WDW SNAKE BITE - pics of my son's "adventure

mickey family

Mouseketeer
I have posted this story before, but someone suggested I repost it. If this story will help prevent anyone from going through what we did, then it is worth reposting.

Last May 2009, my son was bitten by a water moccasin at CBR. He dropped a toy at the edge of the sidewalk into some landscaping and bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk. A snake bit him three times on the finger. He spent three days in intensive care and received 12 vials of anitvenin. Thankfully he is fine, all fingers still intact.

Just be aware of your surroundings, keep out of the landscaping, and you should be fine.

DSC_0158.jpg
[/IMG]
This is where the accident occured. The snake was curled up under a bush next to the light pole.

DSC_0023.jpg
[/IMG]
This is my son in Celebration Hospital's ER. He was transferred to Florida Chidren's Hospital

DSC_0093.jpg
[/IMG]
The day he was released from the hospital. Check out the swelling in his hand.

DSC_0165.jpg
[/IMG]
I saw 2 water moccasin in the lake the day we moved to another resort.

Yikes!! :scared1: Thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad your son is doing well. That must have been a very frightening experience.

Thanks for this post, it's someting to be aware of. We live in an area that has no dangerous or venomous animals, so it quite a change for us when we travel. I try to know what to watchout for before we go. The only anmial we have to look out for on P.E.I is the skunk.
:thumbsup2

So scary...thanks for reposting this!...To think of the times my DD and DS have put their hands in shrubs to try to find a golf ball at mini golf!:scared1:

Your story has made sure we will NEVER do that again.:thumbsup2

How horrifying for your son and you. I am so glad he was okay! Can you direct me to your original thread? How did WDW respond to this?

Saw two snakes at CBR within 100 ft. of each other last week (May 1-8) one evening. I think they were both garter snakes to me but it was a bit hard to tell. My DS7 nearly stepped on the first one before he saw it in the dim light of the evening. My DS2 wanted to pick them up! :eek:

I remember you posting this previously and I'm glad you took time out to post it again. While I've never seen any snakes at WDW I sat up and took notice when I read your previous post.

I'm so glad your son is OK.

Thanks for the reminder - I did see your original post, but had forgotten about it - we head to CBR next week, so I'll be sure to share this with dh and ds6 !!

So glad your son is okay. It must have been horrifying.

DH and I are deathly afraid of snakes.

My oldest dd saw a water moccasin snakewhile she was walking from BC to DHS. Luckily it wasn't close to her but it does remind us to watch our surroundings.

Your ds looks like a real trooper!

Because of your original post, when we were at CBR last week, I kept warning DGD(5) to "watch out for snakes" whenever she was near shrubbery. Without your warning, I never would have even thought of the snake danger! Thanks for the warning. So glad your son is ok now.

That is my whole reason to repost the story, just to make people aware. We should be aware at all times, but the magic of Disney sometimes causes us to let our guard down. WDW is a wonderful place and our family will not hesitate to return as soon as we are able. Little guy doesn't want to stay at CBR, not becuase he feels unsafe there, but just because of the memories.

He was a real trooper. The only time he cried was when the venom started to spread, of course the poor boy was in shock. I hear the pain is excruciating.

I'm so happy that your son (and your family) are ok. Thanks for giving us all something to think about!

:scared1:

My kids are going to have a ball:

"Kids, stay away from the landscaping!! There are cottonmouths in there!!!!!"
"Kids, stay at least 100 feet from Bay Lake!! There are brain-eating amoeba in there!!!!!"
"Kids, stay inside!!! There are alligators outside!!!!!"

In all seriousness, I'm so glad your son is ok and thank you for sharing your story. Great reminder that we always need to be on-guard with our kids.

Thank you for reposting this. I missed it the first time around and I'm so thankful to have caught it this time. It's something very important that we all need to be cognizant about.

Thanks for posting this. It's a good lesson for people like me who aren't used to having snakes around them. I like the last picture of your son smiling. Let's us know that everything is AOK!

I stayed at CBR May 2-5th. We had a HUGE bug in our room and had to call for someone to come take care of it. Apparently one of the calls during that time was about a snake. Every call that comes in regarding snakes they have to go check out to make sure they are nonpoionous ones, and are told they have to stay in that area until they find the snake to check it out.
Also while at CBR there was a family playing on the beach area and IN the water...at least waist deep just swimming around. The one girl looked maybe 3 or 4 and she was swimming/standing right next to the No swimming sign...why do people think they put up those signs? :sad2:
Glad your son is ok!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts