Walk from PPH to DTD now we can't take a shortcut in the morning?

momto2

greet each new day as a magical journey.
Last year was our 1st visit to DLR. Stayed at PPH. We LOVED the shortcut through GCH. Could a veteran please estimate how long of a walk will it be in the morning going the "long" way? Also is the route going out the back of PPH and taking a right, going past parking and staying on a path to DLH, then near move theaters we take a right into DTD? Is there any other way? I have tried to look at maps, but they aren't very clear and I can't estimate time or how much more time it will take. Thanks!

Last year was our 1st visit to DLR. Stayed at PPH. We LOVED the shortcut through GCH. Could a veteran please estimate how long of a walk will it be in the morning going the "long" way? Also is the route going out the back of PPH and taking a right, going past parking and staying on a path to DLH, then near move theaters we take a right into DTD? Is there any other way? I have tried to look at maps, but they aren't very clear and I can't estimate time or how much more time it will take. Thanks!
Here's what They had in the room when I was there a few weeks ago.
PPH.jpg

Just back from a quick President's Day weekend trip, stayed at PPH. Was a little nervous without the "shortcut" through GCH, but really it was no big deal. The walk was maybe a couple hundred steps further than staying at DLH. And you can still cut through the grand if you want to from DCA or DTD on your way back to PPH. When we were in DCA, we did cut through the grand, and when we were in DL, we took the monorail and walked out security at ESPN to the back entrance of PPH.

One thing I did question is whether it would be worth a few more steps to walk around ESPN and use the security entrance in the DTD parking lot for EMH. One morning we made it to security 20 minutes prior to EMH and it took 15 minutes just to get through security at DLH/DTD because a lot of people were there at that time. When we walked past ESPN inside DTD we noticed that the parking lot security gate was nearly empty and people were able to walk through immediately. Might see if that's an option next time.

We stayed at PPH 4 weeks ago and we couldn't get into GCH in the morning unless we had a breakfast reservations. They had someone standing at the corner checking names before you could walk up the sidewalk. Had to walk all the way around to the DTD entrance and they didn't allow early entrance so we missed out on about 20 minutes of park time. When we left the parks we were able to cut through GCH back to PPH. Much quicker and since it was raining we were happier.

We stayed at PPH 4 weeks ago and we couldn't get into GCH in the morning unless we had a breakfast reservations. They had someone standing at the corner checking names before you could walk up the sidewalk. Had to walk all the way around to the DTD entrance and they didn't allow early entrance so we missed out on about 20 minutes of park time. When we left the parks we were able to cut through GCH back to PPH. Much quicker and since it was raining we were happier.
Wait, what? Are they not screening guests in time for early entry at that Downtown Disney checkpoint?

Here's what They had in the room when I was there a few weeks ago.
View attachment 221290

Thanks for the image.
This looks like it would be quite a bit longer walk for those staying at an off property resort on Katella who are used to cutting through the Grand. It is interesting to me that there wasn’t a big uproar about this security change like there was about the proposed bridge change. Perhaps because it was all changed on Disney Property and there isn’t much anyone can do about it, plus it happened with little notice.

Wait, what? Are they not screening guests in time for early entry at that Downtown Disney checkpoint?

They were when we went this weekend. On Saturday the 18th, we had 7a EMH, but needed to go to the ticket booth to upgrade our blocked APs and we were able to go through DTD security at 6a with no problems. And no lines :-)

They start screening at 5am, so it may be that it took longer for the poster to get around than they expected.

This past weekend, a lot of people were arguing with the security at the GCH on the corner. I felt bad for security.

They start screening at 5am, so it may be that it took longer for the poster to get around than they expected.

This past weekend, a lot of people were arguing with the security at the GCH on the corner. I felt bad for security.

I would never argue with security. It's not their policy, not their fault at all.

But I'm not shocked that people are arguing. Telling guests they can't walk up the sidewalk or enter the hotel is counterintuitive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter