Weather in late May vs. July

bbak30

DIS Veteran
Contemplating a trip next year. Last week in May or sometime in July. Is it that much hotter in July than late May? How about crowds? Any tips on one over the other?
Thanks!

May nice and hot. But no humidity. July. Hot with humidity. I think May is best time to go. Great weather. Low crowds. That’s the only time we go. Early May.
I don’t consider the heat an issue. It’s hot yeah. But there is water everywhere. May is just so perfect though

Last edited:
Yes July is significantly hotter.
Actually there have been a few times I can recall that in late May it was actually on the chilly side with all day rain but tha'ts not usually the case.
Nice thing about July is that you know what you're getting.
Hot, humid, and usually an afternoon quick passing but STRONG thunderstorm.
Also if you're considering late May be aware of when Memorial Day weekend is "the unofficial kick off to summer" when many schools are out for summer and many others that still go to school until late June get a long weekend.
And in the last couple of years crowds have really shifted from July to October so July tends to be a little bit of a slower time now than it used to be.

Overall I'd recommend July instead of May.

We like May a lot, but the earlier the better IMHO. But the parks will probably have shorter hours than in July. I agree that avoiding the Memorial Day holiday weekend is key because it does get pretty crazy - been there done that. :rolleyes:

July is definitely hotter than May...plus in July you are more likely to get the mid-afternoon rain which will raise the humidity level quite a bit. Plus I believe crowds are a little bit lower in May...or at least they used to be.

We are trying the end of May this year. We will be arriving on Memorial day, so I'm hoping we will miss the worst of the crowds. We've done earlier in May and have had mixed results with the weather. One year it was fantastic. Last year was the rainiest that I've ever experienced.

Regardless of when we go, we always look at the weather forecast starting at about 2 weeks out from the trip and keep watching it until we leave. We start planning what we will take on the trip and adjust as needed based on what the weather forecast is saying as we get closer to departure date.

Happy planning!!

We have booked to go May 11th next year for 2 weeks. :) :) :) Very concerned about the weather though. We are from Ireland and we get enough rain here to last a lifetime. Would it rain alot in May. As in would it be all day rain or showers. Would be devastated to go all the way and then for it to rain the whole time.

I wouldn't go by past history of weather. We tried this and it was completely wrong for our late April and first week of May trip. Was supposed to be low 80s with no humidity and it was in the high 80 and sometimes 90s most days with humidity.

July isn't fun (been then before, but May was quite similar this year, sorry to say).

We have went many times on Memorial Day weekend and in July. While July is definitely hotter and more humid, I would not change plans just based on the weather. The end of May is plenty hot and humid, just not quite as bad as July. A heat index difference of 95 vs. 105. You still don't need to pack winter clothes in May.

We went the week of Memorial Day last year and 3 days in the middle of July. In terms of crowd sizes I think it was a tossup. July is becoming the new October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter