We just got an Aldi's in town. What is good and what isn't?

we bought a few things there.
cornbread stuffing - wasn't bad bad, but it was very cumbly and didn't have a good texture to it
chocolate - Kari got a piece of it and loved it.
gummies - they sell haribo for cheaper than most places we see it at. Kari got a bag of gummi colas. (btw, haribo is the brand they sell at germany in epcot)
cheese - i bought a block of kraft cheese... but on the way home we stopped for a bit too long for something to eat and it went bad.

I like shopping at Publix here. It's close and very clean, and brand new so it's really big. I can't stand shopping at Wal-mart, and some other discounted places. They just don't seem clean enough... and i don't like buying fresh produce and meats from those places. I just wait for a good sale at publix to buy what i want.

For anyone unfamiliar with Aldi, you have to realize that's it's definitely not like a normal grocery store. For one, they sell probably 90% generic products, and just a few name brand items. Supposedly, these generics are made by the big name manufacturer's, and just packaged differently for Aldi.

Even though it's a discount store, you'd be surprised at the "type" of people you see shopping there. In the parking lot, there are always a few Mercedes, BMW's, Jaguar's, etc. A couple of weeks ago, I ran into my accountant there. Today, I saw a local doctor shopping there. On the flip side, I also see people there using the plastic food stamp card. When it comes to cheap groceries, it seems like all walks of society are represented. :thumbsup2

I only started shopping at Aldi about a month ago. I just went there earlier today actually :). I've listed some prices from my receipt, but I find that they tend to jump around a little...especially for the produce. Here are some of the things we like:

2 packs of red and yellow bell peppers....$1.49 or $1.69, depending (price seems to go up and down)
2 packs of green peppers....99 cents or $1.19, depending
3 packs of cucumbers....99 cents
3 packs of zucchini....$1.49
8 oz fresh mushrooms....89, 99 or $1.29, depending
celery...99 cents
strawberries...were only $1.29 today, however I've also paid $1.49 and $1.99 in the last month....price keeps changing.
6 pack kiwi fruit....99 cents
bags of apples, grapefruits, oranges
bags of iceberg salad mix...99 cents ("fancy" lettuces are more)
broccoli crowns...$1.29
10 lbs of Russet potatoes...$2.99
baby carrots...$1.29
cantaloupe...99 cents
honeydew melon...$1.49
seedless watermelon...$3.99
huge head of cauliflower...$1.99

Really, most of their produce I like...some days it's spotty, so you have to look over everything. In general, it's good though, probably because it moves so quickly. It's very cheap and I can find most of the fruits/veggies I need. The cheap prices on the produce is the main reason I go there.

Fit & Active yogurt...37 or 39 cents, price keeps changing
32 oz tub plain yogurt...$1.59
turkey bacon...$1.99
large eggs...79 or 99 cents, depending
milk
12 grain bread...$1.69
bagels...$1.39
sardines...79 or 89 cents, depending
cottage cheese...big tub for $1.99
their version of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
sugar free popsicles...$1.99 for a huge box
dozen of donuts...$1.29
Fit & Active whipped topping (Cool Whip)...85 cents
3 lb bags frozen chicken breasts...$5.49 a bag, and none of that icky skin/fat still attached!
Lacura face cream with the green lid....$4.99
Lacura 3 pack lip balm (honey and something in it)
Lacura foundation...$3.99 (stays on all day!)
saltine crackers...79 cents
fake Chex Mix
cereal...someone told me it's made by General Mills (frosted shredded wheat is excellent)
baby dill pickles
chocolate bars (made in Germany)
1 lb potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw...$1.25
canned mushrooms
2 lb bag of breaded boneless chicken breast...$4.99 (haven't tried these yet, but they look awfully good...and easy to cook!)
Fit & Active 2% American cheese...$1.69
roasted red pepper hummus...$1.69
salsa...$1.49
cream cheese...79 or 99 cents, depending
boxes of Fit & Active chicken broth...$1.29
canned tuna...62 cents
lunchbox pies...39 cents
tomato paste...39 cents

I'm probably forgetting some stuff. I haven't tried most of their canned/boxed stuff yet, since I've only been shopping there a month or so. (I have a huge stockpile of that stuff in my basement already.)

I don't really buy their meat, with the exception of the bags of frozen chicken breast. I have a large freezer and a Food Saver, so I tend to buy meat when it's on sale for cheap. If I were comparing Aldi meat prices with "normal" grocery store prices, I'd say they were competitive. However, if I compare the meat prices with what I pay during sales elsewhere, and at Sam's Club, I think it's high.

I used to hate Aldi's but I started to go there off and on about a year ago because so many DISers loved it.

I buy:
orange juice
[toaster waffles
toaster pancakes
some produce if it looks good
some brand name frozen foods (like Lean Cuisine or Rice Crispy Treats)
bread
frozen garlic bread
jam

I wouldn't touch the meat with a 10-foot pole. I also tried but hated their yogurt and soy milk.

Robin....have you had the soymilk lately. My youngest DD has only drank vanilla soy milk her entire life and doesn't think it tastes any different and trust me...she would tell me.:rolleyes1 It may be that the vanilla kind is better. Actually it is organic also.

I love their ranch dressing and my father in law swears the Millville frosted mini wheats are way better than kellogs.

I shop at Aldi's once a week.

I have to say, I used to be a bit wary of the meats there.

Last week, they had sirloin steaks individually vacuum sealed in the refrigerated case, about 1/2 pound apiece for around $2. I picked up 2 of them because that's the best price I've seen...

I cooked them last night (they had a June 23rd expiration) and WOW they were really good! Tender, no gristle or fat, just very very good steaks! I've bought meat at our local market and also at WalMart and can I just say, these are the best steaks we've had!!

I'm going to get more tonight! Now that I know the meats are okay, I will probably do ALL of my grocery shopping there and spend around $30-$35 for DH and myself! :woohoo:

Thanks for all the replies.

I will definitly go again. I would love to cut back on that food bill!

I went to Aldi's yesterday and I can now scratch "half and half" from my list of things I will buy there. I put some in my coffee today and it had an overpowering fake "greasy" taste to it. Like liquid coffee whitener. I just went to my fridge to check out the container thinking maybe I got coffee whitener my mistake or maybe it was going to expire soon. Neither. I bought half and half and the sell by date is ... are you ready for this ... November 15th :scared1:. A sell-by date for FRESH DAIRY over 5 months in the future?!?! that's just not right. I'll go back to buying dairy that is actually fresh and not processed within an inch of it's life. It's really not worth the $1 savings for me.

mom2x: We usually buy Silk unsweetened soy milk and I think it has a distinctive taste. I'll try their soy milk again, but I am a little gun shy after my half and half episode.

The only thing I have ever had a problem with is the dry cat food lol.. my cats would not touch it.

I am usually there a few times a week and have no other complaints.

I've gotten their canned food. Never got the dried food. They tear into the canned food like crazy.

And you can get any empty or near empty boxes that's in the store to put your stuff in if you forget bags.

Scary story - I was just at my Aldi last week and when I went to pick up a bag of tator tots from the freezer, a few fell out of the bottom. When I looked under it had looked like mice chewed through it. I unfortunately had mice in my house once so I know what it looks like when a mouse has chewed through a bag or box. Now I question where they get their get their groceries and how they ship it in the name of saving money. How could a frozen item been in warm place long enough for mice to get to it? And what is food doing anywhere where mice could be?! Yuck!! That has really turned me off from going there again, and I really loved their prices.

Scary story - I was just at my Aldi last week and when I went to pick up a bag of tator tots from the freezer, a few fell out of the bottom. When I looked under it had looked like mice chewed through it. I unfortunately had mice in my house once so I know what it looks like when a mouse has chewed through a bag or box. Now I question where they get their get their groceries and how they ship it in the name of saving money. How could a frozen item been in warm place long enough for mice to get to it? And what is food doing anywhere where mice could be?! Yuck!! That has really turned me off from going there again, and I really loved their prices.
---------------------------

Don't be turned off by that one incident.. My late DH worked for a very large, well known supermarket chain for 38 years - as well as my aunt who worked 40 years for the other large well known supermarket in our area - and they had similar incidents and worse (I won't elaborate because I don't what to scare you about the endless possibilities when it comes to your food supply - LOL).. If it makes you that uncomfortable, carefully examine the packaging on any items you're interested in - no matter where you shop.. ;)

We use to go all the time then stopped for several years. Now I am back going again. We only stopped because the Walmart opened and it was closer, better stocked with cashiers and either the same in cost or just a few cents more.

I love their $4.99 wine. Not the winking owl wine. The other is better for just a few dollars more.

I also go to buy milk, some cheeses, potato chips, Frozen salmon, hotdogs, bread, snack foods, fresh produce is very nice. My kids like the popcorn chicken and the bagel bites.

Their meats look good but haven't tried them yet. I normally buy what is on sale at the grocery stores and plan my meals around that.

The cheese brauts are good. Not as chessy as some but I like that better.
bolding is mine...
I haven't read this entire thread, but I tried some of the 'fresh' (not frozen) ground beef and did NOT like it at all. It lacked taste completely. It didn't taste 'spoiled' but it didn't taste right either. I'll stick to BJ's or the other grocery store for my gr beef.
I really like their bacon bits. I also get croutons, cream of chicken soup (for casseroles), diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, gravy mix (use it in the crock pot w/ the roast), and the cherry pie filling for one of my desserts. Here at our Aldi's which still is not close (about 10 miles away), the prices have slowly been creeping up to a point that some things are not such great prices anymore. :confused3 I only go about every 6 to 8 weeks as what I buy can last me quite awhile. best of luck w/ your trip to Aldi's. :goodvibes

So ... I bought a same sized container of FRESH half and half today from my local grocery store and to add insult to injury it was 20 cents cheaper than the Aldi's brand! :rotfl: The OJ they had there was also 40 cents cheaper than the stuff I bought from Aldi's. Maybe I should re-think this whole Aldi's shopping after all :confused3. In Aldi's favor, the items I bought that were in their ad (straberries, cantelope, waffles) were all cheaper at Aldi's. Maybe I should just shop the ad and do the rest of my shopping at Woodman's.

The only things I won't buy there again are canned pumpkin, whipped topping, and onions.

I buy tons of stuff there--here are some of my faves (either because the item is a really good deal, is just a great product, or both)

-Frozen pizzas (the ones around 2 bucks)
-Chorizo (mexican sausage that is great to crumble into eggs or refried beans)
-Vanilla extract
-Chips
-Chocolate--it's from Germany and really good!
-Frozen italian sausages
-Frozen chicken breasts
-Orange jello and mandarin oranges--yum
-Frozen turkey meatballs
-Cereal and oatmeal
-big black garbage bags

I posted earlier on this thread, but I just discovered another item that we really, really like.

Kirkwood Southern Style Chicken Breasts

These are frozen, and come in a 2 lb plastic bag for $4.99. They are "real" chicken breasts...not chopped up with fillers added (the patties and nuggets have fillers). To cook, you just pop them in the oven for 24 minutes, flipping them during the middle of the cooking time. There are also microwave instructions, but I haven't tried that.

These remind me a lot of the chicken at Chick-fil-a...very similar breading and taste.

I really like their produce, fresh and inexpensive.
Lemons
Mushrooms
Tri colored peppers
Grapes
Cherry tomatoes

Their seasonings - grinders are good.

Aldi brand tea. The "product" name escapes me, but it comes in a large container - much better than my once favorite Kroger tea.
Diced potatoes with onions
Salad mix
"Fit & Active" products (yogurt covered raisins, tortilla chips, cookies, soy milk, frozen turkey meatballs, ground turkey - otherwise I don't typically get meats from Aldi though the peppercorn pork loin and ham are good)
Frozen shrimp
Pina Colada bars
Fake "gogurts"
Fruits
Juice - mine carries Welch's with Splenda

I typically don't like their cereals, cleaning products or canned goods.

I have to chime in on the coffee thing. There is a big, big can of generic coffee - it's awful! Tastes like ground crayons or something.

But - they do carry a smaller bag of "donut store blend". Hubby and I adore this, and I am willing to pay the small premium =)

I have heard a lot of horror stories about Aldi, but ours is fairly new and nice, and everything I've ever gotten there has stayed fresh even past it's date (unlike Jewel). Just use your normal shopping prowess. Everyone at my Aldi has also been super helpful and friendly.

We also buy:
- ketchup (my preferred brand)
- spices (very fresh)
- some produce
- individually frozen chicken breasts
- chicken breast nuggets (which, IMO, are pretty close to Disney nuggets)
- cream cheese
- cheese blocks
- milk
- big bag snacks (even Aldi 100 cal packs aren't worth it)
- sugar-free fudge pops
- baking stuff
- canned beans and veggies
- hamburger/hot dog buns and english muffins

I haven't tried canned stuff - mostly because I make my own soups, sauces, etc. I want to try the laundry soap, since it is the cheapest I've seen!

I shop Aldi's every week, too.

I buy bread, bagels, cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, rice, cereal, whatever produce looks good, and always check their name brand specials in the freezer case.

We just had a Price-Rite open near my workplace, so I shop there every other week, too. They have more name brands- like International Delights creamer and Post cereals.

My family is picky about milk, so I go to either of two local grocery stores for that. Most of our meat I get at a meat market.

OK, we went again, had to use that $5 coupon! I bought a pork loin and some pork chops. DD loved the peanut butter/cheese crackers.
I also bought the laundry detergent and tub cream cheese. Haven't tried those yet.
The roma tomatoes I bought earlier are still good. They taste just like the rest of the tomotoes you can buy now. Once I start harvesting, I won't need to buy tomatoes.
I bought some canned stuff.
The prices certainly are cheap on most things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter