What are you top things to do at WDW that don't require a park ticket?

Well, top of our list is always swimming. Just at our resort. Swimming is limited here at home and it's our favorite family activity when we visit WDW. Second would be the Winter Summerland mini golf although there is a cost associated with that. Third would be getting an ice cream at Disney Springs and sitting and listening to the music at the stage area outside World of Disney. Such a relaxing and fun evening activity! We always seem to hit great musicians and it's just extra special.

I've got a few things, depending on price level:

Free: walking/sailing/monorail hopping around the Seven Seas Lagoon. Now with the bridge between Grand Floridian and MK done, you can walk from MK to the TTC. I haven't been since the bridge was done, but the rest of the walk is really lovely, especially along the Poly and GF beaches. You can then extend this trip by boat to the Wilderness Lodge and Ft Wilderness. It's cool to check out the other resorts if you've never been, especially around Christmas time when they are all decorated. Even better when the weather is nice!

Moderately priced: Mini golf at Fantasia Gardens. I prefer going at night when the course is all lit up, and because it's cooler and there are generally less people.

Expensive-ish: Afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian.

Off of PattnFmly above, I love getting an ice cream at Ghirardelli in Disney Springs. My hot tip is instead of ordering a pre-made sundae, ask for a warm brownie a la carte with a scoop of ice cream and hot fudge.

Some of these are currently suspended due to COVID - Beach Club - Beaches & Cream walk up window; Boardwalk - Games and Entertainment; Ride the Skyliner and walk around Riviera, AOA, etc; Fort Wilderness - rent a golf cart, especially when Halloween or Christmas decorations are up, Chip & Dale singalong, campfire; Poly - Trader Sams, Dole Whips; Grand Floridian - shop at Basin White, listen to pianist and GFSO (please please bring them back Disney); OKW - eat at Olivias; Disney Springs - my kids love the Coca-Cola Rooftop, Splitsville lanes, entertainment.

Perfect timing. We were just talking about things to do when we go this June. I was hoping to only spend five of our eight days in the parks. I really want to spend a day+ exploring other resorts. Our youngest, soon be 11, has never been to the AKL.

I have read about the trail from the WL to FW and would like to check that out. We are staying at the BLT so that is doable.

Is it possible to rents bikes for a full day?

Laying poolside at All Star Music while getting a tan, watching the kids play games with the pool staff, enjoying the music and just relaxing.

I wholeheartedly 2nd this!! Only thing missing that I’d like to add to what you wrote is with an adult beverage in my hand!! 😂 🍹

I also enjoy going to breakfast and/or dinner at some of the other resorts.

I have read about the trail from the WL to FW and would like to check that out. We are staying at the BLT so that is doable.
Sadly, the trail between WL and FW is closed for the foreseeable future. It was shut down when they began construction on the DVC resort, Reflections, and remained closed even after they stopped that project.

Is it possible to rents bikes for a full day?
We really enjoyed biking within FW and normally, they do offer $20/full day rentals. Note that bike rentals at WL are currently closed, per the WDW website. Besides FW, another biking area that I can easily recommend is at SSR. A ride through the Treehouse Villas section is lovely and shady. You may ride part way around the lake from SSR toward the West Side part of Disney Springs, though you would not want to take a bicycle into DS. There's a path between SSR and OKW resort as well.

Drinking, relaxing, hanging by the pool and/or eating. This could all be done at the same time or at separate times. :laughing:

We did the bikes at boardwalk last trip. I almost died, twice, but we made it and it was fun. :rotfl2:I was thisclose to having DD12 get out and push me up that incline.

Last edited:
Favorites:
  • Boat rides on Bay Lake between resorts, and between resorts & MK. (We used to rent sailboats/sunfish, not available anymore.)
  • Skyliner rides with a stop at a resort for a meal and a walk.
  • Boat rides between Disney Springs and resorts (especially in the evening) with a stop for snacks/coffee.
  • Long walks or bike rides - FW, SSR. (Also, DHS to Epcot on a cool day. Looking forward to the TTC>Poly>GF>MK>CR walk next time.)
  • Monorail resort hop for viewing Christmas decorations and dessert/coffee.
  • Evening drinks at WL's Geyser Point overlooking the lake.
  • Late lunch at AKL's Sanaa with animal viewing.
  • If we have young grandkids with us, a playground visit to FW or Port Orleans Riverside.
  • Beautiful resort pools for a leisurely afternoon.
  • Did I mention boat rides, Skyliner, walks, & biking? :)

We have yet to be on the skyliner! We will try that and a have a few drinks on the way.

Run every morning.
TS dinner at resorts.
Hoop tee doo Musical Review, Mickey's Barbeque. (Have only done each once.)
Spa massages and facials.
Splitsville bowling.
Boat dessert party.
I enjoy seeing other resorts to check them out for future stays. (DH not a fan of doing this.)
Animals at AKL and like the gift shop.
Evening cocktails and r and r on balcony. (DH is the cocktail guy I just like the r and r side of things sometimes.)
Make your own progressive dinner on monorail line. Drink at one place. The Wave.
Appetizer at the next. Ohana - sit at bar area.
Salad a different place Narcoossee - sit at bar area.
Main course another Citricos or California Grill.
and then dessert at a final place. (We usually skip dessert when we do this or get later.)
Progressive dinner on gondola routes at different resorts. You can do the same at DS. You can make a fun day of trying this and that but never ordering a full meal. Split a lot of things.
I personally love walking between parks EPCOT and HS, on the Boardwalk, around Hourglass Lake, and through resorts just to check them out. I am so happy you can now walk from the transportation center to the Poly to GF to MK to CR. I am not a pool person but long walks in the warm sun are good for me when not in the parks. I love leaving the snow behind. (We usually Disney in January.)

When we were at SSR we did a scavenger hunt. My wife and 3 DDs formed two teams. I got to sit at the pool and drink. They had fun and so did I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter