Walt Disney buys Marvel

Amazing really, how will this work?

If you think about it, Universal will be handing over part of their profits to Disney from the closure of the deal. Or the rides may have to be renamed as will the Marvel area of IOA. Like mentioned, it all depends how long Universal have the rights to the use of characters for.

I wonder if Universal will stop selling the Marvel merchandise knowing that Disney will be making a cut of everything - probably not but I bet they're having a few interesting conversations over there.

This is just so weird. I wouldn't imagine Universal would just sell its rights to the IOA Marvel Comics section. They must have built in a lifetime ownership to that. Even then, that means that Disney and Universal are intertwined in some way. That's just too wrong to me!! I love them both because of the differences between them.

its all over the news over here at the moment, deal has gone through and universal have released a statement to say they will continue to use the marvel things until the terms end.

The news channels say it will be months before anyone knows what will happen etc to the places at IOA

I can't wait to see the new Fantasmic show.

At the point where Mickey is struggling to cope with all that the Disney Bad Guys are throwing at him, down swoops Spiderman and Wolverine to save the day.
Maleficent all tangled up in Spideys web. Jafar at the mercy of Wolverines claws. Oh the possibilites :lmao:

I'm absolutely amazed at this deal! The ramifications for Universal and their theme parks are huge, whilst part of me is excited to see what the Disney attention to detail could do to a Marvel themed part of WDW; the other part of me is disappointed that so much will be taken away from Universal. Both parks are an essential part of my Florida holidays, but Universal has lost so much as a result of this deal.

I'm absolutely amazed at this deal! The ramifications for Universal and their theme parks are huge, whilst part of me is excited to see what the Disney attention to detail could do to a Marvel themed part of WDW; the other part of me is disappointed that so much will be taken away from Universal. Both parks are an essential part of my Florida holidays, but Universal has lost so much as a result of this deal.
Absolutely - we said exactly the same thing last night when we read the news. We prefer Universal to Disney hangs her head in shame now;) because of these differences. I just hope the wonderful corner of IoA that is Marvel doesn't become part of the Harry Potter - I can see the names of the rides now!!

I think it's a sad day, personally:sad2:

There's an interesting article about this in the Orlando Sentinel, of particular note is this paragraph:

Universal's long-standing agreement with Marvel gives it exclusive U.S. rights east of the Mississippi River to certain characters for use in theme-park attractions. And the agreement stands for as long as Universal continues to operate the Marvel Super Hero Island area, which features rides such as The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk Coaster and Doctor Doom's Fearfall.

So whilst you might see the introduction of Marvel characters to Disneyland and the overseas parks, there probably won't be much of a difference short term in Orlando.

I really can't imagine Disney introducing Mavel characters into many of the parks, maybe Hollywood Studios, and even then it will only be the odd attraction/ride like Star Tours. I believe the main point of buying Marvel is for the potential revenue from the films and merchandise.

I really can't imagine Disney introducing Mavel characters into many of the parks, maybe Hollywood Studios, and even then it will only be the odd attraction/ride like Star Tours. I believe the main point of buying Marvel is for the potential revenue from the films and merchandise.

Agree and disagree on this, totally agree regarding the films, though a lot of the main characters are tied to existing deals so any Disney involvement will only kick in once they've ran their course, so the benefits there are longer term.

A quick win for Disney however, would be the introduction of Marvel superheroes into their theme parks, there are no issues in relation to the West Coast as Universal's deal doesn't stretch as far, but surely having Marvel characters would appeal to a dermographic that perhaps Disney loses out to Universal? I'm thinking of the mid to older teens? :confused3

I also think that Universal are on a loser long term keeping hold of rides like Spider-Man and the Hulk, as we now know there will be no development of that area of Universal and therefore the area will surely just stagnate? :confused3

I would have thought that Disney's purchase of Marvel would prevent Universal from further developing the Marvel theme? Now that Disney owns Marvel, surely Universal would not be able to expand its Marvel-based attractions? I am sure that Disney will feel the pinch when Harry Potter opens and this is perhaps partly a strategy to limit any further expansion of Universal.

:eek: this is a sad day !!!!!! , disney will never carry out such a fantastic ride like spiderman , :headache:

Yep, was surprised to hear this.

My first thoughts were also of the parks.

Having recently been to Disneyland Paris, I wonder if this will enable to let them grow the Studios park as I felt there wasn't too much here and there is no conflicts unlike Orlando.

FD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter