Virgin Atlantic question

gilld

<font color=deeppink>Will just have the butler ope
I need to book a flight to Barbados in March and I would like it to be VA for the miles. I only need the flight one way as we shall be cruising home.

Looking on-line, the cost of a one way UC seat is £2,943, whereas the cost of a round trip seat with the outbound seat in UC and the return flight in Economy is is £1,233.

Is there anything to stop me booking the roundtrip and just no showing for the return? Unethical technically but £1,700 is a lot more to pay to be ethical.

What do you think....will they chase us up for the extra fare if we don't show up for the return flight?

That difference in price is just so crazy I'd have to give it a whirl! There must be times when folk don't show up for their return flight - illness or what have you. Actually, I've done it myself - flown to Paris on a v cheap BA return ticket but stayed longer and returned on Eurostar instead...

Strictly speaking if you are booking a round trip with no intention of ever using your return, you are violating the rules of the fare, and you are committing a fraudulent act. The airlines have a right to collect the difference. They have given you a discount fare on the understanding that you will return with them.
I guess it all depends on how strict VA are on this. To be honest I don't think they would do anything - it would probably be too much hassle :)

Doing it the other way round can leave you stranded because if the outward leg of a return ticket is not used then the return leg can be automatically cancelled!

Airlines rely on people not turning up for flights in order to oversell. :confused3

I'd suggest posting your question on the V-Flyer forums.

My DH has done this a few times before with no problem whatsoever.

Sounds like you've got a wonderful trip planned, Gill! :goodvibes

Done this a couple of times on business trips where they have been extended and I've missed the return flight.

We now use non-flexible fares where changes are not permitted to save money and take the hit on the odd occasional fare when we have to rearrange travel.
I don't bother informing the airline as the tickets are fixed and I've never heard a peep from anyone and never gave it a thought to be honest, you've paid for the flight.

as Tim says Gill the airline does have the right to chase you for it, but I have clients that do this all the time and have never been chased for it yet, I'd definately give it a go.

Airlines rely on people not turning up for flights in order to oversell. :confused3

I'd suggest posting your question on the V-Flyer forums.

exactly - and they've probably oversold the flight anyway on the BGI route as they always do .... I totally wouldnt stress about it and enjoy the UC treatment - but beware you'll never want to go back to turning right when entering the plane!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter