Watching the tropics... again (aka Irma)

So what would be the absolute soonest I would notice any sort of negative weather impact at all associated with Irma on my Sept 4-11 WDW vacation next week?

I'm going to be there at the same time as you are (5th -12th) It looks like even if it heads toward the Caribbean Islands, it won't affect them until about Tuesday. The fact is that it is September, You're probably going to see thunderstorms and rain every day of your trip with or without Irma. If the storm heads toward Florida, there will be more rain than normal. If in the unlikely event she does point directly at Orlando, my guess would be for the weekend, so maybe the 8th/9th? Either way, put on your poncho, wear waterproof shoes and go have fun.

I'm a little disappointed in the latest models...looks like the path has been adjusted to be going closer to FL than yesterday, right? I know it will have minimal impact on WDW. However, for us, my MIL lives in Daytona Beach - she was going to come here and watch our kids so we could take a trip sans kids. If by Monday or Tuesday Irma is predicted to hit the coast near her, our trip *could* be in jeopardy.

Am I wrong, isn't it looking like it could be a "fish storm" meaning it misses the coast and stays out to sea? I have only seen a few potential tracks that have it hitting central Florida. But I do realize it is still way too early to know where it will go. I like following "Mike's Weather Page" on Facebook for Florida weather.

Am I wrong, isn't it looking like it could be a "fish storm" meaning it misses the coast and stays out to sea? I have only seen a few potential tracks that have it hitting central Florida. But I do realize it is still way too early to know where it will go. I like following "Mike's Weather Page" on Facebook for Florida weather.

I agree, but it's obviously far too early to know.

We're heading down on the 11th... As long as we can get in ok I'm good. If I'm going to ride out a hurricane I'd prefer that it be at Disney (here's hoping it never hits land, anywhere).

As of right now later in the day Sunday (the 10th) and then that Monday seem to when Orlando would be getting hit the worst. Still not over the eye or anything, and this can and will change... but that's the info right now.

We are still planning on coming up on the 13th. I am only concerned with the amount of rain, this is meant for a night at the AK dvc party and water parks and MNSSHP-holdong off on buying tix just yet. We have been at WDW for more than 1 storm. If it is direct they will probably ask you to stay in room for a 12 hr period or so. They won't run out of food, parks will open asap and stay open as long as safe.

We are in S fla and everyone is prepping. The model shifted a bit more south and west again. Most place s are already out of water. I would rather just have a plan in place and we do nothing if it is a cat 2 or lower.

If it hits in Florida expect huge , huge crowds afterwards. Both because people will now be off, WDW is open and may not have power where they are. We were in WDW during wilma, took my DH and supplies back to s fla, then drove back and spent a wk at WDW. It was packed, saw lots of people we knew from home. And when we came back. it was still no power for another week. I wish I had stayed longer with the kids. I would rather be there than anywhere else!

I'm worried as we are flying into Orlando on the 7th from the UK and I have a young disabled child! Is there any advice anyone can give or is it still too early to be worrying at the moment? Thank you.

I'm worried as we are flying into Orlando on the 7th from the UK and I have a young disabled child! Is there any advice anyone can give or is it still too early to be worrying at the moment? Thank you.

It looks like you're arriving well before anything happens. We've gone to WDW every year in September for the first 15 yrs we were married. We were at WDW twice during hurricanes. ONe was Charley, and I think the other was Arthur. Anyway, they do a great job during storms. We had access to food (although there were long lines, and it was not hot food, understandably). They gave each room a flashlight, in case of a power outage, and closed the parks. iN other words, they make the best of a situation. Orlando is inland, which is good. My advice would be to buy some bread, peanut butter, jelly, breakfast bars, etc, in the little store in the lobby of your resort when you arrive. In other words food and drink that doesn't need refrigerating. You'll probably have some wet weather, storm or not, so waterproof sandals, throwaway ponchos, etc would be good.

Now I am starting to worry. I arrive on the 9th(morning) and leave on the 13th, a short, solo trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. I have MNSSHP tickets for the 10th. Might not be worth it to go if my few days there are going to a wash out.

We have our first ever trip to WDW flying in late on the 8th. I am worried because my daughter's birthday is the 10th, the day most models seem to have hurricane hitting FL if it heads that way. We made ADRs to celebrate her birthday and ordered a custom cake for that evening at chef Mickey's. I am assuming if the park closes I won't have a chance at getting my ADRs again?

Disneylver, your trip sound almost exactly like mine! I arrive on the morning of the 8th instead of the 9th, but I also leave on the 13th and am planning on MNSSHP for the 10th. I think that it's still worth it to go, even if we end up a bit waterlogged. You deserve to celebrate! And I just really need the time off from work. Lol

My biggest worry about Irma is that I'm not flying home on the 13th: I'm flying to Disneyland for part 2 of my magical September getaway. I have a room booked at the Park Vue Inn and the thought of flight delays or cancellations and trying to rebook everything last minute stresses me out. So I'll be paying close attention to the storm watch!

We have our first ever trip to WDW flying in late on the 8th. I am worried because my daughter's birthday is the 10th, the day most models seem to have hurricane hitting FL if it heads that way. We made ADRs to celebrate her birthday and ordered a custom cake for that evening at chef Mickey's. I am assuming if the park closes I won't have a chance at getting my ADRs again?

Honesty, I would be surprised if they close the parks but definitely keep on eye on the 10th. If it starts to get messy for Disney this would be the day.

We still have literally no idea where or if it's gonna hit. Your daughter's birthday could easily go off without a hitch. By the time you fly in you'll have a much better understanding.

If possible, maybe make similar ADRs (if still possible) on Saturday as well?

Call me when the center gets far enough West to be even with the the Eastern tip of Cuba and it is no more than 100 miles North of that location. Until that happens the only thing "likely" with a tropical wave like this is in its current position is either dissipation or a turn north into the North Atlantic well before it gets anywhere close to Florida.

*ring ring*

There's another Hurricane Irma thread as well!

We're heading down on the 11th... As long as we can get in ok I'm good. If I'm going to ride out a hurricane I'd prefer that it be at Disney (here's hoping it never hits land, anywhere).
We arrive in Orlando on the 9th. This is the way I feel too, though I am a little worried about my home in NC - if it misses FL it will likely hit NC

We are still planning on coming up on the 13th. I am only concerned with the amount of rain, this is meant for a night at the AK dvc party and water parks and MNSSHP-holdong off on buying tix just yet. We have been at WDW for more than 1 storm. If it is direct they will probably ask you to stay in room for a 12 hr period or so. They won't run out of food, parks will open asap and stay open as long as safe.

We are in S fla and everyone is prepping. The model shifted a bit more south and west again. Most place s are already out of water. I would rather just have a plan in place and we do nothing if it is a cat 2 or lower.

If it hits in Florida expect huge , huge crowds afterwards. Both because people will now be off, WDW is open and may not have power where they are. We were in WDW during wilma, took my DH and supplies back to s fla, then drove back and spent a wk at WDW. It was packed, saw lots of people we knew from home. And when we came back. it was still no power for another week. I wish I had stayed longer with the kids. I would rather be there than anywhere else!
We have tix for the AK party too. A little worried about that if there is a direct hit, there will be a lot of damage. I am more excited about this event than the MNSSHP since it will be the only time we will get to see Avatar until next year, and with a lot less crowds. We were there for matthew last year and they closed for the MNSSHP on thur (our tix) and closed the parks for the whole Friday. On Saturday and sunday, the crowds were much lower than we anticipated.

you will be fine flying in on the 7th. As long as you are ok with possibly staying in your room for a day, it should be fine. Will be rainy though.

Now I am starting to worry. I arrive on the 9th(morning) and leave on the 13th, a short, solo trip to celebrate my 50th birthday. I have MNSSHP tickets for the 10th. Might not be worth it to go if my few days there are going to a wash out.
Happy birthday! There is a party on the 12th too, which likely will be fine as long as there is not a lot of damage. If the 10th gets canceled, they will switch your ticket. Unfortunately, that means the 12th (my night) will be super busy.

Honesty, I would be surprised if they close the parks but definitely keep on eye on the 10th. If it starts to get messy for Disney this would be the day.

We still have literally no idea where or if it's gonna hit. Your daughter's birthday could easily go off without a hitch. By the time you fly in you'll have a much better understanding.

If possible, maybe make similar ADRs (if still possible) on Saturday as well?
They closed for 1.5 days last year for Matthew and it grazed the coastline. If Irma comes up the middle, like a few of the projections show, they will close.

I think as of right now Sunday through Tuesday has a threat of closing. Could be them all could be none. But these are the days to watch out for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter