WDW Should Not Open in July. Discuss.

Should WDW open in July?

• Yes. I'd definitely go if I had the chance.

Votes: 133 26.3%
  • No. Not in July, but I would go before a vaccine is available.

Votes: 203 40.2%
  • No. Not in July, and I won't feel safe going until there is a vaccine.

Votes: 169 33.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at about 50/50 as far as thinking a vaccine that works will become a reality. There are too many reports of immunity lasting just a few (as few as two in some) months, and no proof that the immunity keeps you from being reinfected. I would like to be wrong about that, but I am currently of the mindset that we need to take as many precautions as possible while allowing most businesses to open so long as they take precautions as well. No, I do not have plans to visit WDW as soon as they open, but I do have plans for an 11 night trip in August and plan to go. I will probably be safer there than I will be when I go back to my office next week for the first time . . .

With the spike in cases and the fact that there is no vaccine, I am not planning to go anywhere that I don't need to go. My DH has to go to work. My DS will be returning to college and I will be returning to work at a public school in August (provided they reopen). We go to the grocery store to buy food. We need to go to those places and will follow all necessary safety precautions. However, we do not need to go to theme parks or other places strictly for entertainment. So we will choose not to. I am hopeful that a vaccine will be forthcoming, although I know it could take months longer than currently projected. I have an elderly mom who needs to be protected. I will do all that I can, which includes making the choice to stay home as much as possible.

I am at about 50/50 as far as thinking a vaccine that works will become a reality. There are too many reports of immunity lasting just a few (as few as two in some) months, and no proof that the immunity keeps you from being reinfected. I would like to be wrong about that, but I am currently of the mindset that we need to take as many precautions as possible while allowing most businesses to open so long as they take precautions as well. No, I do not have plans to visit WDW as soon as they open, but I do have plans for an 11 night trip in August and plan to go. I will probably be safer there than I will be when I go back to my office next week for the first time . . .

A vaccine doesn't exist yet. The immunity I believe you're referring to is in regard to those who have had the virus and whether or not they get it again, and if so how long before it's possible to contract it again. That information is all anecdotal at this point, so extrapolating that into the efficacy of a vaccine that isn't even in existence yet seems to be a bit of a stretch.

I'm definitely not ready personally and I don't think given the current trends, it's smart to be reopening them at this time. But I'm also not banking on a vaccine, so I won't necessarily wait until there is one. I can't say at this point when I'd be comfortable though.

Last edited:

It is irresponsible and stupid to open now. Do we really need people coming from all over the country to a state known for surging cases and then go disperse back all over the country. And the people actually going are being irresponsible and selfish as well.

I don't really fit any of the choices. I don't have a strong opinion on if/when they should reopen, and I wouldn't hesitate to go before there is a vaccine... but not with the current precautionary measures in place.

I thought briefly about planning a Universal trip this summer, to take advantage of the reduced capacity to see the Wizarding World while my HP fan is home from college, but we ultimately decided needing to wear masks all day in the FL heat would be too uncomfortable to make an enjoyable vacation or park experience. So we're going to the mountains instead and enjoying travels that don't require hours in masks. I don't see myself going back to the parks until the mask requirement is lifted, though I might consider it in the winter.

We have a trip to Florida (Kissimmee) planned in mid-August. To a private vacation home, with it's own pool, where we will sequester ourselves away from humanity for a blissful week. I'm calling it our apocalypse vacation. We will not be going to a theme park.

We have a trip to Florida (Kissimmee) planned in mid-August. To a private vacation home, with it's own pool, where we will sequester ourselves away from humanity for a blissful week. I'm calling it our apocalypse vacation. We will not be going to a theme park.
Assuming short term rentals don't get rolled back here, we have a similar plan on this coast.

With the spike in cases and the fact that there is no vaccine, I am not planning to go anywhere that I don't need to go. My DH has to go to work. My DS will be returning to college and I will be returning to work at a public school in August (provided they reopen). We go to the grocery store to buy food. We need to go to those places and will follow all necessary safety precautions. However, we do not need to go to theme parks or other places strictly for entertainment. So we will choose not to. I am hopeful that a vaccine will be forthcoming, although I know it could take months longer than currently projected. I have an elderly mom who needs to be protected. I will do all that I can, which includes making the choice to stay home as much as possible.
I could have written your post. Except I’m a retired teacher and I sub. So I don’t have to go back to work, and I’m not sure how that is all going to play out.

Assuming short term rentals don't get rolled back here, we have a similar plan on this coast.

I meant to go back and add that...UNLESS things get shut down. We had the same trip planned for Cocoa Beach in May that wound up getting postponed to next year because everything was in shut down including rental.

DH and I have not had a day off since December and we are at full on burn out. We can't vacation at home. We literally have to leave the state to have a day off (business owners).

I wouldn't go. We are still being very selective about where we go and who we have contact with.

I own an essential business and have been very busy the past 3 month. (We sell PPE) I feel like I am more likely to get other people sick since I have daily contact with my staff, our delivery drivers have contact with our vendors and customers. I pretty much keep my butt at home and wear a mask in public.

I have a cruise planned for February 2021 that I am hoping we get to take and a WDW trip planned for June 2021 that I hope we can take as well! We will see where things take us...

Headed to Florida next weekend. Visiting Universal Studios.

Enjoy. Wish I was going. I have a trip planned in beginning of September but my state is a no fun state. 14 day quarantine once you get back from Florida. Unless Florida gets their act together. People need to be smart but a lot are not. Don’t live in fear but play it smart. One percent of the population is messing it up for the rest of us.

I think it’s crazy to go to a theme park during a pandemic. But some people want the experience. Open it up, and open the rides, where people can maintain social distancing. Don’t open everything, especially the small bars, where we have learned that social distancing and mask compliance is impossible. Let people drink in restaurants at a table.

I wonder how many cast members or family of cast members will have to die before they realize how moronic this decision is?

you want the economy to stay shut down? Ask them cast members how they feel when they lose that extra 600 dollars a week when they only get Floridas terrible unemployment pay. Lots of people have to go to work. My wife works at a grocery store. Over 500 workers works at the grocery store in New Jersey. Not one person has gotten corona. Why because masks are required for workers and shoppers. Just like it will be in wdw. of course with 70k workers there will be some corona. But we can’t stay shutdown forever.

Last edited:
It is irresponsible and stupid to open now. Do we really need people coming from all over the country to a state known for surging cases and then go disperse back all over the country. And the people actually going are being irresponsible and selfish as well.

I feel the same exact way!

Not only are cases skyrocketing here in Florida, but anywhere that hosts gatherings for people from all over is just ridiculous! Purely a financial decision and putting so many people at risk.

On the other side, as a Florida resident, it makes me almost physically sick to drive around see cars with tags from all over the country! Go home, for goodness sake! WHY ARE YOU HERE? Please just go home. Florida will be here when this is all over.

Our retail workers and gas stations are at enough risk without dragging all these travelers here. So completely selfish. We are not even traveling within the state and are still only grocery shopping once a month. If things get any worse than they are, I will limit that to pick up only and not go in stores at all.

Sorry for getting off topic ..... But this is just such a train wreck waiting to happen. I'm so sad for all the people that WILL die and their families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter