Warning about Lowe's and appliances!!!

Little Tikes drops off at the curb when you order from them and it is shipped via freight. In fact Step2 is the same way. I had to drag a whole swingset down the backyard and the following year a HUGE climber! The step2 delivery guy was really nice, but he was just some guy hired to drop it off. He asked if I had anyone that could help me and I said my husband would be home later. He probably would have helped if I said no. I don't know if it says it or not but either way it was the only place I could have gotten it!

some have had very good experience like me with lowes and some have had bad ones. You need to check with the store and really find out what they will really do. I used to work with sears service department and for all of you sears fans out there,I would not trust them .The stories that I can tell! :)

Gillian said:
....It's a good think I like to read the directions, or I might not have noticed that they didn't do it right.......

BTW, it also dug a hole in our brand new floor, which the delivery company paid to have replaced.

It is kind of scary to think about how many others are out there improperly installed. That is why so many areas require a licensed plumber, because you can't depend on a retailer to send someone properly trained, and so many individuals don't "read the directions" and realize if something is done wrong. I have always had a gas dryer and would never assume that a company's nominal delivery fee would include disconnection and removal of the old unit and full installation of the new one. I honestly don't know if it is legally required in my area, or just common knowledge and procedure that if you have a gas appliance delivered you have a professional to install it, unlike the basic plugging in of a refrigerator or other electric appliance.

Glad it wasn't worse for you, and that the delivery people did the right thing on the damage that did occur.

Tinkmom said:
I have always had a gas dryer and would never assume that a company's nominal delivery fee would include disconnection and removal of the old unit and full installation of the new one.
And that''s why Home Depot's system is so much better than Lowe's (at least around here). HD offers professional installation for an added fee, which I would have been more than happy to pay, but Lowe's didn't even offer it.

We get our appliances from sears scratch and dent so we have to get it ourselves or pay a delievery person. The one timie I dealt with Loew's I had a bad experience.

We had a FABULOUS experience with Lowe's delivery! :sunny:

When we moved here 2 years ago, we bought a washer and dryer from Lowe's. We had the 'New Mover" 10% coupon, a $150 rebate from the manufacturer, and free delivery. We did have to buy the 4-prong outlet separate, I think $15. Alltogether, still cost us about $1600.

2 guys showed up to deliver - NEXT DAY! They unboxed, installed plug, hooked up and even TESTED the w&d before leaving. They were great!

We do not have gas hook-up, so that was not an issue - but I would not hesitate to use them again! :thumbsup2

The reason why electric stoves (and dryers) require the power cord to be purchased seperately, is that they are 220 VAC, and there are various types of outlets in houses (the 3-prong vs 4-prong). This is because of the heating elements inside. The cords can be detached from the appliance with screws.

Refrigerators are 110 VAC (like your toaster or can opener) and use a standard plug, which is hardwired into the back of the appliance.

I have not read this whole thread but....

I just went through this process last week. :crazy: In my reseach I found that the local appliance stores were very competitve with their pricing (ie better than Sears, Lowes, HD and Best Buy) and did not charge a fee for delivery, installation or removal. And their free delivery was in fact free not via rebate.

I'm sticking with the local guys from now on.

To update the saga, a local contractor came out today and did the installation for us. He is very dependable and does quality work. My family has used him before. The job came to $66 and change. We gave him $70. So only $5 more than the original delivery fee.

Now we just have to attack the mountain of dirty clothes that has accumulated, particularly since we brought DD home from camp yesterday.

Glad you've got a working appliance again :) Good luck with that laundry :laundy: :scared:

The only gas appliance that we have replaced was a stove. We bought it at HH Gregg and they delivered and hooked it up, plus took the old one with them. They refurb the older ones and sell them. We looked at Lowe's but we can never get anyone to help us there. And no HD near us.

Sears will not get business from me ever again. Our fridge, that was less then a year old, quit cooling. I called Sears' 800 number to set up a service call. This was on a Monday afternoon, and the CSR had the nerve to tell me the earliest they could get to me was Friday! I explained that this was my only fridge and I have a home daycare so this was an emergency. They explained that they were overbooked and no one could get to me quicker. I asked if it could be sub-contracted out and they said no, my warranty would be null and void. So I had to borrow an extra fridge for that time. I was not a happy camper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter