Walmart Return Policy. Ugh!

So Targets policy is that you can do two returns a year without a receipt?? Is this new? I actually thought you couldnt do any returns at Target without a receipt.

The Target we shop at here in NJ allows two returns per year without a receipt. They use your driver's license to keep track of how many you have for the year.

Most stores do this to combat shoplifters who steal an item and then try to return it for cash or a gift card. Either of which are then used to buy or trade for drugs. Its a PIA for the honest consumer, but it probably helps to keep prices lower by cutting down on theft.

The Target we shop at here in NJ allows two returns per year without a receipt. They use your driver's license to keep track of how many you have for the year.

Most stores do this to combat shoplifters who steal an item and then try to return it for cash or a gift card. Either of which are then used to buy or trade for drugs. Its a PIA for the honest consumer, but it probably helps to keep prices lower by cutting down on theft.

I don't blame them at all. I wish they didn't have to do it, but I understand why they do. Another reason is people like a lady I once knew. She would not use a receipt because then they would know when she actually bought her items and could track what she was doing. She didn't shoplift, but for items like vacuum cleaners and other higher ticket household items, she wanted a new one every year so she would return one and get the newer version every time. She actually was proud of herself (and recommended I do the same) for coming up with the idea of only buying one and upgrading every year. :sad2:

I actually kind of like Walmart. It's the crazy busy rudeness that I hate (the customers). Our managers must be working with the employees. They have been much more helpful and friendly in the last few months. They actually now ask if they can help find something. We finally got a Target. I don't think the workers here are any friendlier than at Walmart, but the customers are not as rude and I can usually get in and out faster even though it's in a mall. Unfortunately, they don't have as many items so I can't cut WM out completely.

I did not purchase one item at WalMart this Christmas! Our close one closed for remodeling when a new Super WM opened across town and I truly hate it! Same crabby unhelpful employees and a super slippery hard to walk on polished concrete floor! I don't care if I ever go back there

I hate WalMart for a variety of reasons, but the "super slippery, hard-to-walk-on, polished concrete floor" is absolutely not customer friendly. Whoever came up with that idea was not thinking about the elderly, who happen to be a big percentage of the shoppers at our closest Super WalMart.

The Iron Giant said:

Another reason is that they get people returning items they stole from cvs and others. Also if they rob a house they take any unopened packages. If it has the same barcode they can get money for it. Walmart and target have different barcodes for like items.

I was at a SAMs club one morning and a guy had hosted a family reunion that weekend. He was returning 4 kurigs, boxes of dishes, and half full packages of food. He got all of his money back, even for the food they ate!! I asked the customer service gal and she said it happens all the time! They overbuy the food and eat part of it. Then bring back what is left and claim it was rotten or something. With meat they get 200% back so they make money! And to think I feel guilty for returning an item I did not see a flaw in when I purchased it.

OP it was Christmas gift, that you got 2 of for Christmas you want to return one because you don't need two. No you did't get any receipts. they just told you where they bought it, walmart.

I went to our local Sam's Club to return a pair of footie pj's that DD decided she didn't want. I had a gift receipt and knew that I had paid cash (19.--) for about three weeks prior. The associate scanned the receipt and then told me that I would be receiving $12.-- back on a Sam's gift card. I questioned the amount, knowing that I had paid more and that the receipt should reflect that higher price. She checked my original receipt and sure enough, I had paid the higher amount but the gift receipt was only giving credit for the current sales price. She apologized, called a manager over and provided me with the correct return amount. Turns out, the associate said this had been happening all day...:confused3

I returned an electric heater that I purchased at Target a few weeks ago - with a receipt. My original payment method was my debit card, and when I purchased it, I had the "$10 free target gift card with a $50 purchase" coupon. My total purchase was slightly over $60, but the heater was $49.99. When I returned it, I was not asked for any ID (driver's license) and I offered to give back my "free gift card" as once I made the return my total purchase would no longer have equaled over $50 once I made the return. I was told to keep the gift card, was given my money back as cash, and told to have a good day. Yea Target !!!:thumbsup2

Another reason is that they get people returning items they stole from cvs and others. Also if they rob a house they take any unopened packages. If it has the same barcode they can get money for it. Walmart and target have different barcodes for like items.

I was at a SAMs club one morning and a guy had hosted a family reunion that weekend. He was returning 4 kurigs, boxes of dishes, and half full packages of food. He got all of his money back, even for the food they ate!! I asked the customer service gal and she said it happens all the time! They overbuy the food and eat part of it. Then bring back what is left and claim it was rotten or something. With meat they get 200% back so they make money! And to think I feel guilty for returning an item I did not see a flaw in when I purchased it.

They would not accept all the things you mentioned at any of the Sams in this area without receipts. I tried returning a hall runner (misplaced receipt) and none of them would accept it. I can understand 1 food item ( that may or may not have been bad) a whole trunk load of items - no way. They're not that lenient.

I returned an electric heater that I purchased at Target a few weeks ago - with a receipt. My original payment method was my debit card, and when I purchased it, I had the "$10 free target gift card with a $50 purchase" coupon. My total purchase was slightly over $60, but the heater was $49.99. When I returned it, I was not asked for any ID (driver's license) and I offered to give back my "free gift card" as once I made the return my total purchase would no longer have equaled over $50 once I made the return. I was told to keep the gift card, was given my money back as cash, and told to have a good day. Yea Target !!!:thumbsup2

You weren't asked for an ID because you had your receipt. When you return with no receipt they do ask for a driver's license that they then scan the back of (at least in my case) to keep track of how many returns you're doing with no receipt. Last I'm aware of, the limit was $75 maximum in a year, with no limit on the number of returns. Luckily I'm crazy about keeping receipts...and if I do lose one thankfully Target can look up your purchase with the credit card you used to pay. The only time I get in trouble is if I've used a gift card that I no longer have (so they cannot look up the purchase) and I've also lost the receipt..

ETA: I don't mind them limiting no-receipt returns at all. While it might be a pain for me at times, those times are very minimal, and it hopefully does hold down theft and fraud for the store. Another thing people will do is use a large coupon or price-match to purchase something and then return it with no receipt to get the full amount back. It is unfortunate that they have to place limits because of things like that, but such is the world that we live in these days.

They limit the no receipt returns like a previous poster mentioned to combat shop lifting. At my store, we do the same thing, but since we aren't as savy, we issue credit by mail, so they can track is company wide. What shoplifters often do, is steal the easy merchandise, often not the correct size or item, many times something that doesn't have a sensor, and then try to bring it back for the right size.

Blame those people, not the store.

Thanks for the link to their holiday return policy. I bought my DD a tablet from there and it's awful. Returning this week.
I did appreciate that link too. Just Xmas for us today and DH bought me an I Pod nano. Don't know if I want it. I wanted the IPod Touch. He bought the thing on Black Friday. I have worn out 2 shuffles and a Nano. They will just credit it back to his card. Nothing gained, nothing lost, I guess.

Regarding a return, I hate "gift receipts". DMIL loves JCP and buys stuff there all the time. I do not want a gift card to JCP. She starts buying in May until Dec. Her heart is in the right place but the bill was paid for in July, they got their cash so I get a gift card or they can credit it back to her card ( which they ask if I have?). I am sitting on so many JCP gift cards and I really try to find something, anything in that store I like. I regift the darn things or I just keep the stuff and give it to GoodWill anymore.
Sometimes it is not worth the hassle but it still aggravates me she spent that money and will never get it back.

I went to our local Sam's Club to return a pair of footie pj's that DD decided she didn't want. I had a gift receipt and knew that I had paid cash (19.--) for about three weeks prior. The associate scanned the receipt and then told me that I would be receiving $12.-- back on a Sam's gift card. I questioned the amount, knowing that I had paid more and that the receipt should reflect that higher price. She checked my original receipt and sure enough, I had paid the higher amount but the gift receipt was only giving credit for the current sales price. She apologized, called a manager over and provided me with the correct return amount. Turns out, the associate said this had been happening all day...:confused3

I'll give you one better.

Toy's R Us used to deliberately give people back the lowest selling price in the last 90 days - either in cash or store credit - to people returning merchandise with a gift receipt. I understood this if someone returned merchandise without a receipt, but if they had a receipt, it should be returned for merchandise credit of the purchase amount.

So if the person receives a gift and returns it to the store because they have received a duplicate gift or whatever, and they say "hey, I can't find anything, can you use this gift receipt and give me store credit for later"?

Be aware that they will not get store credit for what you paid for that item - they will get the lowest selling price in the last 90 days. This is even though they have a receipt! Total rip off and in my mind, not okay! So I give people the actual receipt now - if they have the actual receipt, Toys R Us can not do that. This was their policy at least 1 year ago - I stopped shopping with them after I found out they were doing this. It happened to me when I sent my husband back to the store with a gift receipt because I had it handy - he caught it and I was like no way - come back! The item was worth double what they wanted to refund us in merchandise credit, and I had accidentally purchased two of the item (birthday party fiasco). We found the original receipt so it worked out, but no more TRU for us. This item had only been purchased for a few days, so it was not something that had been held for several weeks. TRU has become my least favorite store - their items are hard to understand the pricing on and their policies, such as the above - are really, really hard to decipher.

Toy's R Us used to deliberately give people back the lowest selling price in the last 90 days - either in cash or store credit - to people returning merchandise with a gift receipt. I understood this if someone returned merchandise without a receipt, but if they had a receipt, it should be returned for merchandise credit of the purchase amount.

So if the person receives a gift and returns it to the store because they have received a duplicate gift or whatever, and they say "hey, I can't find anything, can you use this gift receipt and give me store credit for later"?

Be aware that they will not get store credit for what you paid for that item - they will get the lowest selling price in the last 90 days. This is even though they have a receipt! Total rip off and in my mind, not okay! So I give people the actual receipt now - if they have the actual receipt, Toys R Us can not do that. This was their policy at least 1 year ago - I stopped shopping with them after I found out they were doing this. It happened to me when I sent my husband back to the store with a gift receipt because I had it handy - he caught it and I was like no way - come back! The item was worth double what they wanted to refund us in merchandise credit, and I had accidentally purchased two of the item (birthday party fiasco). We found the original receipt so it worked out, but no more TRU for us. This item had only been purchased for a few days, so it was not something that had been held for several weeks. TRU has become my least favorite store - their items are hard to understand the pricing on and their policies, such as the above - are really, really hard to decipher.

I have heard of some department stores in our area that also only give the lowest price with a gift receipt - fair, no, but they seem to get by with it :confused3

I no longer shop at Toys R Us because of their return policy. I rarely shop at Walmart.

Kohls, REI, Costco.......those are the few on my list I will shop at. I don't return things 95% of the time, but that 5% of the time I need to, I want to be able to do it!

I have heard of some department stores in our area that also only give the lowest price with a gift receipt - fair, no, but they seem to get by with it :confused3

They get away with it because someone returning a gift with a gift receipt usually has no idea how much the gift giver originally paid for the item. Until people begin to call them on it, or stop using gift receipts, the practice will continue.

This is how our Kohls is . Even if you have a gift receipt, you get the lowest price they offered it at. So why even get a gift receipt??????????????

I rarely return things. In fact the last time I did was when I was pregnant with my son. Returned a few items I got double of at my shower or items I simply did not like. I was told by the give the items came from Target (no gift receipt or reg receipt)...when I took them, Target said they weren't purchased there. So I took them yo walmart. Got store credit (less than 20 total) for the items.

As far as shopping at Walmart goes...I avoid it at all costs...though there are a few items I have to buy every now and again that I can only find there. My husband avoids the place like the plague...and calls the true Walmart shoppers Wal-martians. Lol

I personally have had more issues with Target than Walmart. I have to pass 2 Walmarts to get to a Target and than 9 times out of 10 they don't have item in stock or I could have gotten it cheaper at Walmart. AS for Toys R Us I rarely shop there ( no kids, nieces and Nephews Live out of state and no TRU near them) and I've had issues of many forms for years with TRU.

I'm a really unhappy Target shopper because of their return policy. On Friday my son used a gift card from Christmas to buy a Nintendo 3ds game for 39.99. He wanted another game but it wasn't in stock in the store so the employee told me to go to Target.com. So I did on Saturday. Target.com had the game DS bought for $20 on clearance. So I went back to Target on Saturday and asked them to price match.

target doesn't price match target.com clearance. Bad policy.

So I called and spoke to customer service, sent an email and sent a letter to target to complain about this stupid policy. I also am not shopping there until I get some return email or phone call. I shop there many times a week and have all of my prescriptions there. I will move them if I don't get a response.

I'm a really unhappy Target shopper because of their return policy. On Friday my son used a gift card from Christmas to buy a Nintendo 3ds game for 39.99. He wanted another game but it wasn't in stock in the store so the employee told me to go to Target.com. So I did on Saturday. Target.com had the game DS bought for $20 on clearance. So I went back to Target on Saturday and asked them to price match.

target doesn't price match target.com clearance. Bad policy.

So I called and spoke to customer service, sent an email and sent a letter to target to complain about this stupid policy. I also am not shopping there until I get some return email or phone call. I shop there many times a week and have all of my prescriptions there. I will move them if I don't get a response.

Walmart has the same policy and even the employees think it's stupid. They will price match any other store but they will not price match their own online prices. I would not doubt if all stores are the same on this policy at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter