What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

This is the latest from the Bay Area (in and around San Francisco), CA;
Will Bay Area Schools Re-Open in the Fall
What do you bet the property values just jumped in Marin?
I don’t know that Marin housing prices can go much higher! They’re already so overinflated.

My county superintendent is currently proposing the same model, asking for 4ft instead of 6ft between students, allowing for class sizes up to 25. But there has also been talk in our own district about not requiring masks under the age 12...I don’t see how both models can be put together 🤷‍♀️

Ours will still offer remote learning as option though. And I think the biggest hurdle to all of these plans, Marin included, is teacher buy in. There are a fair number of teachers who aren’t comfortable going back into the classroom under these models.

We just learned the plan for son‘s school which starts mid-August and thought I’d share. It’s a midsize private school with preschool-12th grade. They said over and over that this is the plan if school started tomorrow, but with constantly changing conditions they may have to alter further.
All grades will have the option of in person or online. They’ve installed cameras (swivel that allow teachers to walk around and present) in all classes and online kids will receive the same lessons and be integrated with in person kids. You arent committed to either and can switch during the year if you feel comfortable coming back in or want to switch online (we have the benefit of switching online in March seamlessly and our parent satisfaction with online was 96%). Grading and all class participation will be the same in person and online.

Middle and Upper school will need to wear masks at all times (still studying lower school requirement), they will not be providing food service or allowing food deliveries (grubhub uber eats) so students will need to pack a daily lunch. Temperature checks prior to entering the school each day.

Middle and upper school teachers will have the option to teach online if needed and in those cases a class monitor will be in the physical classroom to proctor the class (and prevent anarchy).

No update on sports or extracurriculars yet.

So they’ve set it up to allow 100% online transition without interruption if needed (which is great if a kid spikes a temperature or needs a quarantine because of a contact exposure,etc) but are also planning to have in person as well for those families ready to come back.
We’re happy with the plan.

Dgd’s school system emailed us for a survey today.

It asked what we would prefer. Asked if we had internet and smart phone or computers. Asked if they can’t run buses would you be able to take and pick up your kid. Etc it has a section for you to write concerns etc

Our public schools don’t open until after Labor Day. The survey is up until July 3rd so we will see what they decide.

It seems like more and more schools are looking at going to school in the fall just like normal, but with a few precautions like extra hand washing, eliminating recess, and wearing masks. I really thought most schools would do some sort of hybrid learning where it would be week on week off, dividing the student body into two groups. It's just my observations from peoples fb posts.

County released the plan today.

A choice between 100% in person or 100% digital.

Digital will not be the half hearted attempt that filled in for the end of the year. They are asking that if you choose digital you understand that nearly full time parent involvement will be required. The digital day will run the same hours as in person school and if you have more then one child each will need their own dedicated computing device.

You have 15 days to tell the county which option you want for your child. You will be allowed to change your mind once during the first 9 weeks of each semester.

As expected the Facebook comments are spectacular.

“My choice is to quit my job or kill my kid?” Or “No one cares about us and our families”
Two winners for dramatic exaggeration.

It seems like more and more schools are looking at going to school in the fall just like normal, but with a few precautions like extra hand washing, eliminating recess, and wearing masks. I really thought most schools would do some sort of hybrid learning where it would be week on week off, dividing the student body into two groups. It's just my observations from peoples fb posts.

hybrid is much more complicated than it sounds. Plus for elementary there needs it be a full day 5 day option for parents that work.

probably a silly question, but why would schools eliminate recess? Are they worried they won’t be able to keep the kids separated enough? I can understand if that’s the case, but it seems like recess would be needed more than ever for these kids trying to sit still in their chairs all day, not touching anything, wearing a mask, and not interacting with other students. I feel for the teachers trying to get kids to not move out of their chairs all day, especially when I see many schools are not going to allow kids to change classrooms throughout the day either. That’s a lot of sitting

Unfortunately the MA Governor has not handled things well and looks like a deer in the headlights when he speaks. He is more about control rather than what is best for the people. It may be that each town and city should have different ways of getting back into school. What will work for Boston may not be what will work for a small town in central MA or a middle sized city or town. Hopefully the teachers, parents, school committees, and superintendents can get together and talk some sense into the people who enacted this
It's too bad you feel this way. Governor Baker is doing an excellent job handling the pandemic and keeping residents informed.

Anyway, school update post: https://www.wcvb.com/article/state-...dents-back-into-classrooms-this-fall/32967610,
disindec said:
That’s kind of funny... I have three SIL’s who teach in Worcester and the impression they had is they will be in school a few weeks and then move online till after Christmas. It’s going to be interesting. Like I said before I’m glad we decided against sending our oldest to preschool this coming year.
This sounds like the state universities' plans for Fall.

Our school district (in Arizona) is starting 2 weeks late and there is a choice of online or in class with masks.
this can be changed quarterly.
Because of the 2 week later start, they will shorten fall break and spring break by a week each ( 1 instead of 2).

So glad they grand kids are going to be home schooled this year!!

probably a silly question, but why would schools eliminate recess? Are they worried they won’t be able to keep the kids separated enough? I can understand if that’s the case, but it seems like recess would be needed more than ever for these kids trying to sit still in their chairs all day, not touching anything, wearing a mask, and not interacting with other students. I feel for the teachers trying to get kids to not move out of their chairs all day, especially when I see many schools are not going to allow kids to change classrooms throughout the day either. That’s a lot of sitting

From what I understand, they do not want kids mingling with different classes. Usually an entire grade goes out at a time, so all the kids in each grade are playing together. If one kid from Mrs. Jones class has covid and does not know it, that kid could spread it to the other classes.

That is why there would be no lunch in the cafeteria. They will eat in the classroom to eliminate mingling between the different classrooms.

Also, the playground is where tons of germs are spread. The entire school uses the playground so one kid in first grade can infect anyone in the entire school, even if they are out at different times. They would have to go out one classroom at a time and disinfect the entire playground in between classes. It would take longer than the school day.

Last edited:
current studies are showing that at minimum 50% of asymptomatic cases when given a ct scan of their lungs show some level of damage. we don't yet know what could happen to those who present as a positive asymptotic during wave 1 of the virus-it could be much worse on them with the next go round.
Or if it is permanent or reversible, or if this ALSO happens with other viral illnesses as it hasn't really been studied.
The NPR article actually does a decent job of explaining we don't know
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-dont-fully-understand-the-label-asymptomatic
"Still, Taylor-Cousar cautions that researchers are studying the new coronavirus more intensively than they've studied other respiratory ailments. "Usually if someone is asymptomatic [with a common cold or flu virus], we would never even see them at all," she says, "and we would never think to get a CT scan on them." So there's no comparable data to say whether the lung abnormalities are specific to asymptomatic coronavirus carriers, or common among respiratory viruses. " Emphasis mine. Why it is EXTREMELY important to NOT spread guesses around as fact. So when a "doctor not involved with the study' (and you will ALWAYS find some quotes to provide a "balance" even though they have ZERO idea of all the parameters) says they are "shocked" or "surprised" at a result remember the whole picture may be because it's never been studied intensely before or in a large study group.

Interesting article on Israel having to close schools again after cases emerge. Wish our media would report on this because this is important info for all our decision makers to have on reopening schools.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868507524/israel-orders-schools-to-close-when-covid-19-cases-are-discovered
That picture kinda shows why masks with children AND adults and schools are going to be a challenge

I see masks under noses (at least one basically under the chin) and masks being touched/moved out of the way to talk and interestingly it's a lot of the adults doing that with just a handful of the children. Masks need to be properly used to be more effective. Improper usage leads to less effectiveness. And in terms of your point that will play into schools being opened because is it the schools themselves being opened as in close contact or issues regarding spread due to improper mask usage among other things or a mixture of it all.

That picture kinda shows why masks with children AND adults and schools are going to be a challenge

I see masks under noses (at least one basically under the chin) and masks being touched/moved out of the way to talk and interestingly it's a lot of the adults doing that with just a handful of the children. Masks need to be properly used to be more effective. Improper usage leads to less effectiveness. And in terms of your point that will play into schools being opened because is it the schools themselves being opened as in close contact or issues regarding spread due to improper mask usage among other things or a mixture of it all.
I agree. Seems like this is not one school though, which is concerning.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/schoo...sewhere-closed-due-to-coronavirus-infections/
Here is another article with the same story. I find this concerning because Israel is a small country and they have had to reclose “dozens” of schools. We are a huge country and this could affect thousands of schools.

Last edited:
Ours schools were given the green light to open as normal starting July 1 with encouraged hand washing and education focused on good hygiene. No masks required at any time for any grade levels and no need to social distance. Students and staff will be encouraged to stay home if not feeling well.:confused3

Ours schools were given the green light to open as normal starting July 1 with encouraged hand washing and education focused on good hygiene. No masks required at any time for any grade levels and no need to social distance. Students and staff will be encouraged to stay home if not feeling well.:confused3
Connecticut?

Yeah, that and the difficulty of cleaning equipment between uses (though that's overblown, IMO, since we now know that surface transfer is rare to the point of unheard of). Our school is rejecting that idea, last I heard, but we've only got one class per grade so it is easier to let them out in small groups without creating unnecessary points of contact between kids who wouldn't otherwise be in contact with one another. But in a school like our local public elem, which has three classes at each grade level, there's no real way to have the kids outside without them mingling.

Our schools just announced the plan last night. Students with last names starting with A-K will go to school on Mondays and Tuesdays the rest go Thursdays and Fridays. They will alternate Wednesdays. Classroom doors will remain open, limited face to face contact, staggered dismissal times, in cafeteria kids can't sit across from each other and will sit 6 ft. apart. Buses will load from back to front in order of drop offs-first off in the front. This is going to be a nightmare for working parents and teachers with younger school aged kids. I can help my sister who has elementary and middle school kids . I am so glad that I am no longer teaching when I think about the planning this is going to involve for both in class and remote learning. Although I must say that my middle school aged nephew is doing remote summer school from my house and is enjoying it. He has 3 classes that are an hour long each with a 15 minute break between each. The kids aren't on camera and answer by email which he really likes. He is probably participating more than in a regular setting.

Our schools just announced the plan last night. Students with last names starting with A-K will go to school on Mondays and Tuesdays the rest go Thursdays and Fridays. They will alternate Wednesdays. Classroom doors will remain open, limited face to face contact, staggered dismissal times, in cafeteria kids can't sit across from each other and will sit 6 ft. apart. Buses will load from back to front in order of drop offs-first off in the front. This is going to be a nightmare for working parents and teachers with younger school aged kids. I can help my sister who has elementary and middle school kids . I am so glad that I am no longer teaching when I think about the planning this is going to involve for both in class and remote learning. Although I must say that my middle school aged nephew is doing remote summer school from my house and is enjoying it. He has 3 classes that are an hour long each with a 15 minute break between each. The kids aren't on camera and answer by email which he really likes. He is probably participating more than in a regular setting.

That set up would be really tough for my working sister who has a child with the last name starting with B and another starting with R. Hopefully the school is flexible for situations like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter