What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

That’s kind of funny... I have three SIL’s who teach in Worcester and the impression they had is they will be in school a few weeks and then move online till after Christmas. It’s going to be interesting. Like I said before I’m glad we decided against sending our oldest to preschool this coming year.
That could also be a possibility. My daughter is at a public charter school in Worcester so they have more leeway in deciding what to do, but usually follow Worcester Public and were told that hybrid is the most likely right now. Who knows? I don’t think they really tell the teachers much anyway...until after the fact. Which is a shame for sure.

Yeah, zero seems a hard standard. Right now, my county's active cases are at 0.01% of the population and virtually all of them are nursing home residents. It would be a shame to keep schools closed over that, IMO. But at least you have guidelines... we're still waiting to see what our governor is going to allow and whether or not all the planning we've done so far will have to be re-done to comply with state mandates/recommendations.

Yes, I'm grateful we have at least a little something to go by. The state itself provided suggested guidelines, but said that the individual districts were allowed to devise their own reopening plans (which I think is a good thing) using their guidelines as framework.

I agree that zero cases is harsh. Maybe keep the threshold low, but none?! :confused3 What is the population of your county? 0.01 is really low!

Yes, I'm grateful we have at least a little something to go by. The state itself provided suggested guidelines, but said that the individual districts were allowed to devise their own reopening plans (which I think is a good thing) using their guidelines as framework.

I agree that zero cases is harsh. Maybe keep the threshold low, but none?! :confused3 What is the population of your county? 0.01 is really low!

We've got about 160K people and are mostly rural. Even though we're near the Detroit metro, we haven't seen a great deal of local spread. Even with things reopening and testing more available than ever, we're hovering between 0 and 2 new cases per day and have been for quite a while.

That could also be a possibility. My daughter is at a public charter school in Worcester so they have more leeway in deciding what to do, but usually follow Worcester Public and were told that hybrid is the most likely right now. Who knows? I don’t think they really tell the teachers much anyway...until after the fact. Which is a shame for sure.
And things can change so quickly. Who knows what the end of August will look like.
I just hope that the public schools are able to get kids adequate technology if they do a hybrid. Worcester really dropped the ball in getting kids computers and hotspots.

Right now they're proposing 4 scenarios:

Normal school operations: Would require ZERO active cases in the county. Yes, ZERO. So, needless to say, there will be no normal school operations.

Low-spread scenario: Less than 0.5% of the population of active cases in the county. As of last week, we had 0.11%. With low community spread of the virus, students and staff would be screened before entering school buildings, social distancing would be implemented when possible, and masks would be recommended for students and staff members. They said that requiring masks would be a practical impossibility -- that they will recommend if in close contact/shared space with someone for 15+ minutes.

Medium-spread scenario: 0.5%-1.0% of the population of active cases in the county. Under a medium spread of the virus, remote learning would begin with select activities on school campuses. Under these conditions, masks would be required of students and staff if feasible while on campus.

High-spread scenario: >1.0% of the population of active cases in the county. If the number of active cases exceeds 1% of the county's population, remote learning would be implemented, masks would be required, social distancing would be maintained, and no mass gatherings would occur.

I think it also said that the option of remote learning under all scenarios would be available if families wanted.

They're going to be sending out a survey to parents and employees next week and they'll have a final review of the plan in about a month.

At least they've got a plan, although, I wish the normal operations didn't mean absolutely no cases in the county.
Are you still in Davidson? Was Davidson ever in the medium spread range? My parents’ smaller county has had 0 active cases for a few days at a time. They are still <100 cumulative cases; currently 13 active.

I finally got a survey today from our district. We were given 3 choices: traditional back to school, hybrid model, distance model. I chose traditional. They asked some follow up questions such as whether your child has an IEP, or is another special category of student, whether you would need childcare if they used a hybrid or distance model, and then how important things like distancing, enhanced cleaning, health screenings, staggered start and end times, staggered lunch/recess, group collaboration opportunities, reducing class sizes are. There was also a section where you could say whatever you wanted with no character limit. I made it clear that students with IEPs did NOT get adequate supports during distance learning and that this population, among others with unique needs, need to return to traditional school as soon as possible.

Our school district has sent out two surveys over the last month with the types of questions that @DLgal got from hers. I for one am glad to be able to provide input into the process. DH knows someone pretty high up in our district through Rotary and we sometimes get an early scoop on what the school district is doing. No dice here, they just haven't finalized a plan yet.

Our school district has sent out two surveys over the last month with the types of questions that @DLgal got from hers. I for one am glad to be able to provide input into the process. DH knows someone pretty high up in our district through Rotary and we sometimes get an early scoop on what the school district is doing. No dice here, they just haven't finalized a plan yet.

I think I might be in the same area as you. The district I just retired from and the district next to it are going back to in-person as in normal. Those who do not feel safe sending them to in-person school will enroll in the district's online school we've had for several years. All students and staff will have to wear masks at all times, except PE and band.

The district surveyed the parents and this is what the parents wanted. They did tell the parents that if they have to close again it will be remote learning again.

The district I live in hasn't sent a survey out yet. Parents are getting a bit cranky with them.

I just got an email today about what duties I would prefer in September. I chose recess and am bus duty. Basically saying good morning to everyone. (And sometimes we dance) lunch seems too iffy to me. They are discussing putting plexiglass down the middle of the lunch tables. But what about side neighbors? How am I going to keep kids from sitting too close on that bench.

I have no idea what recess is going to look like either.

And I work in Special Ed. With elementary age behavior problem students. There is no way we will be able to social distance.

but at least they are thinking about it. If I didn’t have to I would rather not go back until it’s more under control. But it sounds like we will be jumping back in the fall.

Are you still in Davidson? Was Davidson ever in the medium spread range? My parents’ smaller county has had 0 active cases for a few days at a time. They are still <100 cumulative cases; currently 13 active.

I'm actually in Williamson (and what I posted was their guidelines), but to answer your question, I don't think Davidson has ever been quite in the medium-spread range if they wind up using the same guidelines as Williamson. Much higher percentage than us, but definitely less than 0.5%, I'm pretty sure.

I'm actually in Williamson (and what I posted was their guidelines), but to answer your question, I don't think Davidson has ever been quite in the medium-spread range if they wind up using the same guidelines as Williamson. Much higher percentage than us, but definitely less than 0.5%, I'm pretty sure.
Thank you. I didn’t think Davidson ever got that high a percentage. My county out of state is pretty similar to Williamson. The biggest difference is we don’t have county school systems. I expect the variation between local district policy will be significant.

I am from NE TN. I know they are planning for in person school there, but I don’t know what metrics have been put in place. My parents don’t worry about the details, since it doesn’t really affect them. At least you know what to expect; I guess that is something. ETA. My parents county is about half the size of Williamson.

GOOD NEWS from the LA Archdioceses - SCHOOLS WILL BE REOPENED IN THE FALL!! Just for reference, the LA Archdiocese school system is roughly the same size as the LA Unified Public school system, so this is no small thing. I don't want to turn this into a public vs. private school discussion, but suffice it to say I cannot be more impressed by the way my daughter's school, and really the entire Archdioceses, has handled the COVID crisis. They were the first to shut the schools (a bit of a shock to us as it happened via e-mail @ 8:30p as we were putting our kids to bed), immediately put together a plan to teach the kids remotely, spent two full days instructing the teachers, then the instruction was immediate and REAL - not the busy work we've seen from the public school. Now putting the plan for Fall in place less than a week since the school has been out for summer - well, I can only say THANK YOU for taking this off of our minds. I have full confidence that the schools will be safe, and the instruction in the Fall will be great with the kids will finally get to be face-to-face (so to speak) with their friends and teachers. Basically their viewpoint is what we have been saying all along; it is not worth the known negative effects on the kids to keep them out of the schools, in order to prevent the perceived danger from COVID (Google the AAP statement for more info on that).

To keep this on topic, here are the guidelines;
  • ADLA Starting the School Year Smart guidance: We are finalizing this document and you will receive it no later than Friday, June 19th. Though we planned to have our guidance document to you today, the modifications from the counties came in later than anticipated which has delayed us. In advance of the publication of ADLA guidance, we recommend that you review the California Department of Public Health guidance for PK-12 schools attached. We shared this document with you recently and it remains the basis for county public health orders for schools.
  • American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) statement: The letter refers to a recent statement from the Southern California chapter of the AAP. We have attached this statement for you to review and share at your discretion.
  • Guidance review sessions: DCS will be scheduling Deanery PLC (ES) or regional-level (HS) meetings with principals and presidents to review the guidance document and facilitate discussion and solutions. We believe small group discussions at the local level will result in more meaningful discussions, dialogue and planning with colleagues. Our focus will be on implementation strategies for distancing practices in and out of the classroom, school scheduling options, face covering rules, in-person/distance hybrid learning models, how to deal with reported cases, among others.
  • PPE: Our letter discusses efforts to secure Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from the state and local vendors. We are working with the state’s Office of Emergency Services and partner organizations to determine the most efficient distribution method. This 30-day supply is at no-cost and will include items such as hand sanitizer, face masks and shields (cloth and disposable) for students and staff, and no-touch thermometers. We will inform you on pick-up instructions as soon as possible. In addition, we have identified local vendors to purchase PPE from directly. One of these vendors is creating an exclusive website for our schools as well. Ordering information will be included in our guidance. For schools with a financial hardship, please advise your assistant superintendent of your needs and we will support you with resources to ensure your school community has the PPE it needs to re-open.
The ball is on your court, Long Beach Unified School District!

We just got a notice from my daughters school. I started another thread on it if you are interested. We are finding it’s not as simple as going back. Only 50% of class time will be in person and all dining halls closed. So she would only have classes two days a week in person and they also are required to wear masks anywhere on campus. Room and board prices are still the same, however.
What??? No dining halls? How are they supposed to eat? Yes, send me the link to the other thread - I am very interested in reading your other thread.
The dining halls will be takeout only. And I don’t know how to link the thread exactly. But it is titled “college parents...fall semester”. Also on this community board.😊
My daughter will be a senior at Virginia Tech this Fall. They've put out the following information:

- 30% of classes will be in person; 70% will be online/hybrid

- Classes will start on time, no Fall Break of Tgiving Break

- After Thanksgiving, classes and exams will pivot to all online

- Dining Halls will be "Grab and Go" only and will only be available to students with meal plans/dining dollars

- Only students living on campus will be allowed to purchase meal plans or dining dollars (so only 9100 out of 36,000 students will be able to buy food on campus. The other 26,900 will have to fend for themselves)

- Due to social distancing, only 9,100 students will be allowed to live on campus vs 10,400 who lived on campus last year. 1300 incoming students (including freshman who have been required to live campus in the past) had their on campus housing contracts revoked and had to go on campus housing wait lists or find alternate housing.

- Fall athletes have returned to campus for voluntary workouts. Rumor has it that football will be played but only season ticket holders will be allowed to attend, and it doesn't sound like student season tickets will be included in this group.

Lots of parents are up in arms about their freshman students losing housing (can't blame them) and about their off campus students being denied access to campus food (this is going to be tough for so many students). Amid the chaos, some students (especially freshman) are deferring a year. DD is a senior, so she's too far in to defer. She's living in a house with 4 other girls and will make the most of her last year of college. She says she's come to terms with the fact that it will not be at all the senior year she imagined., but I know it will really hit her once she's back on campus.

I'm a teacher at a small Catholic school. We are just now putting together a committee of staff, teachers and parents to work on how the guidelines will be put into place at our school. The administration is putting pressure on the teachers to plan out their Fall classes now. The only problem is that no one knows exactly what the Fall will look like yet. So we are being told to do the work/plan for every possible outcome. The result - I'm thinking about things, but won't do any real work until I know what it is I actually have to do. I do start a 3 week class on hybrid learning next week. Hopefully it will have some stuff I can use for my mostly discussion English classes???!!!

My mantra for next year - I will do the best I can, and that will have to be good enough.

We just got a date for when to expect a plan, here in Michigan - the governor said she plans to release the full school reopening plan on June 30. The bits she previewed so far don't look good for us. She said the plan will apply to public and private schools, and that like the rest of the reopening, the guidance will be tailored to the stage each zone is in. We're in the Detroit zone, despite never getting anything close to their rate of spread, so our rules will be the most restrictive/cautious. We were hoping for more leeway, either because we're a private school or because we're in an area with few cases, but the governor's initial comments don't make it sound like we'll get either.

We just got a date for when to expect a plan, here in Michigan - the governor said she plans to release the full school reopening plan on June 30. The bits she previewed so far don't look good for us. She said the plan will apply to public and private schools, and that like the rest of the reopening, the guidance will be tailored to the stage each zone is in. We're in the Detroit zone, despite never getting anything close to their rate of spread, so our rules will be the most restrictive/cautious. We were hoping for more leeway, either because we're a private school or because we're in an area with few cases, but the governor's initial comments don't make it sound like we'll get either.

But, would the governor’s (or maybe more like, the state superintendent’s) guidance have precedence over local county and district plans? I can’t imagine that being the case at least from what I’ve read of other areas around the country.

But, would the governor’s (or maybe more like, the state superintendent’s) guidance have precedence over local county and district plans? I can’t imagine that being the case at least from what I’ve read of other areas around the country.
I can only speak for my area, but our State Superintendent gave guidance. Our county Superintendent has given guidance. But ultimately it’s up to each individual district.

Our school district just announced a "committee" to explore the issue of what to do over the summer - with 100 people on it. Apparently they've never experienced a committee before?? I don't know how 100 people will ever be able to make a decision.

We've already decided to pull our three kids and homeschool next year. My kids got NO educational value out of "learn from home" this spring and I don't want them to lose another year of education. I've drafted the letter of intent and will send it to our school board this week.

I can only speak for my area, but our State Superintendent gave guidance. Our county Superintendent has given guidance. But ultimately it’s up to each individual district.

I think it is very smart for each individual district. They know their needs and communities. A district with a high percentage of poverty/at risk kids needs to figure out an in person full time solution much more than the community that can make distance learning work and have kids learning and fed and such.

Right now we have a huge percentage of kids across the US that teachers haven't heard from since Mid March. Many of these kids need school to be fed, taught how to wash their hands, sometimes be clothed and most importantly a break from the abuse at home (and be around mandatory reporters). Food being able to be picked up at a school is useless when no one takes it, food being dropped off is useless when someone else eats instead. School is safe for so many.

My alma mater will be returning to in-person classes in the fall with a modified schedule (ending early for Fall semester by removing breaks going home for Thanksgiving and not returning to campus (virtual finals from my understanding) and in spring starting later but removing spring break).

In any case this is the biggest development IMO: "A face covering must be worn in common areas and within six feet of any person anywhere on campus. The requirement will apply to all faculty, staff, students, affiliates, visitors, vendors and volunteers, according to the email. Violations of the new policy will be reported to Human Resource Management or Student Affairs."

Anyone on this thread have a kid in HS marching band? Any guidance from your school districts on that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter