What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

Our kids' school is giving parents the option of choosing between distance learning or in the classroom learning and you can change your mind as often as you need to during the school year. Families who don't have computer equipment or access to Internet at home will be provided assistance.

My school in So Cal has released their plan for the Fall:

Orientation in small groups of new students spread out over a week; online classes begin Sept. 1
Distance learning on Mon-Tues/Th-Fri. Wednesdays will be reserved for study, extra help sessions, and occasional small group meetings on campus.

We are a private, all girls' high school.

Our kids' school is giving parents the option of choosing between distance learning or in the classroom learning and you can change your mind as often as you need to during the school year. Families who don't have computer equipment or access to Internet at home will be provided assistance.

How is that even feasible?

this is what I’m hoping for for my middle schooler and high schooler. I’m thinking if there is any way they can film the class instruction and post daily homework, kids could either learn from home or attend in person. Both of their schools were already set up with every single student having a laptop or chrome book to learn from home. Now I’m not a teacher so there is probably something I’m not thinking of in terms of feasibility, so I’ll just apologize in advance for my ignorance, which I’m sure someone will quickly point out to me lol. Strictly from a parenting point of view though, this set up would be ideal, because if your kid gets sick or anything and has to be quarantined, they could still learn from home during that time. Or families with especially high health risks could stay home but still learn, but could join later in person if by some miracle we have a vaccine or very effective treatment for covid later. But the ones who need to have their kids in school in person could be doing that with that same set up

How is that even feasible?
In class/at home curriculum mirror each other and if students need to remain at home, they can complete online assignments and learning. Teachers (as is pretty much norm now even before virus) will be reachable by email or other means to answer questions during school day. While there will certainly be more challenges, I would call any of this pretty far from impossible or even extremely difficult.

Anyone on this thread have a kid in HS marching band? Any guidance from your school districts on that?

We are in southern PA and compete in Cavalcade. This week Cavalcade released 11 pages of guidelines for restarting to prepare for the marching season. Our district said we can start back in July.

Generally speaking, practices need to be outdoors...no more than 15 students in the building at a time, meaning staggered breaks and sectional practices, and if it rains, we'd likely need to cancel practice. Instructors are to be masked; masks are recommended for students when they are not playing. It was encouraged to plan shows without big props so that less parent volunteers are needed. In terms of scoring, there is no penalty for time this year, so if a group ends up with only a 2-minute show due to less prep time, it will be okay.

My girls know this season will be very different, but they are excited to get started and are thankful that the whole season hasn't been canceled yet.

My husband works for a small private Catholic school and he says it’s going to be a nightmare. I’m just relieved he doesn’t work in a giant public school.

Anyone on this thread have a kid in HS marching band? Any guidance from your school districts on that?
We are in southern PA and compete in Cavalcade. This week Cavalcade released 11 pages of guidelines for restarting to prepare for the marching season. Our district said we can start back in July.

Generally speaking, practices need to be outdoors...no more than 15 students in the building at a time, meaning staggered breaks and sectional practices, and if it rains, we'd likely need to cancel practice. Instructors are to be masked; masks are recommended for students when they are not playing. It was encouraged to plan shows without big props so that less parent volunteers are needed. In terms of scoring, there is no penalty for time this year, so if a group ends up with only a 2-minute show due to less prep time, it will be okay.

My girls know this season will be very different, but they are excited to get started and are thankful that the whole season hasn't been canceled yet.

We were given the go-ahead to start back this month under similar guidelines as you described above, but the band directors in my county decided as a group to wait until July in hopes that some of the restrictions would be eased. Normally the only thing that happens in June is a separate week-long camp for percussion and for color guard (my DS is in the drumline). But, we normally have auditions in early-mid May before school is out and we didn't have that. So, they're moving forward with just the regular two-week long camp the last two weeks of July, and basically everyone will make it who auditions, as long as they want to be part of it.

My DH and I are very involved band parents, and props are what we like to do, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's not something that's done this year. :(

This is a our last year as band parents and I'm truly going to miss it -- hate that it has to end this way, especially for DS since he will be section leader this year. The way I envision it, is that I honestly can't imagine competitions (the biggest/best part), that they'll be lucky to perform the half-time show for the football games. I really hope I'm wrong.

I just it hope it goes on in some sort of way -- even if it's not ideal. Concert band is just as big of deal for him, though, and I worry about what this year holds for that -- and for choir and theater kids.

My husband works for a small private Catholic school and he says it’s going to be a nightmare. I’m just relieved he doesn’t work in a giant public school.

Any idea yet what their plan might be? So far we haven’t heard anything, two of my kids will be in (two separate) small Catholic schools, one in jr high and the other in high school

But, would the governor’s (or maybe more like, the state superintendent’s) guidance have precedence over local county and district plans? I can’t imagine that being the case at least from what I’ve read of other areas around the country.

We don't know. When she closed the schools, it applied across the board, even in counties and districts that still haven't had any cases and to private schools and homeschool programs that are usually not subject to state oversight, so the feeling is that her word (well, her executive order) will be law. But we won't know anything for sure until the June 30 announcement... and the state still hasn't even begun work on the budget for the coming year, so public schools are expected to set their budgets for the coming year without knowing what the per-pupil funding cut will be or what kind of compliance costs they'll have for the reopening plan. School budgets have to be approved in June, by law, because the fiscal year starts July 1.

I’m thinking if there is any way they can film the class instruction
Does your “distance learning” include live video of the classroom? Or just online material?

I am not knowledgeable on how video recording systems of this level would work. But, I think it might be difficult. You would have to set up a camera in every room, and that camera would have to have sufficient audio ability. You would then also have to be able to stream all of that live video. Do most schools have that ability already? Plus I wonder if there would be issues with FERPA. Is it possible to set up a system like that where students are not shown. What if the teacher had to interrupt instruction for a discipline issue, would everyone watching the lifestream be able to see that? I understand the reasons, and the need, for doing this, I’m just not sure how possible it is.

We were given the go-ahead to start back this month under similar guidelines as you described above, but the band directors in my county decided as a group to wait until July in hopes that some of the restrictions would be eased. Normally the only thing that happens in June is a separate week-long camp for percussion and for color guard (my DS is in the drumline). But, we normally have auditions in early-mid May before school is out and we didn't have that. So, they're moving forward with just the regular two-week long camp the last two weeks of July, and basically everyone will make it who auditions, as long as they want to be part of it.

My DH and I are very involved band parents, and props are what we like to do, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's not something that's done this year. :(

This is a our last year as band parents and I'm truly going to miss it -- hate that it has to end this way, especially for DS since he will be section leader this year. The way I envision it, is that I honestly can't imagine competitions (the biggest/best part), that they'll be lucky to perform the half-time show for the football games. I really hope I'm wrong.

I just it hope it goes on in some sort of way -- even if it's not ideal. Concert band is just as big of deal for him, though, and I worry about what this year holds for that -- and for choir and theater kids.

Thank you for sharing.

We are in Arizona so school starts early (July 22, with all day band camp starting July13). Our district does not have a school reopening plan.

We generally have "chop shops" every Tuesday night in June. The first week, it was a zoom meeting; 2nd week was in person (they split the band... winds on Tuesday and perc/guard on Thursday) with all sorts of protocols in place, and then suddenly we got a notification that the would go back to zoom meetings. Obviously a bit difficult for a band setting much less anything else.

Our district has listed some PROPOSED plans, which specifically call for eliminating band, but do NOT mention eliminating sports. I don't mind saying, as a former band student myself and current very involved band parent, that if they cancel marching band but do NOT cancel football, I am going to be very, very angry.

Of course this has a lot to do with my feeling that this thing will still spread, but for my high schooler I am ready to make him mask up and send him off.

I am, however, grateful that this is only his junior year (not senior... the end of last winter season was very tough for our graduating seniors) but he finally made the tenor/quads line this year and it will be a big blow. Not to mention he really hates school anyway and band is pretty much the only thing that keeps him going.

It stinks all the way around.

My friend is principal in a district by me and they are discussing one week in school for half the kids and the other half virtual at home-the next week they switch. So each kid would be home every other week which for working parents could be an issue. Our district sent out something saying buses may only be able to handle a fraction of the kids and the rest would have to be driven and picked up by parents.

So for anyone who thinks we should just take the risk and open schools normally, this is why I don’t think schools can or should “open as normal.”

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...19-20-intl/h_e17b91dc025eda59a34aaaae2530b2dd
‘Yes, it is a very small sample. But these are positive cases of kids who are totally asymptomatic. Multiply that by the millions of kids in schools. This would be like one big Petri dish with the possibility of unknowingly spreading this virus like wildfire.

In class/at home curriculum mirror each other and if students need to remain at home, they can complete online assignments and learning. Teachers (as is pretty much norm now even before virus) will be reachable by email or other means to answer questions during school day. While there will certainly be more challenges, I would call any of this pretty far from impossible or even extremely difficult.

Ha! Ha!!! You haven't taught, have you? First of all, is this recording live? Trying to record with kids in the classroom?? Privacy issues? Behavior issues? Kid throwing up in the middle of class issues? If not live, who records it? That teacher? A different teacher? I promise you, no teacher teaches the same thing the same way nor has the same requirements/expectations. They can vary widely. Internet is an issue. I live rurally. I had a couple of Zoom meeting yesterday and other internet things I had to do. It kept kicking me off.

Yeah, next school year will be a disaster. If you are able to homeschool, that would probably be the best option for a predictable routine and best learning. However, many cannot/should not. Those parents just need to be prepared that next year will not provide optimal learning. It doesn't matter, the districts cannot do it. Hybrid or alternating days, what do those children do where do they go on their off days? If childcare ( if the parent can even afford it), then they are just getting the same amount of risk and you are actually spreading it out to more places. Staying there, what about teachers and support staff? Many are retiring because they are at risk. We will have a giant teacher shortage. Or the people they hired won't be equipped to do it well. I also see rolling closures. A few students get it and a teacher, so you close for 3 weeks to sanatize and give time for the people to get it that were exposed and you start again. It goes for a month, then another outbreak. You close for 3 weeks.

Yeah, I am so glad my last one graduated, though I hate her senior year got trashed and probably her freshman year of college.

Ha! Ha!!! You haven't taught, have you? First of all, is this recording live? Trying to record with kids in the classroom?? Privacy issues? Behavior issues? Kid throwing up in the middle of class issues? If not live, who records it? That teacher? A different teacher? I promise you, no teacher teaches the same thing the same way nor has the same requirements/expectations. They can vary widely. Internet is an issue. I live rurally. I had a couple of Zoom meeting yesterday and other internet things I had to do. It kept kicking me off.

Yeah, next school year will be a disaster. If you are able to homeschool, that would probably be the best option for a predictable routine and best learning. However, many cannot/should not. Those parents just need to be prepared that next year will not provide optimal learning. It doesn't matter, the districts cannot do it. Hybrid or alternating days, what do those children do where do they go on their off days? If childcare ( if the parent can even afford it), then they are just getting the same amount of risk and you are actually spreading it out to more places. Staying there, what about teachers and support staff? Many are retiring because they are at risk. We will have a giant teacher shortage. Or the people they hired won't be equipped to do it well. I also see rolling closures. A few students get it and a teacher, so you close for 3 weeks to sanatize and give time for the people to get it that were exposed and you start again. It goes for a month, then another outbreak. You close for 3 weeks.

Yeah, I am so glad my last one graduated, though I hate her senior year got trashed and probably her freshman year of college.

There are many issues (I never said anything about a recording or live feed, btw).

I am not knowledgeable on how video recording systems of this level would work. But, I think it might be difficult. You would have to set up a camera in every room, and that camera would have to have sufficient audio ability. You would then also have to be able to stream all of that live video. Do most schools have that ability already? Plus I wonder if there would be issues with FERPA. Is it possible to set up a system like that where students are not shown. What if the teacher had to interrupt instruction for a discipline issue, would everyone watching the lifestream be able to see that? I understand the reasons, and the need, for doing this, I’m just not sure how possible it is.

FERPA would prevent recording live classes and streaming them. The schools would not be able to truly control who was viewing the stream therefore they would not be able to protect student privacy.

There are many issues (I never said anything about a recording or live feed, btw).

The poster you quoted teaches a performing arts class. She was referring to having to perform concerts online. It can't be done. Other classes can give assessments online where as we in the performing arts cannot do this. How do you perform that concert online?

We generally have "chop shops" every Tuesday night in June. The first week, it was a zoom meeting; 2nd week was in person (they split the band... winds on Tuesday and perc/guard on Thursday) with all sorts of protocols in place, and then suddenly we got a notification that the would go back to zoom meetings. Obviously a bit difficult for a band setting much less anything else.

Our district has listed some PROPOSED plans, which specifically call for eliminating band, but do NOT mention eliminating sports. I don't mind saying, as a former band student myself and current very involved band parent, that if they cancel marching band but do NOT cancel football, I am going to be very, very angry.

The district I just retired from has said that there will be band, orchestra, and choir (the tricky one) but there will be no performances for the first semester because of large crowds. If the state changes the crowd limitations then they will review that policy for the December concerts.

They are doing marching band if the state high school activities association says there will be competitions. The state has not determined if there will be games played in front of fans.

My son's college announced that they are going back in August, but then, when everybody goes home for Thanksgiving break, everyone is staying home the rest of the semester, since it's only a week or two until finals anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter