What do you think about putting children on a leash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second the muzzles, I sometimes want to put one on my kid
.:lmao:

I'd rather put the muzzle on the parents... I am ok with the leashes on the kids. This way the parents can have a nice time not having to watch the kids so clearly plus it keeps the child close by side. So to recap. A leash for the kids and a muzzle for the parents. Good now that is sorted out. ;)

Getting the Monkey backpack leash for my ds2 was the best decision I made! He hates the stroller and will hold my hand for about 2 minutes and thats it! He has no fear and will take off in a matter of seconds. I also have 3 other kids so having to chase after him is hard. The monkey worked really well and he liked wearing it. I did get alot of dirty looks in the parks but I could care less. I would rather have my kid with me safe then disappear on me.

I'm not a parent, however, DH and I are bringing his Sis and BIL and their DD-7 and their DS-5 and my nephew will probably have to be on a "leash" during the trip. My DN ran away at Disney on Ice a few weeks back because he heard the music starting and didn't want to miss anything. My SIL was pretty frightened. I can't imaging losing him at WDW!

I also wanted to add that before #4 i also thought I would never put a leash on my child. Boy did I eat my words when he came! I would dare anyone who says they would never use a leash to take my son for a day to a crowded place! I went to the mall yesterday and in gap he decided to climb out of his stroller (he was straped in) and ran to the shelf of bright pink shirts and pushed them all on the floor! So I ran over and tried to put the shirts back with one hand and with my other hand trying to hold on to him as he is pulling away from me. Fun times with my adventurous 2 yr old!

I'm not a parent, but I honestly don't see the argument against them, especially when crowds and distractions are commonplace - it gives the child a bit of independence while staying safe. Holding hands for long periods of time can be uncomfortable for both adults and children.

I'm 38 and my mom has told me she had to use a leash on me when I was little, so they've been around for a looong time. Sister and brother didn't need one. For those of you who use one - I can attest that I have grown up to be a normal, productive member of society and have a loving relationship with those same horrible ;) parents who leashed me (and who, by the way, are taking the whole family to the World in May). I'm pretty sure that any residual family "issues" I have are due to my rebellious teenage years, not my rebellious toddler ones :rolleyes1

I'm not a parent, however, DH and I are bringing his Sis and BIL and their DD-7 and their DS-5 and my nephew will probably have to be on a "leash" during the trip. My DN ran away at Disney on Ice a few weeks back because he heard the music starting and didn't want to miss anything. My SIL was pretty frightened. I can't imaging losing him at WDW!

How will the leash work on a 5 year old? A 5 year old will be able to release the latch. If they can't keep him from running off, how will they keep from removing the leash.:confused3

If a tether saves the life of at least one child I am all for them! There are nasty, nasty people out there...sadly, even at WDW!!

When I went to WDW last year I did not have anything for my child, (who was 18 months and a runner!) but it was fine because we were a large party and someone always had an eye on her or had her hand. This year its just me and my 2 year old so I fear she will run off in such instances like in a QS restaurant when I have a food tray and can't hold her hand. For this purpose I got one of those little gadgets that has 2 bracelets attached but a cord (similar to a phone cord) that stretches up to 5'6". So she can still be attached to me and not run. I looked at leashes but I didn't feel comfortable putting her in one. Just my perogative. I definitely don't look down on parents who do choose them. I know what its like to have a rambunctious child who will run at any moment!

How will the leash work on a 5 year old? A 5 year old will be able to release the latch. If they can't keep him from running off, how will they keep from removing the leash.:confused3
With my son it worked by having it in my pocket, he knew it was there and if he acted up he would be wearing it.:banana:

We only used them for our twins, in crowded conditions when they were under3. Otherwise, they'd always be stuck in the stroller. It's very easy to lose a child when you have 5 little ones. BTW, they LOVED those harnesses, and we stopped using them when we lost one, and they'd fight over it! :rotfl2:

I've never used a harness, but I've certainly put my children in strollers and they've had to stay there if they wouldn't stay close to me, so I don't really see this as any different. I never understand why people feel the need to judge other parents over things like this.

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not, so ...

I've never seen a mom sitting in the shuttle yanking on an astronauts neck, saying "Stop touching the merchandise"
That's because the astronauts are, for the most part, better behaved than toddlers and are expected to know better.

Why do school yards put a ball on a tether?
- So they can smack it around, and spend some energy and aggression
That's a game called "tetherball," not "smack the kid around."

Why do you put a dog on a leash?
- So the animal doesn't get away from you
And why should you care if the animal/astronaut/child runs away? When you answer that question, you'll know.

I'm not against them. I think if I was a parent of a small child, I'd be really worried about my kid getting lost, especially in a huge and crowded place like Disney :scared1: And the kid isn't stuck sitting in the stroller the whole trip. So I don't think kid leashes are terrible, but some people just have to get used to the idea of them.

I saw 4 children on leashes last week at the Magic Kingdom. It's not something that we ever felt the need to do. I'm sure the parents who do this have their own reasons.

I call them harnesses, and I am fine with using them. My mom used them with my brother and I when we were little, because she wanted to keep us safe. And that's it...they are to keep children safe, when the adults feel the children cannot be safe in other ways.

Are there people who use them inappropriately? Sure. Same with strollers. Same with holding hands (ever hear of nursemaid's elbow?). But that's the adult, not the device.

Before having kids many people will make judgements upon encountering 'the leash.' Some parents never had to use it with their typically developing well behaved children, and those parents think of 'the leash' as an abomination. However, others must rely on this 'dreaded device' to make sure their special needs kid, or super hyper child, doesn't get lost or run away from them. I always think that the world would be a better place if people would withold judgement until they walk a mile in the other person's shoes. Unless you live with a problem on a daily basis, it's best not to pass judgement on other people who do. For the record, we've never used one, but we can certainly see the value of 'the leash' under special circumstances.

pro leash here too

we had one for dd when she was 2-3 years old and we were in WDW or a busy mall like around christmas

having her on it let her walk without having her arm hauled up in the air. it gave her some freedom without letting her take off (which she had done in the past)

people should look at it more of parents protecting their children while giving them a little freedom to be independent rather then treating them as a dog or something else as i've heard some people call it (not op)

(I also swore I'd never let my kids wear character clothing, but the first time my son seen a Spiderman shirt and his eye's lit up.....well you know how that ended ;) )

Please don't tell me you let them wear light up shoes too? :lmao:

(sorry its an ongoing joke on a baby board I frequent I could not help myself)

I have a 14 year old autistic son. When he was about 7, I took him to WDW alone. He never really grew out of the need for a stroller & hates to hold hands. I used his bus harness & a retractable leash. He was faster than me & stronger. The leash let him know his boundries & kept everyone safe.

I have always been against leashes on children but, maybe if I had used one at age 4, he would have grown out of the "no holding hands phase" & I wouldn't need one today?

Oh after reading this thread I talked to hubby, he said we are getting one for the 13 year old and the baby. We just won't put it on the 13 year old unless he wonders off. We will just threaten to harness him with a pooh backpack.

Slightly off topic but a young child has just been killed walking on the beach if she had been on a leash she may be alive now. Sorry if this offends anyone but the main reason I put them on my children is to keep them safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter