Was supposed to be arriving in WDW today for surprise first trip with kids

Jen81NYC

Mouseketeer
Today was going to the first day of our first WDW trip—it’s the week of my older son’s 7th birthday and everything was perfectly planned. Staying at Poly and had some fun ADRs and add ons like pirate & pals. I was *so* excited to surprise them with the trip the day before and for the first time ever, had purchased all stuff we’d need in advance. I know others are going through much more serious things but I am so sad. I rescheduled for first week of September but I’m not excited about it and doubtful that trip will happen too—even if WDW is open by then, I doubt it will be the full WDW experience and not sure I want to spend all that money to be worried the whole time, not have daily fireworks, etc.
I otherwise don’t know when we’ll be able to go again assuming September trip doesn’t work out—limited to school breaks and definitely not having my kids miss school for a 2021 trip. Maybe end of summer 2021? Seems so far away and hot and my kids will be 8.5 and 6.
I guess I don’t have a point but I just wanted to share my sadness! Hope everyone is staying sane and safe.

Ouch that is a huge disappointment for you. I’m so sorry it had to be rescheduled but here’s hoping it is just as magical later on.

Today was going to the first day of our first WDW trip—it’s the week of my older son’s 7th birthday and everything was perfectly planned. Staying at Poly and had some fun ADRs and add ons like pirate & pals. I was *so* excited to surprise them with the trip the day before and for the first time ever, had purchased all stuff we’d need in advance. I know others are going through much more serious things but I am so sad. I rescheduled for first week of September but I’m not excited about it and doubtful that trip will happen too—even if WDW is open by then, I doubt it will be the full WDW experience and not sure I want to spend all that money to be worried the whole time, not have daily fireworks, etc.
I otherwise don’t know when we’ll be able to go again assuming September trip doesn’t work out—limited to school breaks and definitely not having my kids miss school for a 2021 trip. Maybe end of summer 2021? Seems so far away and hot and my kids will be 8.5 and 6.
I guess I don’t have a point but I just wanted to share my sadness! Hope everyone is staying sane and safe.
Try not to be sad. Any experience you and your family get to have in the future at Walt Disney World will be special and magical. I hope your son has a super 8th trip around the sun. Maybe you could let the kids in on the surprise. Let them know you are planning a trip and have them help with the planning. They could read about the resorts, check videos, look at some of the menus, and recipes and try to cook up something yummy, build models/draw pictures of the rides they want to try. They could read about weather in Florida at different times of the year to help with that decision too. If you have any Disneyish types of costumes(check your closets and try a diy costume) have a 3pm parade. There are a ton of Disney fireworks shows online. You could have them watch the shows and make microwave s'mores. I know none of this will heal your heart completely, but it might help. Stay Safe, Stay Strong, Stay Home.

I hear ya. April 20th was supposed to be our first day and the beginning of our 10 month old’s first trip. Obviously he doesn’t care or even know there was a trip planned but we were so looking forward to this trip. He was a long time coming and there were so many trips where we said “this will be our last without kids!” which didn’t end up being true - I was looking forward to sharing my happy place with my son. And as for rescheduling, I had heard 10 months was the perfect age and the more in the toddler zone he gets he won’t be as predictable. I have backup trips scheduled for June and August but if neither of those work I don’t know when we’ll be back... when he’s 3 or 4?

Yes there are bigger things going on but I think it’s ok to be sad too! I think trying to recreate it at home would make me more sad.

Totally understandable. We had our first family trip booked for our Daughter's 5th birthday (it was a surprise trip) for October.

American Airlines has cancelled our flights (early October) and all flights to and from Auckland (New Zealand) till the 25th October.

I am thankful it was a surprise so she doesn't know what she is missing. We are now looking at October 2021 (it seems so far away).

I think it is a good idea to wait, as you want to experience the whole Disney magic and fireworks.

I hear ya. April 20th was supposed to be our first day and the beginning of our 10 month old’s first trip. Obviously he doesn’t care or even know there was a trip planned but we were so looking forward to this trip. He was a long time coming and there were so many trips where we said “this will be our last without kids!” which didn’t end up being true - I was looking forward to sharing my happy place with my son. And as for rescheduling, I had heard 10 months was the perfect age and the more in the toddler zone he gets he won’t be as predictable. I have backup trips scheduled for June and August but if neither of those work I don’t know when we’ll be back... when he’s 3 or 4?

Yes there are bigger things going on but I think it’s ok to be sad too! I think trying to recreate it at home would make me more sad.
I have been on 3 trips with grandsons ages 16 months to 2 years of age and all were great trips. all 3 boys stroller napped. 2 of the boys rode everything they could ride the third not so much but that is just him. based on what I have seen with them I wouldn't wait until 3 or 4 unless you want to wait that long not his age

If you have to wait until 2021 (our next trip) do what I do. Look at the school schedule and book your trip for the last couple of weeks of school. Crowds will be lower the last couple of weeks in May and realistically most schools are not doing very much then. The youngest ones school in my area have actually told me its OK during that time most schools are in shutdown mode.

If you have to wait until 2021 (our next trip) do what I do. Look at the school schedule and book your trip for the last couple of weeks of school. Crowds will be lower the last couple of weeks in May and realistically most schools are not doing very much then. The youngest ones school in my area have actually told me its OK during that time most schools are in shutdown mode.
NYC’s schools end in late June or I would consider that! I think it would likely be the first week of September despite the heat because they start late too. Sigh...

I am so very sorry 💔. A lot goes into planning such a special trip like you have. No one knows for sure about when WDW will be fully operational, and I definitely agree that $ amount for what you may get until it is fully up and going is hard to spend! Personally I would ' plan' for September, but perhaps have a back up plan too. If in August the September plan isn't feeling right, cancel and go with the alternate plan. I KNOW you don't want to take kids out of school for 2021, but maybe you could plan an alternative trip onto say president's day or sometime when they will have an extra day off then take them out for just a few days added to that. September here is quite hot/ sticky/ humid and while I know you would still have a great time, I don't know if the weather will be what you are wanting. Your kids will love the Polynesian pool though, and most likely would want to spend tons of time midday in it☺️. Whenever you decide to go, I hope it's a magical first trip for your little ones. Stay safe and healthy

We have a trip planned for September that looks unlikely. I'm still leaving it scheduled and will make a decision once we get closer to the date, but I refuse to pay all that money for a modified experience. If we have to cancel we'll just reschedule to next year.

NYC’s schools end in late June or I would consider that! I think it would likely be the first week of September despite the heat because they start late too. Sigh...

Honestly, as someone who has lived in NYC, I don't find Florida in the summer to be that much worse. I've gone to Florida in both July and August. It could be that I never had AC in my home until I was 30ish but the stickiness of NYC and the stickiness of Florida are somewhat the same.

I just wanted to chime in and say, I took my oldest 2 on their first Disney trip when they were a little over 2 and then 2 1/2. It was PERFECT!! They weren't old enough to realize that the rides they were too little for even existed. But they were so much fun because they were walking and talking and could really get into the whole atmosphere. I am beyond heartbroken that my 3rd is now a few months older than 2 and we won't be able to take her anytime soon :( Plus... remember, they are free until 3 so definitely take him before then to take advantage of that!

I am sorry, that totally stinks to have such a fun surprise planned and then not be able to do it. 😢

I understand how disappointed you are especially since it was a surprise for your son's 7 th birthday. I know when children are involved how hard it is . I'm a grandma with 5 . I pray that you will be able to have a wonderful trip in the future and one you can plan and look forward to.

I am so sorry: :( I was supposed to leave for Norway this week and it is sad seeing it on the calendar.

I am confident WDW will be open in September and I think many shows will be up, Shanghai has been able to keep many things the same and I think our trips will be similar. I hope September happens for you and you can still celebrate his birthday because it is within the 6 months.
The hardest part I imagine is you not getting to surprise them but that surprise will still be so much fun in September!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!