WDW Should Not Open in July. Discuss.

Should WDW open in July?

• Yes. I'd definitely go if I had the chance.

Votes: 133 26.3%
  • No. Not in July, but I would go before a vaccine is available.

Votes: 203 40.2%
  • No. Not in July, and I won't feel safe going until there is a vaccine.

Votes: 169 33.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine the pressure isn't going to mount on the governor of Florida.

He couldn't care less and has made that abundantly clear throughout this entire pandemic.

He does "token" things like closing certain beaches and parks, where people are outdoors, and by nature of the activity, socially distancing. Yet, we don't even have to wear masks here and businesses are booming like nothing at all is going on.

Locally, we are having a parade and festival before fireworks tonight. Well, I shouldn't say "we" because I sure don't plan on being there. In the Walmart here, only the employees wear masks, and have only started that in the past week. Customers wearing masks is about 10% to 20%.

The entire state is a train wreck.

I’ve heard so many people say oh we have our own rental house with a pool. We will cook our own meals. We won’t be out and about. But I think most would agree you get away on vacation and you relax. I see pictures of people out at restaurants. You run into a store or a couple souvenir shops. Before you know it you have had contact with hundreds of people.
I think Disney will do everything they can to keep people safe. It’s the in between times I worry about. Even going into the gas station. If that many people are confirmed positive you know there are tens of thousands more walking around who have not been tested.

He couldn't care less and has made that abundantly clear throughout this entire pandemic.

He does "token" things like closing certain beaches and parks, where people are outdoors, and by nature of the activity, socially distancing. Yet, we don't even have to wear masks here and businesses are booming like nothing at all is going on.

Locally, we are having a parade and festival before fireworks tonight. Well, I shouldn't say "we" because I sure don't plan on being there. In the Walmart here, only the employees wear masks, and have only started that in the past week. Customers wearing masks is about 10% to 20%.

Yep close the beaches but not the bars and restaurants. In other words, leave the businesses open so you can continue to rake in that money.

I hear you. Listen, here in NJ, the amount of virus is low because we legit *stayed home*. We all did. I know none of us will forget this time, but I will always remember how incredibly quiet it was here in busy NJ....for *months*. We stayed home as we spiked, and we stayed home as the numbers came home. I'm really proud of our governor. He's getting pushback from businesses, and I understand that too. But if we don't prioritize peoples' lives...who are we?

But you make a point...there are parades, fireworks...etc, but you mentioned you won't be attending. There are a lot of people like you. And so, by kind of putting his fingers in his ears and "la la la-ing" his way through this pandemic, as if it's not happening to his constituents....he assuring that Florida will have a lousy recovery. This virus is going to dictate the rules in case he hasn't figured that out yet.

I'm also sure that there a lot of pretty anxious people with upcoming Disney trips booked...."should we go?", "is it safe"?. The answer is no. It's not safe.

I’ve heard so many people say oh we have our own rental house with a pool. We will cook our own meals. We won’t be out and about. But I think most would agree you get away on vacation and you relax. I see pictures of people out at restaurants. You run into a store or a couple souvenir shops. Before you know it you have had contact with hundreds of people.
I think Disney will do everything they can to keep people safe. It’s the in between times I worry about. Even going into the gas station. If that many people are confirmed positive you know there are tens of thousands more walking around who have not been tested.

Well, I'm sure they have great intentions. But....they're going to have people indoors at their restaurants. It's just too many people coming together at the wrong time.

Well, I'm sure they have great intentions. But....they're going to have people indoors at their restaurants. It's just too many people coming together at the wrong time.
That’s right. I’ve had this conversation with myself in my desire to get away somewhere. You let your guard down and there is no taking it back.

Yep close the beaches but not the bars and restaurants. In other words, leave the businesses open so you can continue to rake in that money.

He put a ban at alcohol at bars. That didn't work. They just need less than 50% of their income to come from alcohol sales, so they all started selling food.

Then, a few days ago, he made fireworks illegal except on the 4th of July, News Years Eve, and New Years Day. I would think he has bigger things he should be concerned with right now.

Not with Florida currently reporting as many cases a day as is currently the case. Let me preface this with saying I was at Boardwalk/Poly during the week of June 22nd but there was nobody there and it felt like a safe environment to be in. You can not for one second tell me this will be the case once the parks open. I don’t believe this is going to stop them from opening as I believe they have to open purely for financial reasons and I guess I can’t fault them for that as a publicly traded company but I still in no way believe that they should do so.

Anyone going to WDW next week is putting their life at risk.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's irresponsible behavior. Say you don't have symptoms, but bring it back home with you. How is that helpful for anybody. My neighbor just sent pictures from a trip to the Poconos celebrating her in-law's 50-something wedding anniversary. Her FIL is 80. They took their teens with them for this. How is this sensible? Unless we're looking for an early inheritance.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's irresponsible behavior. Say you don't have symptoms, but bring it back home with you. How is that helpful for anybody. My neighbor just sent pictures from a trip to the Poconos celebrating her in-law's 50-something wedding anniversary. Her FIL is 80. They took their teens with them for this. How is this sensible? Unless we're looking for an early inheritance.

If you have an ADR, and you are asymptomatic, you then put the entire restaurant, and everyone THEY go home to at risk.

If you have an ADR, and you are asymptomatic, you then put the entire restaurant, and everyone THEY go home to at risk.
Apparently we're living in a society right now that doesn't care about anyone else's risk. And we've got leaders who are from the "every man for himself" school of thought.

I think one of the biggest mistakes they made in first COVID-19 PSAs is that they kept on about it being dangerous to "old people." It gave younger people the idea that they're not going to get sick, and their kids won't get sick, either. We all face risk every day, but this is one that we can avoid if we choose to be responsible.

The population in Florida is about 2.5 times that of New York, so it's still fewer cases per capita. Not that it's at all good, I worry that the hospitalizations will shoot up and cause all sorts of problems.

Though I am for WDW opening, I think it's less risky than opening bars back up and everything is ultimately a risk-reward balance on a bunch of scales including public health and economy. But I think the people who choose to go should do so carefully, taking into account their own risk factors and those of the people they plan to interact with immediately once back home. I mean, I wouldn't go to WDW and then go back home and visit grandma in the nursing home right away. I wouldn't go if I was in a risk group -- on immunosuppressants, over 60 years old, obese, diabetic, etc.

The thought of wearing a mask all day for multiple days in the Florida heat and humidity alone is enough to make me, personally, not want to go. I went to the zoo here in Atlanta for a couple of hours and got sick of the cloth mask, it was stifling, I wouldn't have wanted to wear it outside for another 8 hours. If anyone is planning to go, my advice is to take some lighter-weight surgical masks in addition to reusable cloth masks, as I suspect the surgical masks will be less annoying to wear in humidity.
Not even close. The population of NY in 2018 was 19.5 million. Florida is right around 21.5 million. I am terrible with math and even I know that is NOT even close to being 2.5 times.

I mean, this is true, whether people want to believe it or not. I wonder if Disney is limiting party size. I'm thinking of larger groups, drinking a lot at their table and getting louder...etc. That's where it gets dicey. Also, they're kicking off their opening with Food and Wine Fest. I wonder who came up with that idea? People can take off masks when they're eating and drinking. And so, if you have a beer, wine...or food, can you stroll around world showcase? It just seems like a disaster. Well, it doesn't just seem like it to me, it is a disaster in the making.

How many reports have we seen of people feeling sick or knowing they were COVID positive and still going out or hosting parties??

People going to WDW will absolutely have this same mindset when dropping thousands of dollars on their vacation. The parks will be swarming with infectious people from employees to visitors. Yes, masks and temperature checks will weed out some, but it’ll spread absolutely.

beyond the covid risk i would be fearful of going to wdw because of the level of stress/angry mindset of far too many people right now. disney can require people to wear masks to enter the parks but the reality is some will immediately remove them upon entry. the same will happen with social distancing requirements so that means security is going to have to be substantially increased to deal with both the non-compliant as well as the guests who take it upon themselves to try to enforce the rules on others and end up in verbal and physical altercations. i anticipate it will either be a police state like environment to keep the peace or not one i would feel safe in.

i have a family member who works at a resort/destination that has already reopened. the number of instances where guests have gotten into physical altercations has skyrocketed. security has been increased tremendously but they are at the breaking point and there have been more staff resignations than they can fill w/new employees. people don't feel minimum wage or a bit above is worth having to break up fist fights between senior citizens arguing over elevators or having irate non masked guests purposely cough or spit in their faces or the faces of other guests b/c they are ticked at having a longer than normal wait for limited dining or attraction seating.

Apparently we're living in a society right now that doesn't care about anyone else's risk. And we've got leaders who are from the "every man for himself" school of thought.

I think one of the biggest mistakes they made in first COVID-19 PSAs is that they kept on about it being dangerous to "old people." It gave younger people the idea that they're not going to get sick, and their kids won't get sick, either. We all face risk every day, but this is one that we can avoid if we choose to be responsible.
I think they believed that back then! The problem is the medical community can’t just say we don’t know anything about this but we would take a cautious approach until we have a few months to figure it out! Too many definitive experts without back up!

Some elderly folks have decided not to social distance from their family. No one is promised tomorrow especially the seniors. Do you not think they have the right to make that choice?

No company is too big to fail. Has happened before. Didn’t Disney take on tons of debt last year buying Fox? Sudden stop of revenues will hurt any healthy corporation. Look at the airlines. Many were healthy and has billions in reserves , low debt and now need bailouts items they fail.

Yes, there are companies that are too big to fail. Just depends on how buddy-buddy you are with the Fed and DC.

Are you talking about airlines in the US?
If so, can you point me to a particular financial statement that show billions in reserves and low debt? I haven’t seen that before.

Yes, there are companies that are too big to fail. Just depends on how buddy-buddy you are with the Fed and DC.

Are you talking about airlines in the US?
If so, can you point me to a particular financial statement that show billions in reserves and low debt? I haven’t seen that before.
The fed is buying their bonds to keep the markets stable and the companies afloat! Once they can’t pay back those debts the truth will come out and inflation will soar! Just watch and wait the market correction will happen!

Do I think this is the right time for Disney to open? No, probably not. But at this point, short of a complete lockdown for the state or areas of the state, I don’t see Disney being open spiking the numbers worse than they already are. If Disney delays their opening, people will just find other places to gather.

That being said, would I be traveling out of state to go to Disney now? No, definitely not. As much as I want to, it just wouldn’t be much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter