Warning: 180+10 Venting

OrangeJax

Mouseketeer
You were warned... sorry this is long...

So, my mom and dad are planning their first "adults only" trip since they first got married over 30 years ago. When my mom called to book their trip a few weeks ago, she specifically asked when she could make her dining reservations. (I was there... I heard it.) She was told October 31. They are going for 10 days, and the CM on the phone said that they could make their ADRs 180+10 days, or 190 days, out.

Now, when my mom said this back to me, I thought for sure she was misquoting the CM, and that it was 180 days, +10 to get through their reservation.

Well, when my mom called to make ADRs today, the day the CM TOLD HER to call, she was told she called 10 days early. She was told that "many people have that misconception that it means 190 days, but it's actually 180 days from your first day of your reservation" (which is what I understood.) My mom was disappointed, and told the CM (without a hint of anger) that she was SPECIFICALLY given that date by a Disney representative.

Now, my mom is going to call back in 10 days - she doesn't mind... but shouldn't the CMs KNOW what their own policy is? And then, be able to inform their clients accordingly?!?!

Thanks for letting me vent!:headache:

That is sad, I feel sorry for you mom. I get so excited to call and that would be the worst let down.

I actually changed my vacation next year so I can do ADR's on my birthday...

CM should know that. 180 days from when you arrive and you can book all ADRs for up to 10 days.

The 180 + 10 thing is a little deceiving.

Tell mom to have a tentative schedule layed out and book all desired ADRs that morning at 6am online at 180 days.

Quite a few cast members do not know what they are talking about. Sad, but it's no surprise to me. Just in the last few days there was a thread where someone was told to book a regular restaurant reservation and convert it to a Candlelight Processional package (not possible) and there's always threads on the Resorts boards with misinformation from reservations agents.

They will also say you can use multiple park ticket days to hop (not true) and various other wrong items.

So you're not really complaining about 180+10 at all, but about misinformed cast members.

Q
So you're not really complaining about 180+10 at all, but about misinformed cast members.

True! Thanks for letting me "vent" -- I just felt bad for my mom. I remember how excited I was to call for my ADRs for my April 2010 trip. ((I may or may not have taken a day off of work for that... but I won't tell!)) What a let down it was for her.

Like I said, she wasn't mad - just disappointed, and frustrated. I think I was more upset by it than she was!

Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone in this frustration!

I don't see how it's confusing at all.

If it was ever 190 days out, why wouldn't Disney, CMs, all guests, everyone just say 190 days? Why would it ever be 180+10 -- for those only going for 10 days? No. It has always been obvious that it's 180 days out plus the length of your stay up to and including 10 days. Even if a CM gave out bad info, this is simple common sense.

If it was ever 190 days out, why wouldn't Disney, CMs, all guests, everyone just say 190 days? Why would it ever be 180+10 -- for those only going for 10 days? No. It has always been obvious that it's 180 days out plus the length of your stay up to and including 10 days. Even if a CM gave out bad info, this is simple common sense.

It is confusing when it is your first time making ADRs & your first time at disney. Yes, I had to ask the cm last Nov about that 180+ 10. I asked does it really means 190 days. The the cm explained to me. It is confusing when its someone first time.

why bother calling...she could make all her reservations on line without having to deal with misinformed CMs.:thumbsup2

It is hugely confusing to people who haven't done it before, or recently - which is why there are probably 5 posts a week asking to have it explained. And why some cast members don't get it.

It is far from common sense - when they say 180+10, many people mistakenly assume that means they get an extra 10 day booking advantage over non-resort guests (which you might if you're staying 10 days) and they immediately assume that means 10 days before other guests can book, = 190 days out. So it's great that you get it, but tons of people don't.

It is hugely confusing to people who haven't done it before, or recently - which is why there are probably 5 posts a week asking to have it explained. And why some cast members don't get it.

It is far from common sense - when they say 180+10, many people mistakenly assume that means they get an extra 10 day booking advantage over non-resort guests (which you might if you're staying 10 days) and they immediately assume that means 10 days before other guests can book, = 190 days out. So it's great that you get it, but tons of people don't.

Thank You!:thumbsup2

Thanks for all of the support... for my mom. ;o)

The thing that I just find most confusing is that the CM told my mom the date to call. It's not like she counted herself. She had the fore-thought to ask when she could call.

Anyway - she's 9 days away from being allowed to call now.

And as to why she didn't just make ressies online - she had some specific requests due to medical issues that both she and my father face. Otherwise, she totally would have.

Thank You!

No, if it was 190 days out then Disney would say 190 days. They don't say 190 days, they say 180+10 -- there is a difference. The only people who believe it's 190 days out are not listening, reading or paying full attention to the details or the literature. It doesn't bother me either way; I know how it works. But Disney isn't at fault for this. It's explained perfectly well on their website. All you have to do is be able to read.

No, if it was 190 days out then Disney would say 190 days. They don't say 190 days, they say 180+10 -- there is a difference. The only people who believe it's 190 days out are not listening, reading or paying full attention to the details or the literature. It doesn't bother me either way; I know how it works. But Disney isn't at fault for this. It's explained perfectly well on their website. All you have to do is be able to read.

If it was so easy to understand, then the CM would have given them the correct date to call in.

X2

Thanks!

<!-- Listen Mom :) -- >

It can be confusing to people if they visit sites like these:

magicalkingdoms-dot-com/wdw/dining/cmcindgf.html
magicalkingdoms-dot-com/blog/2010/05/14/how-to-make-online-dining-reservations-for-disney-world/

(substitute .com for -dot-com in case it's not "obvious")

It was to me at first. But when i looked into it further I realized is was 180. that's why people are here - to ask questions. Not to be told that the answer is "It has always been obvious..."

<!-- Listen Mom :) -- >

It can be confusing to people if they visit sites like these:

magicalkingdoms-dot-com/wdw/dining/cmcindgf.html
magicalkingdoms-dot-com/blog/2010/05/14/how-to-make-online-dining-reservations-for-disney-world/

(substitute .com for -dot-com in case it's not "obvious")

It was to me at first. But when i looked into it further I realized is was 180. that's why people are here - to ask questions. Not to be told that the answer is "It has always been obvious..."

That proves my point. You provided links to websites that are neither Disney owned nor operated. If they failed to explain the policy properly, that's their fault and yours for putting your faith and trust in the wrong sources. :confused3

That proves my point. You provided links to websites that are neither Disney owned nor operated. If they failed to explain the policy properly, that's their fault and yours for putting your faith and trust in the wrong sources. :confused3

Can you not let this go? :stir:

This is not the first time and will not be the last time that the dining line has given a guest incorrect information. Please don't start an argument here about it. It's been obvious on the boards that a lot of guests are confused or mistaken about 180 + 10 even if they don't get the wrong information from the dining line.

Getting a poorly trained CM is nothing new or rare. Indeed, if that's the only mistake, you shoudl almost consider yourself lucky. My most recent experience was FULL of MAJOR mistakes every step of the way:misquoted prices, wrong room category, names wrong, wrong email, and more.

About the only thing you can do is control your reaction to it. I'm not sure why calling back in ten days is such a big deal, especially since everyone has to wait the same ten days. Once you've verified THAT, then you're good.

(If it was the reverse situation, and you lost out on places you want to dine, that would be something to get upset about.)

Take this as a lesson learned, perhaps. Don't count on CMs to have to correct info.

That's part of why the DIS is SO great and SO useful.

If something sounds fishy when a CM says it - particularly the phone CM's - question it. (Not saying you had cause in this situation, but in the future) By the way, the onsite CM's are USUALLY MUCH more well informed.

Phone CM's are telephone operators, they are not at WDW, may have never been to WDW (But likely they DO like WDW), are likely getting paid low wages, and perhaps have not been onthe job all that long. Booking a trip to WDW is pretty complicated.

Just at the Contemporary alone - you have: Tower rooms, Bay Lake view Tower rooms, theme park view tower rooms - and right next door you have Bay Lake Tower - which is a completely different resort. Why they named it that I can't understand (At least if they decided it had to be that, they could have renamed the CR room categories.)

Also, at Many resorts the starter view is called "standard", but at some the starter room view is called "garden view." But then there are club level rooms, and the starter club level is called "standard club level," even though they have a 'garden' view. Still beyond that is 'deluxe rooms' which are another thing enitirely.

Not saying they shouldn't be able to do their job, but I can cut them a tiny bit of slack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter