Walking “fix” implemented? Problems booking a high value Villa.

Ah I see what you’re saying, so effectively a program that is modifying, just happens to be exactly at 8am, perhaps every day rather than every 6 for a 7 night stay.
Or a small fraction of people are advancing 5/6/7 days at a time, and they already had the current day, but are dropping the prior day as they add another 5. Even if they aren’t doing it every day, some fraction may be releasing a room each day.

Or a small fraction of people are advancing 5/6/7 days at a time, and they already had the current day, but are dropping the prior day as they add another 5. Even if they aren’t doing it every day, some fraction may be releasing a room each day.
True, but they’re not doing it at exactly 8:00:02. It takes longer than that for a human to modify a reservation.

A simple CAPTCHA would at least make it harder on anyone using automated software no?
Yes and no. The script would pause and wait for the captcha to be handled by a human on login. And then continue, as long as the DVC Site doesn't make you log out and back in between reservations, it would only be a minor inconvenience at best. Having to log-in between each reservation when making multiple reservations for large group trip during a popul;ar season would be a pain for regular members, and thwey could lose a needed reservation disrupting the entire trip.

True, but they’re not doing it at exactly 8:00:02. It takes longer than that for a human to modify a reservation.

The room that releases at 8 am could simply be a reservation that ended and that is why it’s there.

For example, if I had booked a trip with an end date of 4/25/25 it would show booked yesterday, but it would drop off at 8 am this morning since I wouldn’t be extending that room…the system would drop it right away when new booking opened. It would happen every day for all the people who are checking out.

I’ve been watching this lately as well. I’m currently waiting for my new BWV points to be loaded on my contract, and will be booking for an early May trip…. So I need to book in a week or so. But checking the inventory daily, I’ve noticed the exact same thing. The current day is gone but then becomes available immediately at 8am the following day. This has been the case for the last few months and seems baffling. I guess I’ll just have to pick up one day at a time, as the previous day becomes available. Oh how fun…. Considering I need to book 14 nights 🤪

... and it happened again today. 7:58, no 2BR for 4/25. 8:00:02 it's available.

I’ve been watching this lately as well. I’m currently waiting for my new BWV points to be loaded on my contract, and will be booking for an early May trip…. So I need to book in a week or so. But checking the inventory daily, I’ve noticed the exact same thing. The current day is gone but then becomes available immediately at 8am the following day. This has been the case for the last few months and seems baffling. I guess I’ll just have to pick up one day at a time, as the previous day becomes available. Oh how fun…. Considering I need to book 14 nights 🤪

It's a real PITB.

... and it happened again today. 7:58, no 2BR for 4/25. 8:00:02 it's available.

It's a real PITB.

Unfortunately this is going to happen with the hard to get rooms because more people want them then the rooms and so people grab when they can.

Hopefully you end up with what you want!

The room that releases at 8 am could simply be a reservation that ended and that is why it’s there.

For example, if I had booked a trip with an end date of 4/25/25 it would show booked yesterday, but it would drop off at 8 am this morning since I wouldn’t be extending that room…the system would drop it right away when new booking opened. It would happen every day for all the people who are checking out.

Today is 5/26/24.

The behavior I'm seeing is that the 11-month check-in date (today it was 4/26) shows available at 7:59 but when I try to book it at 8:00:00 I get an error message (not that it's not available, but a real error message or the dwarves). In the meantime, yesterday's check-in date (4/25) showed unavailable today at 7:59 but at 8:00:02 it's suddenly available. (FTR, I stopped trying to get the leading date and am just picking up the previous date that was released.)

I don't think the system holds anything open for modification. Either a villa is booked or it's not.

Today is 5/26/24.

The behavior I'm seeing is that the 11-month check-in date (today it was 4/26) shows available at 7:59 but when I try to book it at 8:00:00 I get an error message (not that it's not available, but a real error message or the dwarves). In the meantime, yesterday's check-in date (4/25) showed unavailable today at 7:59 but at 8:00:02 it's suddenly available. (FTR, I stopped trying to get the leading date and am just picking up the previous date that was released.)

I don't think the system holds anything open for modification. Either a villa is booked or it's not.

The system showed it available yesterday because there are people booked in those rooms who are due to check out on 4/26/25, and the booking window is not open until 8:00 am today..so, last night all those reservations ending on with a check out date of 4/26/25 would show the day opens for that room on 4/26/25.

That is why you see what you do....it is showing there will still be rooms that will open up for a 4/26/25 check in date.

At 8:00 am, any rooms that open due to check out, unlock for actual booking. So, you are losing out to those who are doing the same thing as you, trying for the first time to get a room with a check in date for 4/26/2025 and those rooms do indeed go in seconds.

The date of 4/25/25 showing back up when it wasn't there yesterday is what indicates walking going on, but each morning, rooms open for the 11 month windw due to check outs and those are the ones that showed available yesterday when you looked. Tomorrow, the same thing will happen...if 4/26/25 shows back up tomorrow at some point, even shortly after 8 am, it means walking is going on and people have amended there trips.

And, yes, people do indeed move their trips right at 8 am if they are walking.

Here an example that might help.

Let’s pretend there are only 10 rooms and 10 people boooked 7 nights from 4/19 to 4/26. Those 10 rooms would be missing for booking in the inventory and the first date that would show back up in the system for booking 4/26/25.

Prior to 8 am, those rooms will be there and avaible to book but the system is locked until 8 am.

The system showed it available yesterday because there are people booked in those rooms who are due to check out on 4/26/25, and the booking window is not open until 8:00 am today..so, last night all those reservations ending on with a check out date of 4/26/25 would show the day opens for that room on 4/26/25.

That is why you see what you do....it is showing there will still be rooms that will open up for a 4/26/25 check in date.

At 8:00 am, any rooms that open due to check out, show back up. So, you are losing out to those who are doing the same thing as you, trying for the first time to get a room with a check in date for 4/26/2025 and those rooms do indeed go in seconds.
I am an experienced DVC member and experienced walker. In the past, I received a different error message saying that the villa was not available when that happened. Not a "technical difficulty" message or the dwarves.

The date of 4/25/25 showing back up when it wasn't there yesterday is what indicated walking going on, but each morning, rooms open for the 11 month windwo due to check outs, and those are the ones not there the day before. Tomorrow, the same thing will happen...if 4/26/25 shows back up tomorrow at some point, even shortly after 8 am, it means walking is going on and people have amended there trips.

And, yes, people do indeed move their trips right at 8 am if they are walking.
I'm not following what you're saying about check-outs. If someone checked out on 4/25, then their villa would have been available yesterday for check-in. Secondly, 4/25 became available at today 8:00:02 (I had time.gov up for a countdown). There is NO WAY that a human could modify their reservation at 8:00 am and finish 2 seconds later.

Here an example that might help.

Let’s pretend there are only 10 rooms and 10 people boooked 7 nights from 4/19 to 4/26. Those 10 rooms would be missing for booking in the inventory and the first date that would show back up in the system for booking 4/26/25.

Prior to 8 am, those rooms will be there and avaible to book but the system is locked until 8 am.
Yes, I know :). I have been walking reservations for years and years. That doesn't explain why 4/26 will suddenly show up TOMOROW at 8:00 am and not today when it should.

Yes, I know :). I have been walking reservations for years and years. That doesn't explain why 4/26 will suddenly show up TOMOROW at 8:00 am and not today when it should.
I’m following you here… there is something weird going on.

Let’s pretend there is only 1 room available for booking as an example:

Someone has booked the room 4/19 to 4/26.

At 7.59 this morning, the 25th would be blocked and the 26th would be available. The 26th would unlock for booking at 8am.

The only way that 25th could suddenly become available at 8am if is the previous week is modified right at 8am to the new dates 4/26 to 5/3. Why would anyone wait until 8am to do that though as they would risk losing the walk to another person who gets in quicker. So that can’t be what’s happening.

If modified before 8am, the existing booking could only be changed to 4/25 to 5/2 at the latest, so that would leave 25th showing as blocked, not becoming available right at 8am as you describe. So also can’t be what’s happening.

Doesn’t make sense!

Any chance they allow you to see waitlist info?
None whatsoever, because the waitlist isn't a straight line.

If you waitlist 5 days, and I waitlist 2, even if I put in after, if someone cancels a 3-night stay that contains my two and 3 of your 5, I still get it because it requires 100% match.

I am an experienced DVC member and experienced walker. In the past, I received a different error message saying that the villa was not available when that happened. Not a "technical difficulty" message or the dwarves.

I'm not following what you're saying about check-outs. If someone checked out on 4/25, then their villa would have been available yesterday for check-in. Secondly, 4/25 became available at today 8:00:02 (I had time.gov up for a countdown). There is NO WAY that a human could modify their reservation at 8:00 am and finish 2 seconds later.

You don’t have to complete the modification…you just have to hit modify…the system sees the room as open as soon as you do, even though you are technically still holding it.

Meaning, when you hit modify and get thr new calendar, that room is “grabbed again” in the system as open…

In terms of check out, I was referring to the notion you posted that 4/26 was available last night and not this morning when you tried to book at 8:00 am.

Last edited:

Except it did show up today but maybe not for you, for someone else who booked it in those few seconds…they grabbed it…

Tomorrow it will show up because someone is modifying at 8 am and, as I posted above, once you modify, the system sees it as an open room, no longer booked…

Put another way, if I open my reservation, it’s like a brand new one until I click submit….

Last edited:

facebook twitter