Well, I can finally post on the DIS. And I had some excitement yesterday.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
I can finally post on the DISboards. I thought that they were off for maintainance when I got home from work Monday. Then I couldn't get on until Tuesday night,but I couldn't go past the front page. But now all is right with the world.

I'm holding my breath for weigh-in this Saturday. It seems like I lose one week and gain the next week. I don't want to gain 4 or 5 pounds.

Tuesday morning was exciting.

I got back from being outside for several hours after walking down 19 floors. _ We had a fire. _ I didn't know about it because I was asleep with ear plugs.

When I got up to go to the restroom, I thought that I left the water on somewhere. It wasn't the sink and it wasn't the shower. _ It sounded like it was raining on the bathroom ceiling, without seeing any water.

Then I called the lobby and they said that the building is evacuated because of a fire on the 25th floor.

But I'm back, and I don't see any damage. _ Some people on the 25th floor said that there was 3 to 4 inches of water in the hallway and all their rooms. _ They had hardwood floors...oh my. _ They also heard that someone left their food cooking and left the building.

I'm letting several of the unfortunate neighbors store some of their valuables in my living room, and just a place to stay until they get things together. _ I can't imagine what all the day time workers were going to think when they came home or were called at work.

I thought that I was going to have a heart attack when I got to the road...lol. _ One of the firemen sat me down and demanded to check my heartrate and blood pressure.

I must have looked pretty bad. _ I told him that this is the way that I usually look.

But I was fine and went go back to sleep...but without the ear plugs...lol. I'm glad that I didn't have to walk up those 19 floors...lol. Well, I did get some exercise.

And I feel pretty safe if a fire breaks out. Some neighbors say that the burnt unit was minimal and contained to the burned ktchen wall. But the water damage must be terrible. The noise of water that I heard was water falling down a shaft next to my bathroom wall.

Thank goodness there is no damage.

Today I discovered macadamia nuts. A very nice treat with 1/4 cup is 3-grams of carbs., and 2-grams of fiber, and 22 grams of fat. Yesterday, I also, very reluctently, bought the low fat popsicle that had only 3-grams of fat. Of course, I must limit these two items as a quick treat.

I also was a Target this morning and bought something that I usually don't buy. They had these large yankee candle type candles on sale for $5.00. The smell is called peach/mango. I'm burning it now and it smells wonderful.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I may, or may not break my diet by eating out at a steak and salad place. Maybe a cake. Maybe an ice cream sundae. I haven't had a salad in five weeks because I'm still trying to stay low carbs. of 0 to 10.

I know...I know...I could have had a salad instead of the 3-gram popsicle or macadamia nuts.

I went to the Publix and bought some lettuce and zero-carb. dressing.

For my birthday meal, I wanted a great salad, steak, and maybe some broccolli and asparagus. No potato...sigh.

This has been on my mind a lot this week. I hope that I don't break my diet.

God bless you, best wishes, and encouragement, RaySharpton:)

Whew....Ray..see what happens in 2 days when you can't get onto the Dis boards. I am SOOO Glad everything is okay in your building and that nobody got hurt.

Happy Birthday 1 day early...but I got to say...You are being way to hard on yourself. I am not sure that staying under 20 carbs excelerates your weight loss....I think its a combo of alot of things, like your fat intake...etc. Its hard to explain.

The one thing I can say IS enjoy your birthday. You can have that salad and brocclli! It will not kill your ketosis. Now for the cake and ice cream. You have been doing sooo well without straying. My 2 cents...give yourself a birthday present and DONT have the cake or icecream. Once you eat it and its over.... than what...you are stuck with all that unwanted sugar and icky feeling in the morning.

Good Luck
Tracy

Yeah, what Tracy said.

Sounds like more excitement than I would want to have. Wow, 19 floors - think of all the calories you burned! We're really glad you're alright.

And a Very Hippo Birdies to you a day early

Karyn

sz279.gif

Ray,
With the 'cheat free star challenge' you may have one item every two weeks that you do not have to count. If you honestly know that you can have an indulgence item and then move on, I'd say to go for it. This has to be a way of eating that you can endure for life ---- and to me an occassional treat is just part of life. I can do it, and move on. I had a small sundae for my birthday earlier this month and did not have any problem getting right back on track the next day. Yes, my losses have been very slow compared to some --- but I am doing this as a lifelong healthy eating change, not a quick fix -- so I'll be here for a LONG time. It is an individual decision to make. So think about it, and make that decision ahead of time --- don't let it be an impulse [gotta have it] type decision that you may regret later. Be sure it is something that you are truly okay with before you have it.
:D

Ray, I love going to Outback and ordering salad (hold the croutons) steak and grilled vegetables. I also order a skewer of grilled shrimp with butter instead of the remoulade sauce they usally serve it with. It is so delicious. I don't miss the potato at all. I'll bet if you could find a good steakhouse and get a really delicious steak, that you wouldn't miss the potato either.

If you do succumb to temptation and eat cake and/or icecream just go right back on induction for another two weeks.

I hope you decide not to eat any sugar or flour though. Those macadamia nuts are much better for Atkins than that low fat popsicle. Stick with the nuts, they are high fat and very filling.

Good luck with your celebration tomorrow. We'll be waiting to hear all about it.

Ray, you can have a salad for very few carbs, you should keep those in your diet. You can even add avocado to the salad if you like avocado. I love avocado in a salad :)

What a blessing that the fire did not do any damage to your apartment. I'm glad you stayed safe.

Katholyn

19 floors! Hope you had some water! :) That's terrible for the folks coming home- hope they have insurance and a place to stay! :eek: You're awful sweet to let them store their stuff- and go out and celebrate your birthday!! There are sooo many good steak houses there- I remember Chops/Bones but I really like Houston's steak/salads- they give you so much! So go enjoy a salad/steak and some great veggies- and forget about the potato- if you're like me you probably have had 200 in your lifetime- so you're not missing anything you haven't already tried! :)
Happy BIRTHDAY!!

Tara

Hey Ray! Happy birthday tomorrow!

We went to Outback Steakhouse on Fathers Day & I had grilled veggies instead of the potato (did you know you can get a filet with melted bleu cheese on top?!) I always forget to have them hold the croutons - but I give them to my DH - or eat around them!

Oh my, Ray, what a day you had! :eek: And you went back to sleep after all that???? You are really one cool, calm and collected guy! I glad you are ok and there wasn't any damage to your place.

Happy Birthday! I think you should definitely treat yourself by going to a nice steakhouse and getting a delicious, juicy steak and a salad! Sounds like you can do that without going off Atkins! And after that you'll probably be so full you won't even want to think about cake & ice cream. How 'bout we all sing an extra round of Happy Birthday to make up for the cake? (ok, ok, I couldn't carry a tune if I had a bucket--but the good wishes are there just the same)

Ray, you have a lot to be proud of! 10 pounds gone and 14 (!) days cheat free! Keep up the good work!

Oh my, Ray!!! So glad you are SAFE and sound! What a night!!! Yikes! Congratulations on walking down 19 floors of stairs, that is amazing! At least you know you can do it if you have to! :) You are doing so great on Atkins! I think you should have the salad and steak and just wait a while on the cake. It might end up making you sick anyway, I remember a WISHer posting that she had some cake and it made her feel sick for a while (since she'd been sugar free for several weeks!)

Have a WONDERFUL birthday! I'm so glad you are part of WISH and that you have decided that this is the year you want to get healthy! I know you can do it! :) Keep up the great work!

Hiya Ray -

Glad you are safe and sound. Happy Birthday.

Thank you everyone.

Well, I made it through my birthday without eating cake and ice cream. I did eat more carbs. in one meal than I have since tying to eat close to zero carbs..

I ate at Houston's restaurant last night. I wanted the ribeye steak, but it had a sauce that it was cooked in, so I ordered a great beef filet. They had limited fresh vegetables to choose from. I ordered the sliced tomatos and ate only one slice which wa the size of a small tomato and 4-gms. of carbs.. The only other side was creamed spinach. I only ate about 1/2 a cup and that wa 10-gms. of carbs.. The side salad was great with the crotons removed. I had to pick out the carrots though. The bacon and ranch dressing was great. I also just drank wter and no dessert, cake or ice cream. The berries were out of season.

So I guess that I had about 15 gms. for the day and I was very full...lol. Then I went to see the movie, the Matrix. I didn't like the ending.

Ray, I haven't been able to get on the boards either-first the DIS problem, and then just the trials of the last week of school!

Anyway, a belated Happy Birthday to you! I'm so glad that you are fine after the evacuation, and that you enjoyed your birthday meal. Keep up the good work.

Blessings to you and yours!

Ray - I missed your birthday - hope it was a good one
Here's to another Happy Healthy year

Happy belated Birthday Ray! :) You did great with your meal, I hope I can do the same in a couple of weeks.

How scary about the fire! Don't sleep with those earphones again OK?

Congratulations on your succesful Birthday Dinner! You made choices that you were happy with. I bet you went to bed that night feeling very satisfied -- and THAT is what counts. I am proud of you Ray. For thinking ahead and making your choices ahead of time.

You are well on your way to success!:D

Ray - I hope you had a wonderful week. What a scare though! We had a drill here at work and practiced our evacuation - down 14 flights of stairs and my legs were sore for days! By the way - I didn't like the end of Matrix either!

Ray, I'm glad to hear that you had a nice birthday! If the Houston's where you are is anything like the Houston's in Nashville, I know you had a good meal. And congratulations on forgoing that cake & ice cream! :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter