Wearing glasses on Tron

Pony Express?

I don’t wear my glasses loose at all - the world is all blurry to me without them, so I wear them very securely. Wow, RNRC sounds brutal- a ride where you get pounded ? Ouch !

Pony Express is a "horse" roller coaster at Knott's Berry Farms in Southern California. It is very much like Tron. Each vehicle is a horse that you ride on top of. RNRC isn't bad for most people. I am short so the shoulder harness surrounds my head. Plus, I think I tense up on it, since I don't like it that much.

I'm guessing that the position of the body on the ride vehicle makes it easier to look down and change the air flow over the face and makes it easier for glasses to fly off and hit another person behind you? There's a reason why they ask you to empty pockets, etc.
I definitely think this is the concern. When I have ridden Pony Express or Hagrids, both bike type coasters, you can really feel the wind whipping your head around and coming from all directions. Your face is taking the brunt of the wind. I haven't had an issue with my glasses on Hagrids, but it may not be terribly fast.

I can report that in decades of theme park attendance, no one has ever asked me to remove vision-required eyeglasses for anything. I have gone on GotG, EE, BTMRR, RnRC, SM, SDD, the Incredicoaster, RSR, Hagrid, FJ, Gringotts and others. (Sorry for any errors; my acronym talent isn't much better than my eyesight.) My only precaution is to do a quick adjustment of frames to the face just before the harness/belts/whatever is secured to me in the seat. But I can also see how the theme park 'arms race' easily could upset expectations going forward, so looks like yeah, I'm going to have an eyeglass frame strap with me next month.

It’s the first ride Disney felt the need to install lockers for your loose articles, and doesn’t allow bags on, so I imagine it is more likely that you would need a strap on it than those rides.
There’s no danger of losing items on Flight of Passage, but they have you put everything in the shelving behind you … so maybe it’s more about the seat than the ride.

I can report that in decades of theme park attendance, no one has ever asked me to remove vision-required eyeglasses for anything. I have gone on GotG, EE, BTMRR, RnRC, SM, SDD, the Incredicoaster, RSR, Hagrid, FJ, Gringotts and others. (Sorry for any errors; my acronym talent isn't much better than my eyesight.) My only precaution is to do a quick adjustment of frames to the face just before the harness/belts/whatever is secured to me in the seat. But I can also see how the theme park 'arms race' easily could upset expectations going forward, so looks like yeah, I'm going to have an eyeglass frame strap with me next month.
While I have not ridden every ride in the world, it generally seems that vision related glasses can be worn on nearly every rollercoaster I've ever encountered. Straps can never hurt however. I can imagine there might be some coasters that are just so intense or due to dangers to other passengers if they were to fall they would require those to be off as well - but those seem to be very few (and I don't think any at Disney or Universal) - and I'd be surprised based on the nature of Tron whether that would be one of them. [EDIT: I also think nearly all coasters will ask or request you to remove your glasses which makes sense - why not encourage any unnecessary eyewear to come off - but I'm talking about whether it's a requirement].

Last edited:
When I ride these types of attractions I wear a backup pair of glasses with my old prescription and with a strap. The glasses are only slightly worse than my current ones so I can still see well enough, and I don't risk losing my main ones.

That's a good idea.

I haven't lost my glasses yet but I do get nervous I will. I went on Velocicoaster twice last year - once with glasses and once with contacts, and I was MUCH less nervous wearing my contacts. I try to remember them whenever we're doing "bigger" rides. I wore my glasses on GOTG and they stayed on but I was worried.

If daily contacts are at all an option, it always makes me feel better to wear them on the big rides even though I wear glasses in daily life otherwise.

While I have not ridden every ride in the world, it generally seems that vision related glasses can be worn on nearly every rollercoaster I've ever encountered. Straps can never hurt however. I can imagine there might be some coasters that are just so intense or due to dangers to other passengers if they were to fall they would require those to be off as well - but those seem to be very few (and I don't think any at Disney or Universal) - and I'd be surprised based on the nature of Tron whether that would be one of them. [EDIT: I also think nearly all coasters will ask or request you to remove your glasses which makes sense - why not encourage any unnecessary eyewear to come off - but I'm talking about whether it's a requirement].

I agree with this. My teens have worn glasses for years. One is practically blind without them. They have worn them on all kinds of coasters and it's never even been close to being an issue. They are tight against their faces and have never fallen off. They wear them on Space and Thunder Mountain at DL and Incredicoaster at DCA with absolute no fear of them falling off. We don't even own glasses straps.

They did not have to remove them on Pony Express. I was asked to remove my sunglasses, and my husband had to hold onto his hat on that ride, but my kids kept their glasses on and no one said anything.

Tron isn't even particularly fast. There are no inversions. It looks very similar to Slinky Dog Dash.

I just read this article right after reading this thread. It’s the one for the lockers but I find it interesting that he wears glasses. FWIW I have never taken my glasses off on any amusement park ride (and I love my thrill rides!) and never any problem. Then again mine are snug and I am legally blind without them. Sometimes, I carry a back up pair in my bag, but rarely honestly. Water slides I have had to give up once I could no longer wear contacts because even if it was safe to wear them I couldn’t see anyway due to the water on them!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...know-before-tron-lightcycle-run-opens-on-4-4/

My kids have prescription goggles they wear at waterparks. Otherwise my oldest wouldn't be able to do them either.

I'm guessing that the position of the body on the ride vehicle makes it easier to look down and change the air flow over the face and makes it easier for glasses to fly off and hit another person behind you? There's a reason why they ask you to empty pockets, etc.

I think it's more that the coaster track is directly over guest areas and they don't want ANYTHING falling off those trains.

I agree with this. My teens have worn glasses for years. One is practically blind without them. They have worn them on all kinds of coasters and it's never even been close to being an issue. They are tight against their faces and have never fallen off. They wear them on Space and Thunder Mountain at DL and Incredicoaster at DCA with absolute no fear of them falling off. We don't even own glasses straps.

They did not have to remove them on Pony Express. I was asked to remove my sunglasses, and my husband had to hold onto his hat on that ride, but my kids kept their glasses on and no one said anything.

Tron isn't even particularly fast. There are no inversions. It looks very similar to Slinky Dog Dash.
Tron will be the fastest coaster at Disney exceeding RnR speeds so it is pretty fast. No - it's not like those 120mph coasters at some of the premier thrill parks, but there is some pretty good speed there.

Tron will be the fastest coaster at Disney exceeding RnR speeds so it is pretty fast. No - it's not like those 120mph coasters at some of the premier thrill parks, but there is some pretty good speed there.
Guardians goes up to 60mph, Test Track 64/65 ish mph RnRC about 57mph. I rode Hagrid's which is about 50mph and I can say it felt faster at points even though Test Track is going faster but the dips and all with Hagrid's would make for different conditions.

From my friends that went last night they said it didn't feel super fast even though it's on par with Guardians but they said potentially it being so smooth may have been why. With Test Track you have the wind whipping your face but with Tron you'll have incline/decline.

Speed may not be the be it all here and at least from what my friends were saying it just didn't feel to them at least all that fast.

Really? It looks so slow. What is the top speed?

Really? It looks so slow. What is the top speed?
60 (for comparison RnR goes from 0-57 at launch. The smoothness of the ride and the fact that it's not drops, sharp turns, inversions, etc. will make it feel slower than it is (much like how the darkness and design of Space Mountain makes it feel a lot faster than it is).

I was actually suprised to read above that GotG hits 60 as that didn't feel that fast to me either due to the smoothness. I also think GotG hits that at launch but most of the ride is a bit slower. Haven't ridden Tron yet so don't know how long the speed is maintained or if it's multiple launch to maintain the acceleration.

60 (for comparison RnR goes from 0-57 at launch. The smoothness of the ride and the fact that it's not drops, sharp turns, inversions, etc. will make it feel slower than it is (much like how the darkness and design of Space Mountain makes it feel a lot faster than it is).

I was actually suprised to read above that GotG hits 60 as that didn't feel that fast to me either due to the smoothness. I also think GotG hits that at launch but most of the ride is a bit slower. Haven't ridden Tron yet so don't know how long the speed is maintained or if it's multiple launch to maintain the acceleration.

Okay, well 60 is pretty slow for a coaster these days. If it went like 90 or more, I'd understand the fear of glasses flying off.

Watched a video from Deni (former DIS Unplugged) and both she and her husband wore glasses. See comments on her video but she says she did nothing extra/special with hers and her husband had some rubber grippers that go on the ear pieces and neither had any issues (rode twice). But glasses could easily fit in in-ride compartment if needed/desired.

Jeez, come on! Do you people really think that you would not be allowed to wear glasses on Tron or any other ride for that matter? Just a ridiculous thread. FYI- sources say more than 50% of the population wears glasses. And can I add that Florida is the Sunshine State. Sunshine? Sunshine requires sun glasses so now we're talking about 95% of the people that intend to ride.

Jeez, come on! Do you people really think that you would not be allowed to wear glasses on Tron or any other ride for that matter? Just a ridiculous thread. FYI- sources say more than 50% of the population wears glasses. And can I add that Florida is the Sunshine State. Sunshine? Sunshine requires sun glasses so now we're talking about 95% of the people that intend to ride.

The ride is under cover. You don't need sunglasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter