WDW SNAKE BITE - pics of my son's "adventure

Oh my - that is enough to keep me from ever considering the CBR! Too many snake stories there.

This year we stayed at the FW cabins and I saw a black snake on the main path by Pioneer Hall - I was so surprised to see one that close to so many people and activity. Probably a water snake?

The DHS story kind of freaked me out too...I would never expect one in a park!

I'm so sorry that happened on your vacation, and so glad that your son is OK. I live on the SC coast and we see snakes here all the time. We will be on the lookout for them at WDW on our next vacation. Thanks for posting this.

I think I need to educate myself on Florida snakes to feel more secure again. Thank you for sharing........from someone who won't walk past a garter snake!! :rolleyes1

Poor guy. Glad everything turned out fine. Thanks a lot for posting this. I never would've thought about snakes at WDW! :scared1:

BTW, how did you know it was a water moccassin (sp?)? Did you just know? How did you handle the immediate aftermath? I'm guessing one would call 911 immediately. I cannot imagine!

Thank so much for sharing your story. Your little guys is so adorable. I would have never thought to look out for snakes there, but it is good to be aware of your surroudings and what possibly could be in a bush or tall grass. I had a dealing with a garter snake in my yard a few weeks ago, scared the daylights out of me.

BTW, how did you know it was a water moccassin (sp?)? Did you just know? How did you handle the immediate aftermath? I'm guessing one would call 911 immediately. I cannot imagine!

My husband saw the snake as soon as my son said something bit him. Both my older daughter and I then saw it also. I knew immediately from the markings that it was a "bad" snake. My son kept asking me if we saw the tail and what kind it was. Poor thing loves animal planet and was afraid it was a rattler. He also kept asking me if he was going to die. I'm sure you can imagine how horrific that was. Anyway, we were all able to identify it by looking online and the hospital ran tons of bloodwork.

My husband is retired military and trained to catch the snake for identification. Thankfully my mom training got his butt on the phone for 911 and out of the bushes. The ambulance drivers thought it was not venomous, but as soon as we walked into the ER, the doc there knew we were in trouble. I cannot imagine what might have happened if we had just let the EMT clean it out and not gone on to the ER.

I'm surprised any snakes survive the way those maniacs drive those lawn mowers around.

Because of your original post, when we were at CBR last week, I kept warning DGD(5) to "watch out for snakes" whenever she was near shrubbery. Without your warning, I never would have even thought of the snake danger! Thanks for the warning. So glad your son is ok now.

I agree! After 4 years in China, we have never seen a snake (except on a plate) and I would have forgotten to remind my kids about them. Plus, I am one of those people who still thinks that snakes won't come around such a busy area. Not so!

He also kept asking me if he was going to die. I'm sure you can imagine how horrific that was. Anyway, we were all able to identify it by looking online and the hospital ran tons of bloodwork.

Thankfully my mom training got his butt on the phone for 911 and out of the bushes. The ambulance drivers thought it was not venomous, but as soon as we walked into the ER, the doc there knew we were in trouble. I cannot imagine what might have happened if we had just let the EMT clean it out and not gone on to the ER.

I have chills and tears in my eyes. How scary this must have been for son, you and your family. I am so happy to hear he is alright and later in life he will have a "cool" (in boy terms cool :) ) story to tell about his Disney trip.

Thanks for sharing :)

I am sorry this happened to you on your trip how scary! We are going to WL in July and I will now be more aware of my surroundings! Thank you for reposting!

Thanks for posting this! It helps for that extra heads up, especially when some people are not from the South.

First let me say that your son is a handsome little fella and to see his injury makes his story even more upsetting.

Second, thank you for reposting this. I read your story months before we left and told my DH about it. He is a FL native and shook his head in acknowledgment and said that there was a very real threat of us encountering snakes during our visit. I guess he could see the utter shock and fear on my face because he told me it's FL, they're native, no amount of pixie dust can rid the property of them but we'll be fine.

DH and I were on snake patrol the entire time we were there. Our kids had no idea, we didn't go out hunting for them and I never saw one but we were just more aware.

But apparently, DH was more aware than I was as he told me, after we left, that he saw 3 snakes during our stay at CSR. He said all three were in the water and were no real threat to us but he admitted that he saw them because he was looking and he was looking because of your son.

So thank you! And I'm glad that your son recovered!

I am also glad that he was OK, and hope this didn't adversly affect his view of Disney. Just wondering, snakes don't wander into pools, do they? :eek:

My Lord I never knew that all those heads swimming in the lagoon were water mocassins. I'm from NJ I mostly swim in pools and oceans. I have often wondered what they were I thought the were turtles. I have seen them often when we have been at the Poly . I am heading back with my 7YO neice in October. I will be aware thank you so much. I am so glad that this has had such a good outcome.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/snakebites-about-to-get-more-deadly

Different snake but I thought of you when I saw it. Glad your son is recovering well. Will remind DD when we go to Disney again.

Denise in MI

Remember, in reference to coral snake markings: "Red touches black, okay Jack; red touches yellow, kill a fellow." If the red bands touch the black bands, it's a kingsnake and nonvenomous. Coral snakes are bad news, but kingsnakes love to eat venomous snakes. NEVER kill a kingsnake.

Here in Kentucky, we have 4 of the 6 venomous snakes that Florida does: copperhead, cottonmouth, timber rattler, and pygmy rattler. Florida also has the coral and the eastern diamondback. Copperheads are everywhere here, so we're used to being very careful where we put our hands and feet, but this will be a great reminder for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter