Water park strategies

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
I would imagine that the waterparks are usually less busy at opening (10am) but is there any indication of how busy they are between 4-7pm? we have park hopper plus water park tickets and i was thinking of tacking on a waterpark visit on a couple different days for just a few hours in the evening. I was hoping the sun would be less strong after 5pm. Anybody have experience or advice with this? I'm struggling to figure out how to fit the waterpark into our visit and am also nervous about waiting in long lines during intense midday sun. I looked into the evening party at TP but it is way cheaper for me to just add the waterpark option to my 8 day tickets than buy the party.

I went in the middle of September last year to blizzard beach. I went solo, got there a little before it opened and got a locker first thing. Then headed to summit plummet (take the ski lift, it’s tiring walking those stairs). Did twice and the one next to it before moving on. Then I just moved from area to area doing the slides there, took a trip on the lazy river and went to the wave pool, hit the last of the slides and was done in a couple hours, maybe a little longer but not more than 3. The longest line I was I just got to the top, one had just went down, the next person, then me.

My biggest problem was when you walk up stairs, have no line, so you come down immediately and go back up for another slide, I was getting winded (mid thirties and somewhat active but cardio was never a strong point). A few times I would get to the top and just catch my breath and talk to the cast member.

Went back to the hotel for the hottest part of the day, and disney springs in the evening.

Last edited:

that makes sense

Get UV shirts/rashguards. They stay wet for a long time, keeping you cool while waiting in lines. And wear water socks to protect your feet. I also wear a running hat or lightweight bucket hat that can get wet.

First 2 hours and last 2 hours are best times if you want to avoid crowds and get a lot done. The biggest risk you take is that from late April to September you have a significant chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. A couple of our June trips we had storms every day around 5 PM and they basically just closed the waterparks early those days.

I went in the middle of September last year to blizzard beach. I went solo, got there a little before it opened and got a locker first thing. Then headed to summit plummet (take the ski lift, it’s tiring walking those stairs). Did twice and the one next to it before moving on. Then I just moved from area to area doing the slides there, took a trip on the lazy river and went to the wave pool, hit the last of the slides and was done in a couple hours, maybe a little longer but not more than 3. The longest line I was I just got to the top, one had just went down, the next person, then me.

My biggest problem was when you walk up stairs, have no line, so you come down immediately and go back up for another slide, I was getting winded (mid thirties and somewhat active but cardio was never a strong point). A few times I would get to the top and just catch my breath and talk to the cast member.

Went back to the hotel for the hottest part of the day, and disney springs in the evening.
Waterparks are exhausting when they're empty.

They do tend to empty out in the late afternoon as people hop to other parks or go get changed for dinner. If you stay til closing you'll have most of the park to yourself.

Get UV shirts/rashguards. They stay wet for a long time, keeping you cool while waiting in lines. And wear water socks to protect your feet. I also wear a running hat or lightweight bucket hat that can get wet.
Will they allow water socks and hats on water slides?

Will they allow water socks and hats on water slides?
Yes, on most. You have to take them off on the body slides. I kept them on for all the raft and inner tube rides, including Crush & Gusher, no problem. I just held them across my chest on body slides.

This might sound stupid but what is considered "water socks"? Obviously I'm from a climate where water shoes is the only thing mentioned

This might sound stupid but what is considered "water socks"? Obviously I'm from a climate where water shoes is the only thing mentioned
A.K.A. "aqua socks"

Search that on Amazon or Google. They are flexible, mesh, low profile shoes. They fit tight and are usually neoprene or nylon mesh with a thin sole full of holes for water to drain out.

We all use these:

Limited-time deal: Aleader Women's Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes https://a.co/d/eycdshr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter