• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Welcome To The Caribbean, Love ~ Updated 5-27 P52

All caught up thanks to the chapter links!

So glad you got some stuff packed and I hope you are able to get to the shirts today! They sound as lovely as the plans for your trip do!

You've made phenomenal strides on your packing! Rock on, Girl!

Guess what I wore yesterday?? Yup a bona fide TK tie-dye! It still looks as vibrant as the day I got it, and I still love it to death! I love that you are choosing your mom's colors; it's the little things we do to add a touch of memory towards our loved ones. Who knew a set of slippers could bring a little piece of her into our trip so beautifully! :goodvibes

Kat, way to go on the packing :thumbsup2

And I love what you are doing with the tie-dyed shirt colors for your mom. It will help you remember the fun times at Disney with your mom. :hug:

Kat, you inspired me to do some packing yesterday, but it is so overwhelming. I just want to sit down in the middle of the floor with my bottle of rum. :rotfl:

All caught up thanks to the chapter links!

So glad you got some stuff packed and I hope you are able to get to the shirts today! They sound as lovely as the plans for your trip do!

Glad you like the chapter links! Usually I link the chapters in the bottom of the posts as well, but I haven't been good about that this time around.

You've made phenomenal strides on your packing! Rock on, Girl!

Guess what I wore yesterday?? Yup a bona fide TK tie-dye! It still looks as vibrant as the day I got it, and I still love it to death! I love that you are choosing your mom's colors; it's the little things we do to add a touch of memory towards our loved ones. Who knew a set of slippers could bring a little piece of her into our trip so beautifully! :goodvibes

Bona Fide TK tie-dye! I like the sound of that!

Kat, way to go on the packing :thumbsup2

And I love what you are doing with the tie-dyed shirt colors for your mom. It will help you remember the fun times at Disney with your mom. :hug:

Thanks. I'm still thinking of other little ways we can honor her on this trip. I think I'll include that in my next post.

Kat, you inspired me to do some packing yesterday, but it is so overwhelming. I just want to sit down in the middle of the floor with my bottle of rum. :rotfl:

I'd love to join you! With the rum.

And then we could see how the packing goes. :lmao:

And it's going for the bargain rate of $40!

Let me explain. Our flight on Saturday leaves around 1230ish. Which is right around the time that I drive Nemo to school. I don't know if I mentioned this, but when we moved to our house, even though we're in the same town, we moved out of Nemo's current school district. I asked the Board of Ed for permission to drive him for the rest of the year, and it was granted. So every day, I'm doing the drop off / pick up with Nemo, and I don't mind, because it's really only two months...one more, by the time we get back from vacation!

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to orchestrate getting a decent boarding group, since we're flying on Southwest. I could have Nana print the tickets, but then I was thinking about Southwest's Early Bird Check In. It's only $10 per ticket. And it'll automatically check me in 36 hours in advance of my flight.

This morning, I bit the bullet and purchased it. I just figure, for peace of mind, it's totally worth it.

On a different topic, bless my friend who came over yesterday and thoroughly entertained the baby while I tie dyed the shirts. I was hoping to do it the previous evening, but was missing some supplies. My friend is awesome. She's been my baby holder / entertainer for so many things, she helped me pack the apartment, is still helping me unpack the house...she's just a good friend, you know? She didn't get a chance to go to Basin when she was down there in April with her family, so I'm planning on bringing her back a little thank you soap...maybe some bath bombs...just some general girliness to say, thank you for being you!

I almost feel like I should make a list of my souvie shopping or I'm not going to remember everything. One of my favorite places to shop is actually in the Contemporary. I just love how they it set up, and I did even before they added that structure in the center. Mom, Nana, and I always found what we were looking for there, sometimes even things we couldn't find in the parks, and I love that they have dressing rooms in case I want to try something on. I'm sure other stores do to, but when we shop at the Contemporary, it's usually during the day so it's not so crowded as World of Disney would be, savvy?

Anyway, that brings me back to our last ADR, which is the day before we leave, at Chef Mickey's. It's around 1100 something (you love my organization?) so I figure I can easily pop down to guest services and have our boarding passes printed. I don't think I'll do the early check in for that flight since we'll have access to guest services pretty easily.

I was thinking while I was responding to an earlier post about the ways in which we'll be honoring Mom on this trip. There are so many, and some I won't talk about, but one that I feel I can, that I should share, is the champagne toast.

Every time Mom, Nana, and I went to Disney World, we would always start the Epcot portion of our trip with a champagne toast in France. It became such a tradition that when I was pregnant with Nemo, and I was there with Mom, Dad, and MJS, my mother actually carried in, in a cooler bag, sparkling cider, so I could still partake.

You don't mess with the champagne toast. :lmao:

The toast is always something like, "to us," or "to being here together," and that's really what my mother was all about. She was all about family and friends and spending time together. She would always impress upon us the importance of that. I don't think I need to go into how right she is, and what a great impression that made on me even before her passing. Those of you who know me, or those of you who are just getting to, can probably tell that the most important thing in my life is my family and friends. To me, there's nothing more important than people.

And that, more than tie dye, or slippers, or even champagne toasts, is the best thing I'm taking to Disney with me. The gift of a mother's wisdom, and the privilege of time with my sweet family.

And it's going for the bargain rate of $40!

Let me explain. Our flight on Saturday leaves around 1230ish. Which is right around the time that I drive Nemo to school. I don't know if I mentioned this, but when we moved to our house, even though we're in the same town, we moved out of Nemo's current school district. I asked the Board of Ed for permission to drive him for the rest of the year, and it was granted. So every day, I'm doing the drop off / pick up with Nemo, and I don't mind, because it's really only two months...one more, by the time we get back from vacation!

Anyway, I was trying to figure out how to orchestrate getting a decent boarding group, since we're flying on Southwest. I could have Nana print the tickets, but then I was thinking about Southwest's Early Bird Check In. It's only $10 per ticket. And it'll automatically check me in 36 hours in advance of my flight.

This morning, I bit the bullet and purchased it. I just figure, for peace of mind, it's totally worth it.

On a different topic, bless my friend who came over yesterday and thoroughly entertained the baby while I tie dyed the shirts. I was hoping to do it the previous evening, but was missing some supplies. My friend is awesome. She's been my baby holder / entertainer for so many things, she helped me pack the apartment, is still helping me unpack the house...she's just a good friend, you know? She didn't get a chance to go to Basin when she was down there in April with her family, so I'm planning on bringing her back a little thank you soap...maybe some bath bombs...just some general girliness to say, thank you for being you!

I almost feel like I should make a list of my souvie shopping or I'm not going to remember everything. One of my favorite places to shop is actually in the Contemporary. I just love how they it set up, and I did even before they added that structure in the center. Mom, Nana, and I always found what we were looking for there, sometimes even things we couldn't find in the parks, and I love that they have dressing rooms in case I want to try something on. I'm sure other stores do to, but when we shop at the Contemporary, it's usually during the day so it's not so crowded as World of Disney would be, savvy?

Anyway, that brings me back to our last ADR, which is the day before we leave, at Chef Mickey's. It's around 1100 something (you love my organization?) so I figure I can easily pop down to guest services and have our boarding passes printed. I don't think I'll do the early check in for that flight since we'll have access to guest services pretty easily.

I was thinking while I was responding to an earlier post about the ways in which we'll be honoring Mom on this trip. There are so many, and some I won't talk about, but one that I feel I can, that I should share, is the champagne toast.

Every time Mom, Nana, and I went to Disney World, we would always start the Epcot portion of our trip with a champagne toast in France. It became such a tradition that when I was pregnant with Nemo, and I was there with Mom, Dad, and MJS, my mother actually carried in, in a cooler bag, sparkling cider, so I could still partake.

You don't mess with the champagne toast. :lmao:

The toast is always something like, "to us," or "to being here together," and that's really what my mother was all about. She was all about family and friends and spending time together. She would always impress upon us the importance of that. I don't think I need to go into how right she is, and what a great impression that made on me even before her passing. Those of you who know me, or those of you who are just getting to, can probably tell that the most important thing in my life is my family and friends. To me, there's nothing more important than people.

And that, more than tie dye, or slippers, or even champagne toasts, is the best thing I'm taking to Disney with me. The gift of a mother's wisdom, and the privilege of time with my sweet family.

Okay, Kat, I'm sitting here with watery eyes now. Your post is just beautiful and I love the idea of the champagne toast among the other things you are doing for your mom. You (and your mom) are so right...that the most important thing in life is family and friends. :hug:

Another wonderful and moving update Kat!! I'm so glad you will be able to take those memories with you and have a great trip with your family and make more wonderful updates!!!

:drinking1 Here's to the champagne toast (best smilie I could find with my limited internet skills LOL)

Okay, Kat, I'm sitting here with watery eyes now. Your post is just beautiful and I love the idea of the champagne toast among the other things you are doing for your mom. You (and your mom) are so right...that the most important thing in life is family and friends. :hug:

Aw, perhaps there should have been a kleenex alert! :hug:

Another wonderful and moving update Kat!! I'm so glad you will be able to take those memories with you and have a great trip with your family and make more wonderful updates!!!

:drinking1 Here's to the champagne toast (best smilie I could find with my limited internet skills LOL)

Thanks, Jen!

And LOL over the drinking smilie. That's going to be me.

A lot.

Heh heh.

pirate:

So count me in as being watery-eyed too! Hope none of my co-workers walk by! The DIS is a very hard thing to explain.

$40 is so worth your sanity! We've done the same thing in the past to avoid the stress.

What a great friend! So glad you got the t-shirts done and I can't wait to see them! I am sure she will love anything you bring back.

I love your toast tradition and your last sentence is so right! :hug:

So, ok, I'm a little late to the party. Or, PTR in this case. Story of my life....

But I'm living vicariously through you right now and lovin' every minute of it!!!

Oh, and I always do Early Bird now....Totally worth it.:thumbsup2

I really am so excited for you and this trip. While we were in DW we ate at Chef Mickey's and after I went shopping just because you said you had always done it. I loved it. It wasn't crowded and we did find some things we hadn't seen any where else. I too will always pay the extra for the early bird check in. IT IS SO WORTH IT

That sounds like $40 well spent to me! SW stresses me out with the boarding group thing and might put me over the edge with a baby and a kindergartner!

I'm so glad you were able to get the shirts made. I can picture you now, in Epcot, in your tie dye...drinking champagne.

:goodvibes

So count me in as being watery-eyed too! Hope none of my co-workers walk by! The DIS is a very hard thing to explain.

$40 is so worth your sanity! We've done the same thing in the past to avoid the stress.

What a great friend! So glad you got the t-shirts done and I can't wait to see them! I am sure she will love anything you bring back.

I love your toast tradition and your last sentence is so right! :hug:

The DIS is a very hard thing to explain. Sometimes I have a hard time giving the right impression to my non-DIS friends.

I can't wait to finish the shirts, I'm so excited.

So, ok, I'm a little late to the party. Or, PTR in this case. Story of my life....

But I'm living vicariously through you right now and lovin' every minute of it!!!

Oh, and I always do Early Bird now....Totally worth it.:thumbsup2

Well, at least you made it before we went on the trip! :lmao:

I really am so excited for you and this trip. While we were in DW we ate at Chef Mickey's and after I went shopping just because you said you had always done it. I loved it. It wasn't crowded and we did find some things we hadn't seen any where else. I too will always pay the extra for the early bird check in. IT IS SO WORTH IT

You know, I don't care if this makes me a dork, but I am so tickled that you did that shopping at the Contemporary because of me. Not that I want to hurt your wallet, mind you, just that I think it's so cool you took one of my suggestions, because I can tell you how many great ideas I've gotten from friends on the DIS.

One being the existence of the Lapu Lapu. ;)

That sounds like $40 well spent to me! SW stresses me out with the boarding group thing and might put me over the edge with a baby and a kindergartner!

I'm so glad you were able to get the shirts made. I can picture you now, in Epcot, in your tie dye...drinking champagne.

:goodvibes

I don't mind the boarding thing normally, but the fact that we have the two kids, and that one of them has an infant seat...well, I'm really hoping to get us all situated in a room across from each other, and doing the early check in seemed to make sense.

Actually, the last time we wore our tie dye, it was to Epcot. You just brought back a memory for me of my whole family in front of Spaceship Earth and later doing the Visa Meet and Greet. I'd forgotten that.

Well, I was about a month behind, but I'm here just in time to wish you a magical trip!! Keep an eye out for me in the parks, maybe we will have an impromptu DIS meet!!! :goodvibes I would watch for you...but I'm guessing your real face isn't a black dot. LOL ;)

(and you are waaaaay ahead of me in packing/being ready! I have SO much to do! :scared1:)

Well, I was about a month behind, but I'm here just in time to wish you a magical trip!! Keep an eye out for me in the parks, maybe we will have an impromptu DIS meet!!! :goodvibes I would watch for you...but I'm guessing your real face isn't a black dot. LOL ;)

(and you are waaaaay ahead of me in packing/being ready! I have SO much to do! :scared1:)

Count me clueless. How did I not realize you're having a solo trip at the same time as my family trip? Have we talked about this before? Oh my goodness, with all my packing and running around, I feel like I've lost my mind.

I'd love to meet up with you if you're interested, and if you're keeping your vacation chill, that's fine too. Let me know. I'm a flexible gal. I'm park hopping! :lmao:

my last post before the trip.

We are down to ONE DAY. It is crazy. I can't believe it. Tomorrow, I'll be in Disney World. Sipping a Pina Colava. Eating at Casey's. Having a Dole Whip. In close proximity to Jack Sparrow.

Does it get any better? Does it?

Oh wait, I get to share this all with my lovely family and see Squirt's reaction to Disney for the first time? :cloud9: I feel great, and a little stressed. I've got all the last minute packing to do, and I'm trying to be organized.

My three page list...yes, you read that right, three pages...has so many cross marks in it that I know I'm making progress.

I'll admit that last night, I had a moment. I've had a couple, the first being when I found my park bag. I knew which box it was going to be in, relatively speaking, but when I took out my beloved Vera Blue Rhapsody Hipster, I was overcome with a wave of emotion.

I remembered buying it with Mom. I remembered wearing it on our last trip. It just hit me.

And last night, when I pulled the tie dye out of the washing machine for the first time, and saw what it would really look like, I pulled my shirt first...just happenstance...and it looked exactly like hers.

DSCI0006-2.jpg

DSCI0005.jpg

And it hit me. No matter how well I'm doing, no matter how excited I am, she's really gone. And she may be coming, but she's coming in spirit. And wearing the tie dye will be joyous, but it'll also be hard...and that may be a theme for this trip. Joyous, and hard.

And I think that's life, and it's okay.

So, in theory, signing off before the trip, I just want to say thank you.

Thank you to everyone who read this pre trip report that was unlike any pre trip report I've ever written. Thank you for all the support you've given me, all the love you've offered, all the kind words, the PMs, for being who you are. I am lucky, as I have said before and will say again, that the DIS has brought so many wonderful people into my life. This is a wonderful community, and I don't want to think about where I'd be without it.

So here's to you! Here's to me and my family! To Mom!

To Pina Colavas and Dole Whips and Jack Sparrow!

Not necessarily in that order or all at the same time, but oh, all at the same time...

I should keep this PG.

Here's to vacations and family and Disney!

Here's to life!

Let's go live it...

yo ho, yo ho...

a pirate's life for me...

pirate:

I was thinking while I was responding to an earlier post about the ways in which we'll be honoring Mom on this trip.

Totally with you on this one. Being in Disney World with my family is my personal heaven on earth. That's why I scrimp and save and 'sacrifice' for us to be able to take our trips. My real heaven is going to be that, too - the rides will always be walk-ons, the food will be calorie-less (and free ;)), the parks will never close, and there will never be a day you open the door to find that sad goodbye envelope hanging there. :) Your Mom will be up there laughing and smiling right along with you. I told my kids I will be, when my time comes. Every time they are about to descend the big drop on Splash Mountain, they'll be able to picture me burying my head to keep from getting my hair soaked! :laughing:

Luv ya, hon.....:hug: I hope it's a fantastic -- and NOMTASTIC! -- trip. Think of me at Casey's, 'k? ;)

:wizard: Here's to an amazing trip! May it bring you much joy, even in the hard times!!!!

I have greatly enjoyed reading this PTR and given the chance to walk this journey with you!! You are an incredible woman and I admire you for so many different reasons!!

Now its time for the pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: to descend on the World!! Pilage, Plunder, and Loot to your hearts' content!!

Have a great one!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter