What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't tell me you let them wear light up shoes too? :lmao:

(sorry its an ongoing joke on a baby board I frequent I could not help myself)

:lol:

Add that to the list of things I said I'd NEVER do too! As I always say, I was a much better parent before my kids arrived!

Slightly off topic but a young child has just been killed walking on the beach if she had been on a leash she may be alive now. Sorry if this offends anyone but the main reason I put them on my children is to keep them safe.

Such a sad thing. She had been walking along holding hands with her great uncle. She suddenly darted away and was hit. You can't always be sure what your child will do. Children are very unpredictable.

Living close to WDW, I visit there often. I've seen so many lost children over the past few years. I've even turned a couple over to security. I used a leash on my daughter when she was little. I would do it again.

Please don't tell me you let them wear light up shoes too? :lmao:

(sorry its an ongoing joke on a baby board I frequent I could not help myself)

:lmao: Yes they have, they are amazingly handy at night when we are camping. I too have had this "debate" on a parenting board :rotfl:

Wait what's the problem with light up shoes? My youngest is several years out of them so I guess I have missed this "controversy" but it sounds intriguing.
I can't wait to hear this one..............

Wait what's the problem with light up shoes? My youngest is several years out of them so I guess I have missed this "controversy" but it sounds intriguing.

I think they're very ugly, but I gave in and got them for my kids when they were little.

I'm for anything that will keep a child safe. While I've heard many opinions on this and other matters that some will use for their families I rather here the praises from the happy families and the whining from everybody else on how cruel it is than "OMG my child was lost".

I'm a parent that got one of those so called leashes for our youngest daughter who is now 4 and no longer needs it but 2 yrs ago when she was two she was a runner and while I can pretty much keep up with her in our normal circumstances here at home mix her quickness in with heavy crowds at WDW and we were looking potential disastrous situations in the face. To avoid that we purchased the leash. It work for us and I'm sure it works for others as well.

Now, I must get back to making wearable ID cards for our trip in 21days. :)

T.

I don't actually remember the alleged problem, it goes along with character clothes and Walmart. It has been a year or two since I have seen a good light up shoe debate on a message board I stay away now! I agree with the poster above they are awesome for camping! The shoes my kids WILL.NOT own are the ones with the squeakers in them, my kids are noisy enough.

Personally, i think it's no one's business if a parent chooses to use one of those "leashes". Unless their child is leashed up in the back yard all day long and is barking, there is nothing wrong with it You don't know someone else's circumstances. They are not against the law.

Another one of those topics where as parents you can't win.

If my child darts off in front of someone, I am a bad parent, (can't control my child) If my child is on leash (still a bad parent can't control my child need tether to do it.)

I don't care what parents do, if they think it will keep them safe and sound then go for it.

We haven't used one but I soon will have three children and only two hands so maybe one day I will need one.

I to was a fantastic parent before having children, so many things I thought have come back and bit me on the backside I parent how I parent and let the rest of the world get on with doing the same.

Kirsten

When DD5 was a baby I never thought of using a tether, but I also didn't have an opinion about other parents using them b/c that's their parenting decision, not mine.

Then DD2 came along, and I changed my tune. She won't stay in the stroller and will hold hands for about 60 seconds before something intrigues her and she's off! We used the monkey backpack type last Sept, because that was our way of providing some security for her (and sanity for us!)

I have a Monkey back pack that has a leash on it that I put on my 2 yr old when I go to Disney or even when I go to the the store. I use it for a safety reason. He likes to walk which is good exercise for him instead of sitting in a stroller all day. He likes to run off and this way he can't just dart away from me when I look away for a second. Another reason I like to use it is because if I hold his hand I am having to hold it at the wrist because he like to try to pull away from me and I am always afraid that I will twist his wrist or hold to tight and break something in his hand. So that is why I use it and I am not ashamed to use it.:thumbsup2

This is me as well. Same thing, down to the monkey backpack. I never had to use one with my first child, but #2 was a big time runner!

I don't like them. I won't use them. I taught my kids early on either hold hands or sit in the stroller, decide on the lesser of 2 evils.

Here is my PSA: The wrist type leashes probably aren't safe for younger children. Small children are prone to "nursemaids elbow." Which is basically a dislocated elbow caused by pulling on the child's arm. It is easily fixed, but it is very painful for the child.

I'm 26 and my parents used to use a leash on me when I was probably ~2-4 years old. I was stubborn and would not hold hands. I wasn't a darter, but the opposite- I would stop, pout, and not follow anyone. Even if my parents walked out of sight, I wouldn't follow. Each year we spent a week on Sanibel Island and my dad used to tell people I was alligator bait. :rotfl2:

I think they're a great tool for parents and they're a heck of a lot easier to maneuver than a stroller. I was never one for strollers either. Hmmm, no wonder my parents curse me that I'll have a child just like me :rolleyes:. I have 7 more months to prepare myself.

the leash i had the harnis go around her body and the leash part came out of the back.

this was really good when she was learning to walk (or pretty new at it) and would stumble or trip because it kept her from falling on her face.

interesting enough the one i have was sent to me from my aunt in England and my mother told me she had one like it when i was dd's age so they aren't new - at least not in England

How will the leash work on a 5 year old? A 5 year old will be able to release the latch. If they can't keep him from running off, how will they keep from removing the leash.:confused3

The puppy backpack leash I have is VERY tough to get off. Mine can either be harnessed on the side or the back of the puppy. I have a hard time getting it off, so I know a 5 yr old couldnt do it. Now the wrist leash is another story. He could probably get that one off.

We used the harness type for my nephews when they were about 3 and 5. One is autistic and the other ADHD. I would challenge any person who doesn't think there necessary at all for any reason to walk around with the two of them for a couple of hours. I can almost gurantee your tune would change. When they were not in the stroller it reallly was a life saver.

Some people thought they were the greatest things when they saw us with them. Then at other times we got hateful comments. It was kind of funny at the MNSSHP my oldest nephew got down on all fours like a dog when he saw pluto. The picture was even better with the leash. lol!

For the record I never had to use them for my kids, but they are not special needs either. If I thought they needed them I wouldn't have hesitated.

97 posts = 92 YES/If I had to and 5 No Ways...guess I'm gonna get stock in Disney harnesses;)

FWIW, DS needed one desperately, more because he hated strollers or anything else that limited his mobility. I love the idea that kids get lots of exercise using them too instead of lounging:laughing:

DD was WAY too happy to lounge and never needed one. This child would spend her own money to rent a stroller at the mall because I felt she was too old and gave hers away, lol...

Light up shoes are just one topic that will cause drama on a parenting message board lol! Here's a few topics to avoid:

spanking
Circumcision
breast vs bottle
character clothes
big hair bows - there was HUGE drama on a board I was on :lmao:
returning your shopping carts
Stay at home vs working mom
Harnessing

That's all I can think of at the moment :rotfl:

Don't forget;
Welfare
solid foods
co sleeping

and OMG what is with the hair bows, we had that one a few times floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter