• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wedding Reception Late Night Snack

35 years ago, I got married in Vegas but we did have a small ( about100) reception a week after we got home. Just me, but I think receptions are insanely ridiculous alot of the times. The kind of reception I'd like to be invited to is like this: marriage ceremony and reception same venue. Ceremony at noon, followed by light snacks and beer/ wine. Have a sit down luncheon with live music playing and offer complementary champagne for toasting after a few very short obligatory speeches, cut the cake and have it served. Send the couple off in a limo and "oh my" it's time to go home!

In the South we call that a Baptist wedding (minus the champagne, of course ;)) Seriously, no offense meant to Baptists, who are entitled to be as low-key as they wish to be, but most people I know (and granted, I'm Irish Catholic by way of Louisiana) dislike going to that type of wedding, because they feel like they got all dressed up, perhaps buying new clothing, drove to wherever, sat through a ceremony, only to be denied a real party.

Wedding receptions in my circle are all about dancing for hours (no matter how old you are), laughing until you cry, and eating lots of yummy things you wouldn't normally have (while pacing yourself so as to enjoy every single item on offer.)

I got married at the most popular time where I grew up: 7:30 pm on a Friday. It's considered optimal because you can party as long as you like and sleep late on Saturday.

Last wedding I went to was my son's in 2016. I believe the late night snack was included in the package with the venue. They served sliders, including vegetarian ones. Never gave it much thought. I wouldn't expect a late night snack, nor would I be surprised if one was served. But, as I said before, Uncrustables would be a no for me.

Was this during or after the pandemic started? Maybe the venue included this as they knew a lot of places shut down early due to the pandemic. Even Walmart hasn't reopened to 24-hours and has no plans to, and it's 3 years later.

So, people leaving the venue back then might not have been able to go to IHOP or burger place to get a late night snack. And the venue cashed in on that.
Actually, the contract was signed in 2019 with an April 2020 date. The wedding was postponed until November 2020, never thinking we’d still be dealing with the pandemic. The wedding was able to rescheduled with all of the original contract as was to be in April. The invite list did need to be pared down due to the pandemic.

They had the cocktail hour, plated meal, wedding cake with dessert bar and the late night snack. As favors they gave out chocolate chip cookies.

When DD got married the venue had a rule against bringing in your own food; it had to be provided by a licensed vendor of some sort. Instead of favors, Auntie Anne's delivered hot pretzels, set up on a "tree" (like a mug tree?) under hot lights, and provided tongs and bags. Guests took a pretzel with them when they left. The sign on the table said "Thanks for helping us tie the knot!" DD was married in a somewhat rural location where there weren't many fast-food type venues open after 8 or 9pm. I think people enjoyed the snack for the road!

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'll share that DD had a similar wedding itinerary as the OP and did have sliders and little milkshakes late night. The guests mowed through them. I was really surprised by that -- thought it would go to waste.
(A lot of the "kids" still did even more post-partying elsewhere after that.)

Lots of posters have offered good ideas of things to serve. I just wanted to share that guests really can gobble things up.

I’ve been to a few weddings that served a late night snack towards the end of the reception. One bride had a deli/sandwich making display. Another served individually boxed pizza slices. Another had a nacho bar. Some folks in our area hire an ice cream truck or a donut truck for the late night snack (though I’ve not personally been to a wedding that had this). I’ve also been to several recent weddings that didn’t serve a late night snack at all.

I’m helping a family member with wedding planning. We are kicking around cost effective ideas for a late night snack. After doing a bunch of research and costing out several options, we’re thinking of serving Uncrustables, which are around .90 cents a piece - very budget friendly.

And apparently PB & J is one of the best post-booze-binge snacks.

So would you eat an Uncrustable as a wedding late night snack?
Probaby not, but I rarely stay that late at a wedding.

The only wedding I ever went to that served a snack at the end of the night had churros, pretzels and popcorn,

Midnight munchies at weddings are definitely the thing around here. All the things listed above I have seen in various presentations. My favorite was the gourmet grilled cheese truck one of the weddings had. That hits the spot after a night of dancing and drinking.

Midnight munchies at weddings are definitely the thing around here. All the things listed above I have seen in various presentations. My favorite was the gourmet grilled cheese truck one of the weddings had. That hits the spot after a night of dancing and drinking.
Triggered a memory of a wedding one of my kids went to they brought in a Waffle House Food Truck towards the end of the night - WAFFLES are great late night food. 🧇 We actually went to a wedding that was an hour away with a fairly minimal BBQ dinner and no other food items ... so on the way home we went to Waffle House. Family with us had never been and got a kick out of it as our post wedding food.

Everybody (without a nut allergy) loves a good pb & j after a good night on the town. Uncrustables are NOT good pb & j.

To be honest, I bet you could spent an hour making pb & j sandwiches for less money and way better quality and nobody would bat an eye.

Uncrustables are tacky and gross.

When DD got married the venue had a rule against bringing in your own food; it had to be provided by a licensed vendor of some sort. Instead of favors, Auntie Anne's delivered hot pretzels, set up on a "tree" (like a mug tree?) under hot lights, and provided tongs and bags. Guests took a pretzel with them when they left. The sign on the table said "Thanks for helping us tie the knot!" DD was married in a somewhat rural location where there weren't many fast-food type venues open after 8 or 9pm. I think people enjoyed the snack for the road!
I LOVE THIS!!!

Omg I love the tots! Sriracha Mayo or mozzarella and gravy, holdup s much better than fried.
I also like the tater tot idea. Tots couldn’t be that expensive, right? Filing this one away for later!

I looked at a grilled cheese truck, but they’re charging $7 - $10 per sandwich, which is definitely not in the budget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter