WDW before or after DCL

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
On the email show this week there was a question from somebody who is going on PCC 2.0 and was wondering if it was better to do the parks before or after a DCL cruise. I thought the crew did a good job of responding to that question and I would normally agree with their WDW before DCL suggestion.

But (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) in this case I'd do it the other way around. I found that we "bonded" with the other DIS'ers on PCC 1.0 and the time at WDW after the cruise was really special. Just DATW alone was a never to be forgotten experience. And that's some pretty high praise for me, considering my 20+ years of heavy-duty Disney turing and the fact that Val & I actually met at WDW.

Unfortunately I don't recall who had the question, but I know they said this was their first cruise and I don't believe they had met any of us before. So, I'll say in this case to seriously consider doing the WDW portion after the cruise. :sail:

I am planning on doing a few days before the cruise and a few days after the cruise at the parks to take in the Holiday experience and all the DIS events.

I agree with the team on this one but say if you can get a day or two after great. Before I had APs, I hated going to the parks after a cruise because I did not have the ambition to do anything. I was too relaxed from the cruise.

Very good point Jeff. The after part with DIS'ers is the best.

For 2.0 I'm locked into after because I'll have a two week work furlough at the end of December. So I'll basically be off for three weeks in December. I'll be in WDW pretty much right up until Christmas. :santa:

Given it's proximity to Christmas, I think I will go for a few days beforehand. As it is, I'll have to be "prepared" for Christmas before we even go. So, when I get home, there won't be much left to do. It's going to be a crazy good time!

If all goes according to plan, we will be doing WDW the week before 2.0 and a couple days after. We probably won't get this chance for a long time to stay that long again because the 2 oldest will be in school after that.

Hmmm, maybe that means adult only cruises in the future..... :scratchin

Hello all,
I am the young lady that called in last week on the show. Thanks for all the great advice about when to go to WDW. I am planning to go to WDW before the cruise so that I can spend time with my godchildren and best friend. They are not going on the cruise with me :sad: I look forward to meeting everyone on this cruise and I know I will have a blast :goodvibes I plan on going to Universal after the cruise for two days since I have never been there. Once a Disney fan always a Disney fan :laughing:

In my experience with PCC 1.0 I did a few days before, but I have to say that the few days after were some of the most special time I have had at WDW.

After meeting all these great people on the ship spending time with them off the ship was a real highlight. Yes, the transition off the ship back to the parks is a bit different, but it is worth it. Drinking around the world and visiting the parks was really cool

My suggestion is to add a few days after. PCC 2.0 is different then the usual lay around and relax cruse. They keep us busy.

Just my ten cents.

Don

I agree with all the usual points about doing all the "hard work" in the parks first, then relaxing on the cruise to wrap up the vacation.

For us, however, it'll be DCL, then WDW. The biggest reason for this is the fact that my daughter will be missing a week of school for the cruise, but will then be off for Christmas break. So rather than her missing any more school by doing the parks before the cruise, we're doing 6 days at WDW after. I know it may seem like "work" compared to the pampering we'll get on the Wonder, but we'll still love it!

Can't wait to meet you all,
John in Virginia

Great point Jeff. Usually doing WDW first is the way I recommend but after the first Podcast cruise I can see the benefit of a few days at WDW after the cruise. It's a great way to continue the fun from the Podcast cruise.

We cruised on the Wonder on New Year's Eve-Jan 4 this year, then spent a couple more days after in the parks.
I have to agree with the concept that you get way too relaxed, spoiled and pampered on the cruise, and that the parks after the cruise seem like work... plus you keep looking for the free food (and your servers! ;))

However for us, the timing of the 4 days cruises means we will be doing our WDW days after PCC2.0 once again.
It's all a matter of using vacation days from work most efficiently.
Since we sail on a Sunday and debark on a Thursday AM, it makes more sense for us to fly down Saturday, stay in the airport Hyatt, cruise and then hit the parks for 3 more nights post cruise.

That's our plan for 2010. We're more prepared for the "post cruise blues" this time around! :)

Very good point Jeff. The after part with DIS'ers is the best.

For 2.0 I'm locked into after because I'll have a two week work furlough at the end of December. So I'll basically be off for three weeks in December. I'll be in WDW pretty much right up until Christmas. :santa:

I am taking the 3 weeks before Christmas off from work and then we have the Week from Christmas Eve until January 3rd off for our Christmas Holiday, so in essence I will be taking the entire month of December off from work. My plan is to do at least 5 days before and 5 days after the cruise at WDW.

We are planning on the week before the cruise one day dhs/osborne lights, one day MVMCP, and two days of Harry Potter world, arrival day resorts/DTD...it would also be super cool if they did a toy story mania party next year before the cruise, fingers crossed for asking for too much fun!:woohoo:

I am taking the 3 weeks before Christmas off from work and then we have the Week from Christmas Eve until January 3rd off for our Christmas Holiday, so in essence I will be taking the entire month of December off from work. My plan is to do at least 5 days before and 5 days after the cruise at WDW.

:worship::worship::worship: I am so jealous. I could only dream of doing something like that! But that's just too much time away from my job, I probably wouldn't have one to come home to! :scared1:

However for us, the timing of the 4 days cruises means we will be doing our WDW days after PCC2.0 once again.
It's all a matter of using vacation days from work most efficiently.
Since we sail on a Sunday and debark on a Thursday AM, it makes more sense for us to fly down Saturday, stay in the airport Hyatt, cruise and then hit the parks for 3 more nights post cruise.

That's our plan for 2010. We're more prepared for the "post cruise blues" this time around! :)

See, that's how I've been thinking too. I think we're going to fly into MCO on Saturday also, but then we're going to drive over Cocoa Beach for that first night. The hotel we're going to be staying at has free parking for cruisers. Figure this way we'll be able ato get to the terminal early and secure an early boarding. Then after the cruise we can just pick up out car and head back to WDW for 3 nights or so... At least that's the plan "today"

My first Disney cruise was a 4-night with my elderly mom, and it wasn't a great cruise. I was very happy I planned to spend 4 days at WDW post-cruise...SOLO!

I am going to WDW on both sides of a 4-night Disney cruise this December. However, because the Podcast cruise ends on Dec. 16 - I would go to WDW before the cruise. Airfares jump the weekend before Christmas, as do crowd levels.

We're flying in on the Friday (just in case of any delays :scared1:) - cruise on Sunday, then staying over Christmas and flying home around the 27th / 28th :woohoo:

Hopefully the flights will drop in price between Christmas and New Years :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter