Welcome Home to Riviera! New owner — No regrets

Puuvzyz

Earning My Ears
I’ve read all of the threads. I’ve listened to all of the shows. I’ve seen all of the concerns. Even still, I bought into Riviera. First time owner and I feel good about the decision. I know on this board there are people who wonder why would anyone buy Riviera?? Here were my reasons (in no particular order)

1) 50 years of value - I’m buying in at the lowest direct price it will ever be and will have the full 50 years of value (either for my family now or for my grandkids down the line)

2) I rode the skyliner and I loved it. The convenience to Epcot, the ease of access to DHS really sold me here. I think it is an experience to ride and I will be using it. (This is coming from someone who swears by driving everywhere and parking preferred)

3) It’s not on the MK loop. What’s that you say? I said it. We prefer Epcot and DHS. My son is 4 and MK is already his least favorite park. Plus I can always just drive to contemporary and park.

4) The model room. My wife loved it, I love it. Nearly everyone who tours it loves it.

5) Proximity to Caribbean Beach. We didn’t buy enough (yet) to host the whole extended family. Already for our first trip they are looking at Caribbean beach for their stay while we are at the Riviera. Easy enough!

6) I think in 20 years this will be worth a LOT more than you think. The landscape as it is now with so many resorts as part of resale will change as original properties roll off. Disney isn’t going to stop doing ROFR so there is a price floor. And I believe that the resort is going to deliver. People are going to actually want to stay here. And that, my friends, above all else is what drives the resale price. Slap the same restrictions on VGF and it’ll still hold a lot of value because of the simple reason that people want to stay there above many other resorts.

7) I wanted to be a full member. I wanted the membership card. Sure the perks can change but being out of state, right now if I renew my AP and convert to gold it will save me ~$1500/family over renewing normally. Even if this goes away, just knowing I have this for likely a few years is worth it. Other perks that seem a bit more permanent like access to TOTWL were also a factor. Most of all though is that I will want access to future resorts that we haven’t even dreamed of yet. I’m in this for the future 50 years of magic.

How many points did I buy you may ask? 155 pts
In a few years maybe we will consider the add on itis

Bought on Monday. First trip is booked for Memorial Day week in a Preferred Studio (5 nights). Also waitlisting on a prayer for MLK weekend, but probably just going to save those points for the Fall or bank them for 2021.

And in 15 years when all you naysayers are looking for Riviera, I’ll wave to you as I soar over in the skyliner ;)

Congrats. Many of the downsides that others have pointed out you seem to view as positive/neutral. Good for you. There’s a DVC resort for every preference and clearly RIV is your preference. I personally couldn’t justify that point cost for a DVC stationed on a moderate resort location but that was just my opinion. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your DVC contract.

Congrats on your purchase. Me, I don't like BRV, stayed there once and hate the room décor. That's the one nice thing about WDW, lots of different resorts for different tastes.

I think the new restrictions are going to result in a significant increase in point transfers between restricted members. If Disney stops transfers or renting of points, then things might get hairy, otherwise the restrictions are largely going to be an inconvenience. I expect Riv resale to be hit negatively early on when many L14 resorts have a good number of years left on them. Post 2042, who knows. It's all a guessing game, so if you have the money, like the resort, don't care how the resale market plays out, just make a decision and enjoy the memories along the way.

Congrats!

Congrats! You have plenty of years of enjoying your purchase. Did you think about asking for help to get the MLK trip booked as your welcome home reservation?

Since you were able to get the May trip easily since it’s still available, maybe contact your guide and see if he/she can work some magic to get you what you want!

Welcome Home. If RIV resale drops to value like some of the other DVC resorts, even already Blue card owners would have to take a hard look at adding on and having the 11month booking window here. I'm sure the Transfer/Rental market will be there given that post Jan 2019 DVC owners maybe interested in trying out RIV and request Transfer of RIV points.

Congrats! You have plenty of years of enjoying your purchase. Did you think about asking for help to get the MLK trip booked as your welcome home reservation?

Since you were able to get the May trip easily since it’s still available, maybe contact your guide and see if he/she can work some magic to get you what you want!

I am considering making January my Welcome Home! reservation, but not sure how successful that is for high demand studios. We went to WDW A LOT this year, so I may just wait until May to prevent the Disney fatigue from setting in before we even start our DVC journey.

I am considering making January my Welcome Home! reservation, but not sure how successful that is for high demand studios. We went to WDW A LOT this year, so I may just wait until May to prevent the Disney fatigue from setting in before we even start our DVC journey.

They can take a room from their own inventory to make it happen so you may have more luck than you think, if staying at RIV. The other resorts would be harder since those rooms may be indeed booked.

I just booked my Welcome Home trip in February. There was limited or no availability listed for the nights I wanted and they were able to find the room for me. Granted, it was a 1BD but I'm sure they have some studios held for members.

5) Proximity to Caribbean Beach. We didn’t buy enough (yet) to host the whole extended family. Already for our first trip they are looking at Caribbean beach for their stay while we are at the Riviera. Easy enough!
This is actually something I had NOT considered, that makes a lot of sense!

Thanks! Do you have your first trip to our home resort planned yet? Can't wait to start reading the trip reports!
Not that you were asking me, but I have New Year's 2019-2020 booked - 3 nights. Can't wait! Then, another stay in late August, which we may or may not try switching at 7 months depending on how we like the resort (we are bringing another family and have been considering BCV or AKV as well)

1) 50 years of value - I’m buying in at the lowest direct price it will ever be and will have the full 50 years of value (either for my family now or for my grandkids down the line)

I bought Riviera too (guaranteed week), but I do want to note that the above is not necessarily true. You (likely) bought at the lowest $/point, however, if you look at recent with CCV, the lowest total (direct) buy in came >12 months after the resort opened. The developer incentives got better with time. That could easily happen with Riviera, but no guarantees...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!