What am I missing on DCL ship names?

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
OK, we have the Magic Class with Magic and Wonder.
We have the Dream Class with Dream and Fantasy.
Now we have the "Triton" class with the first two ships being Wish and Treasure.

What ever happened to the time honored tradition of the name of the first ship being the name of the class?

While this is the way of doing things for the more well known lines, there are or have been exceptions :

- None of the Holland America classes are named after a ship
- RCCL grouped mismatched ships under the Vision class, the newest ship in the group
- Virgin and P&O do not classify their ships
- Aida classes have nothing to do with the ships' names
- Carnival's newest class is Excel, but the first ship is Mardi Gras

It is quite possible that DCL had planned to name the ship Triton, filled some binding paperwork under that name then saw the marketing branch win the final naming battle...

While this is the way of doing things for the more well known lines...
It is also the way of doing things in Naval ships worldwide.

Just strange to me that Disney followed the convention for their first 2 classes of ships and then deviated. Your supposition of a marketing intervention is a reasonable guess. (But I'm still surprised that they didn't then just call it the Wish class......)

OK, we have the Magic Class with Magic and Wonder.
We have the Dream Class with Dream and Fantasy.
Now we have the "Triton" class with the first two ships being Wish and Treasure.

What ever happened to the time honored tradition of the name of the first ship being the name of the class?
They do call them the “wish class ships” when they announced the Disney Treasure.
Park Blog

They do call them the “wish class ships” when they announced the Disney Treasure.
Park Blog
But that is not their official classification.

In January 2019, the class of ship was confirmed as Triton in public documents published by Port Canaveral

Class and typeTriton-class (Disney) cruise ship[4]
Tonnage144,000 GT
Length1,119 feet (341 m)
Beam128 feet (39 m)
Height221 feet (67 m)

Last edited:
Reactions: NAB
Call me crazy, but it seems anything once considered "time-honored" or "traditional" is out nowadays, replaced by something else that just leaves you scratching your head and wondering. :scratchin

But that is not their official classification.

In January 2019, the class of ship was confirmed as Triton in public documents published by Port Canaveral

Class and typeTriton-class (Disney) cruise ship[4]
Tonnage144,000 GT
Length1,119 feet (341 m)
Beam128 feet (39 m)
Height221 feet (67 m)
I get that but it seems like Disney needed a name for them without actually giving away the first ships name. I’m personally glad we haven’t received a ship named Triton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter