What Are You Reading Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't laugh...I just finished "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM" with my 4th grade book club. What an awesome book!!! I had forgotten how good it was.

OH I loved these books!! We read them in 4th grade also :) I really forgot all about them. Now I want to re-read them too :D

I'm just starting A Vineyard in Tuscany by Ferenc Mate. It claims to be a wine lover's dream, and I am definitely a wine lover so I hope to enjoy it :D

I had to kill time yesterday so I went to Barnes and Noble. I grabbed a sandwich there and needed a book to read so I picked up the The Glass Castle. It's been on my "I want to read this" list for awhile. It's good so far, so I'm going to put A Thousand Splendid Suns on hold and read this one.

I finished The Glass House last night. What an awesome book. I felt the ending could have been a touch better, but overall I enjoyed it. Now I will start the other one.

I was reading, Fairly Odd, by Dean Koontz. It's my second attempt. I put it down again. I just can't get into it. I usually love Dean Koontz so this is a disappointment. Maybe I'll try again another time.

Now I'm reading, The Fifth Victim, by Beverly Barton. (It's actually written by Wendy Corsi Staub as Beverly Barton.) It's different. A good mystery, but disturbing. The language is raw at times. In keeping with her other books, it's hard to put down.

Would you like me to send you my copy when I'm finished reading it?? :)
That's very nice of you to offer!!! :goodvibes I'll get it when it comes out in paperback because then I can pass it on to my DD's & a few other people that I usually lend books to.

I read I Heard That Song Before by Mary Higgins Clark while in WDW. Easy, fun read for vaction. I am currently reading Atonement. It's very descriptive. I'm a little over 100 pages in & I think I'll enjoy it, but it takes some getting used to the writing style.

I'm reading James Patterson's , The Quickie. I'm not going to comment yet, but so far, it's really moving quickly. I also just read These Is My Words, The Diary of Sarah Prine. What an amazing story.

Blue Highways: A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon

There's been a slew of classical music historical fiction lately, and I just finished reading one, Symphony by Jude Morgan. I really liked it, and it taught me some new things about Berlioz. I just started Makin' Toons by Allan Neuwirth. Jim Hill recommended it awhile ago, but I'm just now getting around to reading it.

I just finished the last harry potter book. I have already read the chronciles of narnia, and lord of the rings twice, I hear Ken Follet's Pillars of Earth and the sequel are good? worth my time? what about "time traveler's wife?"

Same thing for me with Lisey's Story - read about 20 pages of it and quit. That has never happened to me before with S King.

I used to be a Stephen King fanatic... then lost interest... any worth reading?
(boy wish I could go back in time, and never have read "the Stand" "the Shining", or even "the long Walk")

This is a great thread! What an interesting and diverse reading selection we have going on here!
I also loved Wicked--but I read it well before I saw it on stage. Loved the statement "This all could have been avoided had she just put a leash on the dog"! It does take a bit of work to get into, though. Side note--after reading the book and then seeing the play, I didn't like the play as much as DH who hadn't read the book. I think I was expecting more...
I.

hmm/ when hubby bought me tickets to the play, I bought the book. then someone told me.... "DON'T read it!"" not the same. I tried to read it... lost interest. now that I have seen the play, should I read it?

That's very nice of you to offer!!! :goodvibes I'll get it when it comes out in paperback because then I can pass it on to my DD's & a few other people that I usually lend books to.
No problem, just thought I'd offer :)

So you are enjoying Atonement? I couldn't get past the first 5 pages talking about the kids and the play. Disgusted and bored, I put it back on my shelf. Should I give it another try?

ETA: Hey, how was WDW?!

Smidgy, I had a really hard time getting into Wicked. Then, after seeing the play, I finished the book. For me, it was much easier to get into after the play. So, I would try it again. :teeth:

"mouse trap" by kevin lee (memoir of a disneyland cast member)

"walt disney world resort guide to the magic: the lost journals" by tim foster

"building a better mouse" by steve alcorn & david green
(the story of the electronic imagineers who designed epcot)

"pinky & stinky" by james kochalka (cartoons with astronaut pigs)

what about "time traveler's wife?"
Time Traveler's Wife was a very good book. I didn't enjoy it at first, however. It took me a while to get into it. I wasn't crazy about the whole time traveling thing, but when I got past that I really enjoyed the characters & ended up really liking the book.

No problem, just thought I'd offer :)

So you are enjoying Atonement? I couldn't get past the first 5 pages talking about the kids and the play. Disgusted and bored, I put it back on my shelf. Should I give it another try?

ETA: Hey, how was WDW?!
Atonement...............let's just say I'm not sure I'd recommend it at this point. It starts picking up & then it slows right down again. The author is very long winded & sometimes I just get lost in what he is trying to say.

Then I'll get to the next chapter & it's very interesting & the book seems to get on track again.

At this point I'm over 100 pages in so I'll finish it, but at points I'm having a hard time with it.

The play thing actually sets the stage for the personality of one of the characters, but it certainly shouldn't have taken over 20 pages to do that, so that's what I mean about the author being long winded about things. A paragraph or 2 can describe & set the stage for a character.

WDW was wonderful as always. I really enjoy it & relax while we are there. No commando park time for us anymore!!! The best part is while we were there Southwest flights came out for October, rates were great & I had 5 one-way free tickets, so we will be going back then!!! :cool1:

Last night I finished reading the wonderful Gothic novel Clermont by Marie Regina Roche. This is one of the Gothic novels referenced in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and it is a fun read.

No sooner did I finish Clermont than I picked up a non-fiction title: On Holiday: A History of Vacationing by Orvar Lofgren.

Wicked- Dark, demented, quite amusing. MUCH different than the play! I liked "Son of a Witch" even more. Others by Maguire, not so much.
I am reading "The Thirteenth Tale" right now. It is wonderful. It has all kinds of little twists and turns. It is so good! I highly recommend it.

I am reading "The Thirteenth Tale" right now. It is wonderful. It has all kinds of little twists and turns. It is so good! I highly recommend it.

I have this on my shelf to read & am looking forward to getting to it. If I can just get myself through Atonement.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter