What are the benefits of RCI?

strine56

Mouseketeer
I was able to save about 8900 dollars at Animal Kingdom, Kidani Village, Disneyworld. I did an exchange with my WolrdMark timeshare for a 1 week stay in a 2 bedroom, Savannah view at Kidani Village, Disneyworld. I did have to be placed on a long 2 year wait list. The exchange rate was 10,000 credits. It was still worth the wait to save that much money.

I would never trade out to RCI with my DVC membership because the value isn't there for me. There aren't that much nice resorts for the price of the MFs dues on your DVC membership. For those that owns DVC, I would say the value is not much unless you have points that are expiring that you can't bank.

Now, if own a different timeshare, using RCI can be great, like you said, OP, WorldMark and Wyndham trades very well in RCI and can often get into DVC resorts for cheaper than the cost DVC membership / contract. But, you do have to wait for a trade match, assuming you have enough RCI TPUs or RCI points to trade into DVC Resorts. Of course, nowadays, you pretty much only get 1 bedroom SSR units, when trading thru RCI into DVC.

Great3

Last edited:
I would never trade out to RCI with my DVC membership because the value isn't there for me. There aren't that much nice resorts for the price of the MFs dues on your DVC membership. For those that owns DVC, I would say the value is not much unless you have points that are expiring that you can't bank.

Now, if own a different timeshare, using RCI can be great, like the above poster said, WorldMark and Wyndham trades very well in RCI and can often get into DVC resorts for cheaper than the cost DVC membership / contract. But, you to wait for a trade match, assuming you have enough RCI TPUs or RCI points to trade in DVC Resorts. Of course, nowadays, you pretty much only get 1 bedroom SSR units.

Great3
I was also recently able to get a great deal at Saratoga Springs. I know that is a much bigger DVC resort and easier to get in to than the other DVC resorts. It was still worth the 2 year wait. You do have to be patient and you have to be open to other DVC options.

Now, if own a different timeshare, using RCI can be great, like you said, OP, WorldMark and Wyndham trades very well in RCI and can often get into DVC resorts for cheaper than the cost DVC membership / contract. But, you do have to wait for a trade match, assuming you have enough RCI TPUs or RCI points to trade into DVC Resorts. Of course, nowadays, you pretty much only get 1 bedroom SSR units, when trading thru RCI into DVC.

Great3

From what I have read, trading out from DVC to RCI is not a good trade of points. Maybe trading the other direction works better.
From when we purchased, using points for RCI or a Disney Cruise is a terrible use of points.

I was able to save about 8900 dollars at Animal Kingdom, Kidani Village, Disneyworld. I did an exchange with my WolrdMark timeshare for a 1 week stay in a 2 bedroom, Savannah view at Kidani Village, Disneyworld. I did have to be placed on a long 2 year wait list. The exchange rate was 10,000 credits. It was still worth the wait to save that much money.

Normally 2br’s are not seen in rci for a DVC resort. At the very least a 2br is a very rare unicorn at WDW. Normally getting a 1Br is of good value for RCI exchangers so you getting a 2br is of even better value. Recently RCI have only seen 1Br at SSR, but that’s in open inventory. A lot of people have searches ongoing in RCI and it seems that RCI is prioritizing some mini systems over others for the DVC matches.

Congrats on the exchange.

Great3

I totally agree, the value of using your DVC points in RCI is just not there(IMO) I would much rather rent my points and use that money towards renting through an owner at the resort I want to stay at or book through one of the hotel booking sites.

From what I have read, trading out from DVC to RCI is not a good trade of points. Maybe trading the other direction works better.
From when we purchased, using points for RCI or a Disney Cruise is a terrible use of points.

Basically using your DVC points to anything else than a DVC resort is poor value and use of points.

Comparing to rack rates, even discount, is not a valid comparison IMO. So the difference is not as large as you state plus there are other costs including acquisition costs of Worldmark, the exchange fees, the EXTRA $195 fee Disney charges and the maintenance fees for Worldmark. But I'd agree it can be a great option. Personally I do both. I own DVC but most of my stays over the last 20 years have been on exchange. I've had well over 50 exchange units over the years but the options are not what they used to be exchanging the last couple of years.

Was there a question in the original post, titled, "What are the benefits of RCI?"
Sorry if I missed it ... ??

I think the OP is a member of RCI, they do get a good deal trading into a DVC resort, not so much the other direction.

Comparing to rack rates, even discount, is not a valid comparison IMO. So the difference is not as large as you state plus there are other costs including acquisition costs of Worldmark, the exchange fees, the EXTRA $195 fee Disney charges and the maintenance fees for Worldmark. But I'd agree it can be a great option. Personally I do both. I own DVC but most of my stays over the last 20 years have been on exchange. I've had well over 50 exchange units over the years but the options are not what they used to be exchanging the last couple of years.
Some of the OP's math, including WM MF, RCI Membership Fee, Exchange fee is found > here. His 2BR AKV was near or crossing a peak season (Easter) and the rack rate, according to CRO, was $10k.

How long ago was that? We did something similar in 2014 (love love loved our week at Animal Kingdom, Kidani), but then Disney apparently changed the rules, and nowadays, almost the only thing that shows up for exchanges with RCI are 1 bedroom units, and those mostly at SSR.

I should also tell you that for the last 3 years, I have been on an RCI waiting list, asking to exchange into ANY 2 bedroom DVC unit, ANYWHERE in Disney World, and, on ANY dates. If anything opens up, I will make it happen, no matter when it falls. In addition, I paid RCI a $250 deposit (which they still have) to keep my search 'active.' And, guess what? In 3 years NO NIBBLES. (Oh, and I also have Worldmark Timeshare.) Essentially, that says that there must not have been ANY 2 bedroom DVC units available through RCI in the lst 3 years.

So, if you expect to trade into DVC with RCI, you will have a very limited number of units and a very poor selection and they will be at the less popular resorts and probably in 1 Bedrooms.

Disney has the right of first refusal on RCI trades, too. Meaning, if a DVC member goes to trade into RCI by giving up their DVC points, Disney almost always grabs those DVC points, rents out the unit for cash, and then it gives RCI some RCI points to compensate. At least that is how I understand it.

I have been a WorldMark owner for over 24 years. We paid off our timeshare around 20 years ago and have only 6000 credits per year. We borrowed some credits for the following year to get the 10,000 credits for the exchange. We pay $728.80 per year in Maintenance fees. Half of those fees is $364.40. Than there is the RCI membership fees $99.00 and the exchange fee. The exchange fee is now $230.00. I paid between $1422.20 and 1500.00 for a 2 bedroom Kidani with a savannah view at Animal Kingdom. Our stay was right before Easter. That is why I am willing to get on the 2 year wait list. LOL!

Last edited:
I have been a WorldMark owner for over 24 years. We paid off our timeshare around 20 years ago and have only 6000 credits per year. We borrowed some credits for the following year to get the 10,000 credits for the exchange. We pay $728.80 per year in Maintenance fees. Half of those fees is $364.40. Than there is the RCI membership fees $99.00 and the exchange fee. The exchange fee is now $230.00. I paid between $1422.20 and 1500.00 for a 2 bedroom Kidani with a savannah view at Animal Kingdom. Our stay was right before Easter. That is why I am willing to get on the 2 year wait list. LOL!
I get it but my point was there are fees. As you've posted you'd have to count over 1.5 years of fees. Your real fees are around . Very few 2 BR are listed but if you're able/willing to wait list that far out it does make a difference. Most of my stays are on exchanges even though we are also owners. Most of those over the years have been about $300-350 all in, low enough that we often did long weekends and wasted the rest or gave it away. But those days are done with increased costs both on the exchanges side and the trading option side plus the unlikely option of a 2 BR going forward. I get closer to $1800 per stay because of the extra $195 fee and the 2 years of RCI to get one exchange. My costs would be cheaper with Bluegreen but either way it's still a bargain comparatively speaking IF it works out.

How long ago was that? We did something similar in 2014 (love love loved our week at Animal Kingdom, Kidani), but then Disney apparently changed the rules, and nowadays, almost the only thing that shows up for exchanges with RCI are 1 bedroom units, and those mostly at SSR.

I should also tell you that for the last 3 years, I have been on an RCI waiting list, asking to exchange into ANY 2 bedroom DVC unit, ANYWHERE in Disney World, and, on ANY dates. If anything opens up, I will make it happen, no matter when it falls. In addition, I paid RCI a $250 deposit (which they still have) to keep my search 'active.' And, guess what? In 3 years NO NIBBLES. (Oh, and I also have Worldmark Timeshare.) Essentially, that says that there must not have been ANY 2 bedroom DVC units available through RCI in the lst 3 years.

So, if you expect to trade into DVC with RCI, you will have a very limited number of units and a very poor selection and they will be at the less popular resorts and probably in 1 Bedrooms.

Disney has the right of first refusal on RCI trades, too. Meaning, if a DVC member goes to trade into RCI by giving up their DVC points, Disney almost always grabs those DVC points, rents out the unit for cash, and then it gives RCI some RCI points to compensate. At least that is how I understand it.

It was about 5 or 6 years ago. I remember having a high number of picks of what ever DVC resort I wanted. The only resorts I could not choose were the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian. Aulani was not available at that time. I was more than happy to choose the 2 bedroom Kidani Village, Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was only 10,000 credits. I guess Disney knew it had to do something. It was just to good of a deal and I guess they had to figure away to put a stop to it. I have saved so much money using my WorldMark Timeshare via RCI. The second time around I was only able to get a 1 bedroom at the DVC Saratoga Springs Resort. Getting the DVC Saratoga Resort was still an amazing deal.

Last edited:
It was about 5 or 6 years ago. I remember having a high number of picks of what ever DVC resort I wanted. The only resorts I could not choose were the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian. Aulani was not available at that time. I was more than happy to choose the 2 bedroom Kidani Village, Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was only 10,000 credits. I guess Disney knew it had to do something. It was just to good of a deal and I guess they had to figure away to put a stop to it. I have saved so much money using my WorldMark Timeshare via RCI. The second time around I was only able to get a 1 bedroom at the DVC Saratoga Springs Resort. Getting the DVC Saratoga Resort was still an amazing deal.
Those days are gone, at least for now and likely permanently unless there's some reason people stop traveling to WDW. Now it's basically SSR 1 BR.

.....(snip).......I should also tell you that for the last 3 years, I have been on an RCI waiting list, asking to exchange into ANY 2 bedroom DVC unit, ANYWHERE in Disney World, and, on ANY dates. If anything opens up, I will make it happen, no matter when it falls. In addition, I paid RCI a $250 deposit (which they still have) to keep my search 'active.' And, guess what? In 3 years NO NIBBLES. (Oh, and I also have Worldmark Timeshare.) Essentially, that says that there must not have been ANY 2 bedroom DVC units available through RCI in the lst 3 years.

So, if you expect to trade into DVC with RCI, you will have a very limited number of units and a very poor selection and they will be at the less popular resorts and probably in 1 Bedrooms................

Those days are gone, at least for now and likely permanently unless there's some reason people stop traveling to WDW. Now it's basically SSR 1 BR.

A bit off topic, but every time I see reports like these I chuckle to myself because according to Yvonne, demand for 1 bedrooms is greater than the demand for 2 bedrooms - which is why they had to increase points for BOTH studios and 1 bedrooms and decrease points for 2 bedrooms. (See threads re rescinded 2020 point charts).
So if that is the case, it's indeed very interesting that DVC chooses to deposit so many 1 bedrooms instead of 2 bedrooms. :scratchin

A bit off topic, but every time I see reports like these I chuckle to myself because according to Yvonne, demand for 1 bedrooms is greater than the demand for 2 bedrooms - which is why they had to increase points for BOTH studios and 1 bedrooms and decrease points for 2 bedrooms. (See threads re rescinded 2020 point charts).
So if that is the case, it's indeed very interesting that DVC chooses to deposit so many 1 bedrooms instead of 2 bedrooms. :scratchin

Also a bit off-topic, and it is totally anecdotal, but - I was comparing the point charts on RIV to the cash prices for reservations to the general public for late Dec 2019, and if you do a charge per point comparison, I think Disney charges more "per point" for 1BR. I have no idea what this means, though, other than cash prices for 1BR are relatively higher than the point prices for 1BR.

We need to keep that point in mind, since, if we ever do need to mount some type of legal challenge to Disney, it would be good to show what they REALLY think, based on their own behavior.

Remember part of the demand is their decision to deposit mostly SSR 1 BR. While we have less knowledge, applicable is also their target to secure things for rental when points are used for cash type options. Both c/w my discussions with them over the years that they tend to hold back in favor of members getting first crack at reservations that are available to points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter