Wait times on app?

lacy1101

DIS Veteran
For those who have used both, which seems to be most accurate when it comes to wait times, MDE or TP Lines?

TP is probably a bit more accurate because those are the actual wait times people are experiencing. The MDE times are just what Disney is saying. And while those can be accurate too, they also can be inflated intentionally for a variety of reasons.

TP is probably a bit more accurate because those are the actual wait times people are experiencing. The MDE times are just what Disney is saying. And while those can be accurate too, they also can be inflated intentionally for a variety of reasons.

Good to know! I typically use TP Lines and will continue to do so this trip - thanks! :thumbsup2

I usually use TP, but MDE was way better about telling me what rides were closed due to weather last month.

OT, but I have a dumb question as I have never used the TP app.

How does TP gather user wait time data? Does the app provide a timer? Is it up to users to time themselves?

I’ve self-timed waits at various EMM and DAH events just for record keeping and it’s always sort of a pain... I forget to start the clock, stop the clock, I get distracted, etc. Just seems always so difficult to get a totally accurate time unless I make a real effort to stay on top of it.

So how does that work with the TP app? (I know I could go to the TP site and read/ask, just figured I’d ask here).

There seems to be a lot of people using the TP app who take it very seriously. It works just like you say; get in line>start the clock>stop the clock>send it.

When I'm on a solo trip I do it - it's kind of fun. But when I'm with others it's too much effort.

OT, but I have a dumb question as I have never used the TP app.

How does TP gather user wait time data? Does the app provide a timer? Is it up to users to time themselves?

I’ve self-timed waits at various EMM and DAH events just for record keeping and it’s always sort of a pain... I forget to start the clock, stop the clock, I get distracted, etc. Just seems always so difficult to get a totally accurate time unless I make a real effort to stay on top of it.

So how does that work with the TP app? (I know I could go to the TP site and read/ask, just figured I’d ask here).

I don't time waits anymore because the wifi in the parks is so bad. I am pretty sure they pay people to do this for them. I could be wrong, though.

On our last trip TP Lines was accurate almost down to the minute. It was scary accurate. No more than 5 minutes off the entire trip. For example MDE might say 55 minutes, but Lines said 41, and I recall one time it was exactly 41 minutes from entering the standby queue, to being the next person to board the ride.

It seems to have a pretty accurate estimate based on historical information and current crowd levels, but there are folks that submit data real time. I did it for most of the rides last trip, mostly just to see how accurate it was.

What are the two apps we are talking about? I know one is My Disney Experience, which is what I have. What is the other one?

Is MDE app usually off in that the waits are shorter or longer?

The MDE app (and posted wait times at the attraction) often overstate ride wait times. That’s not a guaranteed statement because crowd swells, ride stoppages, etc, can create unusual line ebbs/flows, but assuming things are normal, they are often higher.

Is MDE app usually off in that the waits are shorter or longer?

MDE generally has a decent buffer in the wait time. At least 5 minutes, more often closer to 10. Gives a little buffer for when things go wrong or a large rush of FP+ people show up.

Not only did we find the TP wait times to be really accurate, but the estimated time for a ride to re-open after it had closed was also accurate. I don't know how they gather that data, but it was spot on a couple of times. We rope dropped Frozen one day and it was down. We waited in line with our pastries from the Norway bakery about 20-25 minutes. Several people gave up and left. The TP app said the ride would re-open at 9:29 (or a time close to that) and it re-opened at exactly that time. This happened a couple of other times with closures at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!