "erased" one of the candles using Adobe... haha! :cake::bday:

cake1.jpg

Tink

Let me say first, all of your signs are great. :flower1: :fish: I just got done telling DD that we need to pick up a message wipe clean board, now when i tell her we have to make a magnetic signs, she's going to flip. Thank you for the tips, i cant wait to start.

challada said:
First tip on door signs: don't bother w/that special magnetic paper, go to Walmart and get a roll of self-stick magnetic tape for about $1 and it will do all your door signs and pics for much less than the special paper.

Second tip: get the program "Magic Artist" and it will allow you to make just about any Disney scene picture you can think of.

Third tip: use the Home Depot paint chips...they are great!

Here should be a pic of the outside of our door...we made multiple doorsigns plus used the paint chip mickeys to spell out our last name (added cheap curly ribbon to bottom of each one)...also had a white board (got lots of notes from others on it!) and large green mickey head is just a placemat cut out (used plate and cups for shape) and it worked as an erasable board too:

DSCN0487.jpg

I love your door...that is too cute with all the different colored Mickey heads. Thanks for the tip about "Magic Artist". I'm going to try and look for that. I've always wondered where some folks get those great Disney pics. Do you know where I might be able to find that at?

I just got Magic Artist on Amazon..they had some on Ebay, but I prefer to buy software from a "real" dealer. Too many bootlegs on ebay.

All the signs look great. I can't wait to work on mine. We are going on our cruise for our 7 year anniversary and over Thanksgiving. So, I plan on doing a sign for each. I really want the anniversary sign to be a surprise, but we shall see if I can keep it from DH hehe.

ImMarcik said:
All the signs look great. I can't wait to work on mine. We are going on our cruise for our 7 year anniversary and over Thanksgiving. So, I plan on doing a sign for each. I really want the anniversary sign to be a surprise, but we shall see if I can keep it from DH hehe.
Good luck in keeping your secret! I know it will be tough. :goodvibes It certainly looks like you have more than enough info to fill up a door totally. Have fun and take pics!

THANKS SO MUCH UGAFAN! What is scary is that we had two rooms so both our doors looked this crazy! Was very easy to find our doors, though!

Magic Artist is what made my lower sign (w/the pirate mickey)...I used the online program at disneyland.com to do our family photos w/the DL border (it's on the righthand margin when you go to the DL page...says something about making invites to the 50th using your own photos, but also has just a choice to overlay stickers and borders on your pics).

The pics of the boat (and we also had a large doorsign w/all the characters on it that we had to do on the INSIDE of our door as it didn't fit the outside) came from a website w/lots of disney clipart...but I can't seem to find it now...you can do a google search to find several sites like laughingplace and allears that will have some art and links.

ENJOY!

It looks like some of your signs are larger than a standard piece of paper. How did you print something like that out on your printer? :confused3

Only thing of mine larger than a standard paper is the large green DIS mickey head...and that was made from a green placemat (was 10 cents on clearance) cut out from an outline of a plate a two cups.

My other tip I forgot...I laminated most of my signs and this really helped keep them flat. If you can't do that (I work in a school so have laminators handy), I would suggest picture paper since it's heavier and won't curl up.

We are cruising for the first time in November.

This is the first I've ever heard of the door sign thing.

What exactly is it for? Just for fun???

Do most folks have them???

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!