Walmart Return Policy. Ugh!

Ali said:
I'm a really unhappy Target shopper because of their return policy. On Friday my son used a gift card from Christmas to buy a Nintendo 3ds game for 39.99. He wanted another game but it wasn't in stock in the store so the employee told me to go to Target.com. So I did on Saturday. Target.com had the game DS bought for $20 on clearance. So I went back to Target on Saturday and asked them to price match.

target doesn't price match target.com clearance. Bad policy.

So I called and spoke to customer service, sent an email and sent a letter to target to complain about this stupid policy. I also am not shopping there until I get some return email or phone call. I shop there many times a week and have all of my prescriptions there. I will move them if I don't get a response.

They also won't accept returned items that you order from their website. My sister bought my parents season 1 of the tv show Heros a few years back. They never watched the show when it was on tv. They took it back to target thinking they could return it for store credit. No dice. Target wouldn't take it back because the bar code of stuff sold online is different than items sold in stores so the store scanners do not recognize it as being a Target sold.item.

just another in a long line of reasons not to do business with the evil empire.

Amen!! I spent $75 at Wal Mart this holiday season. It would have been $0 but I was given $75 in gift cards. We have few places to shop locally but I avoid Wal Mart at all costs. I shop Target or online.

I buy so little there that it's been years since I needed to return anything. My main problem is with the way they treat their employees.

They also won't accept returned items that you order from their website. My sister bought my parents season 1 of the tv show Heros a few years back. They never watched the show when it was on tv. They took it back to target thinking they could return it for store credit. No dice. Target wouldn't take it back because the bar code of stuff sold online is different than items sold in stores so the store scanners do not recognize it as being a Target sold.item.

They must have had an ill-informed empoyee. I've returned target.com purchases to the store with no problems.

all about returning Target.com purchases
Shopping and returning is easy with Target.com. Most online purchases can be returned to a Target store. If that’s more convenient for you, come on in. We like to see you in person, too.

http://www.target.com/HelpContent?h.../returns_and_refunds.html&lnk=gfot_t_spc_1_22

B&M stores have much different overhead, and offer a completely different shopping experience, then online stores.

It doesn't make any sense for a B&M store to offer a guarantee price match policy. Consider matching a price if it makes sense.

Amen!! I spent $75 at Wal Mart this holiday season. It would have been $0 but I was given $75 in gift cards. We have few places to shop locally but I avoid Wal Mart at all costs. I shop Target or online.

I buy so little there that it's been years since I needed to return anything. My main problem is with the way they treat their employees.

My son works there, what are you saying about Walmart?

Thank you - my husband has worked there for 15 years and hasn't been treated badly at all. I know there are a few bad apples in every basket but please don't paint Wal-Mart as the 'evil empire' because it's not - at least not in our experience. Dh has worked in 6 different stores under a lot of different store managers - some are good; some not so much but Wal-Mart has great policies in place so their employees can complain (safely and up the chain of command) and get action if necessary

This same thing happened at my local Walmart although their policy states they will take back online purchases at local stores. I was sent the wrong size from an online purchase and the local store refused to take it for exchange or return because the sku numbers didn't match. Supervisor said the same thing. I called the 800 number who credited my visa and urged me to call the store manager because he needs to show them how to do the return. I did that and the manager doubted it ever happened because he claims they know how to put it through with a matching SKU or not.

If your DS is happy there then no problem. Does he get full time hours? Does he receive benefits? Does he have health insurance?

My DS worked there several years ago. They kept almost all employees part time so that they didn't have to offer benefits. He now works for HEB, a regional grocery store chain, who gives full time hours and offers awesome insurance to even part time employees. Wal Mart makes a mint on the backs of some of the lowest paid employees around. I refuse to contribute.

I'm a really unhappy Target shopper because of their return policy. On Friday my son used a gift card from Christmas to buy a Nintendo 3ds game for 39.99. He wanted another game but it wasn't in stock in the store so the employee told me to go to Target.com. So I did on Saturday. Target.com had the game DS bought for $20 on clearance. So I went back to Target on Saturday and asked them to price match.

So I called and spoke to customer service, sent an email and sent a letter to target to complain about this stupid policy. I also am not shopping there until I get some return email or phone call. I shop there many times a week and have all of my prescriptions there. I will move them if I don't get a response.

Target does actually now price match target.com - they changed their policy prior to the holidays so I don't know if it is a temporary thing or if they'll continue on with it. The associates at customer service now have iPads that they use to pull up the item at target.com to confirm the lower price. Just an FYI for the future.

See the 'Price Match Guarantee' section...
https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4070

ETA: I can also confirm that I have had my Target match a target.com price, I just went to CS, they pulled it up on their iPad and matched the price with no problem.

Target does actually now price match target.com - they changed their policy prior to the holidays so I don't know if it is a temporary thing or if they'll continue on with it. The associates at customer service now have iPads that they use to pull up the item at target.com to confirm the lower price. Just an FYI for the future.

https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4070

ETA: I can also confirm that I have had my Target match a target.com price, I just went to CS, they pulled it up on their iPad and matched the price with no problem.

Target still doesn't price match clearance prices. And that's sensible, good policy. Some people are just too whiny.

Target still doesn't price match clearance prices. And that's sensible, good policy. Some people are just too whiny.

I think Target =Target = Target = Target so why wouldn't they offer the same price online they offer in store? And Why wouldn't they offer the same price in store as online?

Some people are just too ...

Your parents either had an employee who didn't know company policy or they didn't have the packing slip that came with the DVD.

Target regularly accepts online merchandise returns at their stores. However, you really need to have the packing slip so they can process the return.

I think Target =Target = Target = Target so why wouldn't they offer the same price online they offer in store? And Why wouldn't they offer the same price in store as online?

Some people are just too ...

I guess you just totally missed the part where Target doesn't price match clearance. Or maybe I should have written that twice?

Further, clearance prices are calculated store-by-store based on an algorithm that matches local demand for each SKU to quantities on hand. So no, Target does not equal Target.

Kathi OD said:
Your parents either had an employee who didn't know company policy or they didn't have the packing slip that came with the DVD.

Target regularly accepts online merchandise returns at their stores. However, you really need to have the packing slip so they can process the return.

Maybe they do now...but 5 years ago they didn't.

My parents didn't have the packing slip with them. But were still told even with the slip target wouldn't take the DVD.

My parents didn't have the packing slip with them. But were still told even with the slip target wouldn't take the DVD.

Still something wrong. I've been returning things I've purchased online from Target to their stores for over 7 years. I only know how long it's been because we've lived here 7 years (today) and I was doing it when we lived in our old house.

If your DS is happy there then no problem. Does he get full time hours? Does he receive benefits? Does he have health insurance?

My DS worked there several years ago. They kept almost all employees part time so that they didn't have to offer benefits. He now works for HEB, a regional grocery store chain, who gives full time hours and offers awesome insurance to even part time employees. Wal Mart makes a mint on the backs of some of the lowest paid employees around. I refuse to contribute.

The average HEB hourly employee earns $21,000 per year, or $10.09 per hour. This is a company with locations in Texas and Mexico, not exactly two places known for high wages. My son is a full-time student getting lots of hours, a schedule that works around his school schedule, and the store provides discounts(just like HEB), snacks in the break room, discounted vending, etc. My son is earning more per hour than what HEB's hourly "partners"(HEB speak for employees) average and is treated with respect by his managers! Tired of seeing Walmart called the "evil empire." Want to see low wages and horrible benefits, take a look at The Walt Disney Corporation!

Just to back you up, same thing happened to me when I bought a gift for my mom. A season of 24. Target would NOT take back the target.com purchase. I was SO mad at the time..still does make me angry. I believe they've changed their policy since then. This was about 5ish years back. Still, it happened to me in Ohio and Arizona.

Target doesn't price match anyone's clearance price. That is not a bad policy nor is it part of their price match. Target stores' clearance vary by district and even stores. A toy on clearance at our Target may not be on clearance at a Target in the next bigger city because they are different districts.

This is NOT true. Some items they cannot return from the website and it states on the website that it can only be returned online. There are many items that can be returned in the store. You can check before ever purchasing it if it can be returned to the store or online only.

The difference is that she is wanting a Clearance price matched and that they won't do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter