VIP Tour: LGBTQ2 (or Friendly) Tour Guide?

Word gets around. Nothing illegal about it. My request was honoured at Universal. I've had tour guides elsewhere that were obvious homophobes (like stating it) and I've had to cancel a tour on the spot. Nothing wrong to ask LGBTQ2 or friendly.
It’s certainly fair to ask but it’s definitely illegal for Disney to give assignments based on sexual preference.

This sounds like a far better approach. Sincerely, I don't think it's legal to choose someone for a specific job assignment BECAUSE of

It’s certainly fair to ask but it’s definitely illegal for Disney to give assignments based on sexual preference.
It's not a preference. I can't believe I have to say this in this thread.

Word gets around. Nothing illegal about it. My request was honoured at Universal. I've had tour guides elsewhere that were obvious homophobes (like stating it) and I've had to cancel a tour on the spot. Nothing wrong to ask LGBTQ2 or friendly.
You had a tour guide at Disney state to you that he/she was a homophobe???

You had a tour guide at Disney state to you that he/she was a homophobe???
Other private tours in other places. In front of myself, my spouse, our kids (one of whom is LGBTQ2) and our children's father (also gay). Big freakout. That is why I ask for LGBTQ2-friendly.

Oh stop. You know what I mean. Don’t do that.

And bisexuals and pansexuals might take issue with your denying them the use of that word.
Don't do what? Use words in a way you are comfortable with but makes other, especially those in the LGBTQ room, uncomfortable?

The OP request was a fair one...."help me secure a $5k+ tour with a guide who isn't discriminative towards me". There's no laws that ban inclusion...which is what the OP is looking for.

Don't do what? Use words in a way you are comfortable with but makes other, especially those in the LGBTQ room, uncomfortable?

The OP request was a fair one...."help me secure a $5k+ tour with a guide who isn't discriminative towards me". There's no laws that ban inclusion...which is what the OP is looking for.
You’re well aware that “preference” is a very common term in relation to someone’s sexuality.

And I don’t recall saying there’s a law against inclusion. Can you show me where I said that?

Are your gay? Preference means different things to people. People who need to be the smartest bro in the room it means one thing. To people like me it means something different.

Are your gay? Preference means different things to people. People who need to be the smartest bro in the room it means one thing. To people like me it means something different.
If you want to have a discussion, it helps to explain your views. In this case, 'what does preference mean to you' and 'who are people like you'?

You’re well aware of my intent in using the word preference. That is, you’re well aware I meant nothing negative but was using it as it’s commonly used. Again- you know this.

Hanging up the conversation on this point is not intended to discuss the actual topic. It’s intended to correct. To make me feel less than and make you appear superior.

I worked for a major tour company in NYC for years. People would specifically request LGBTQ+ guides for VIP tours all the time, and we were happy to do so if such a guide was available. I can’t imagine Disney wouldn’t do the same.

It’s difficult to explain to a straight person how it feels being queer and unsure about being your full self in so many experiences. Or the instant comfort that comes from knowing you’re amongst your own. It’s really something heterosexual and cisgender people take for granted.

Jonfw2: No one here said you had ill intent. But this is a prime example of "intent vs impact"

It really does not matter if in your experience the term Sexual Preference is "commonly accepted." A group of queer people in the queer section of the forum has informed you that it is NOT acceptable to us. "sexual preference" is a term invented by straight people, with the specific intent on othering queer people. I don't know any person in the queer community who would use this term when talking about themselves or others. Using terms like "sexuality" or "sexual orientation" are definitely much better options and are indeed the most accurate descriptors for what you are talking about. Your intent was likely not to hurt anyone, yet the impact of using the term preference is going to provoke a very negative response from people because of hurtful experiences with this term. It just is not an accurate or accepted term.

Jonfw2: No one here said you had ill intent. But this is a prime example of "intent vs impact"

It really does not matter if in your experience the term Sexual Preference is "commonly accepted." A group of queer people in the queer section of the forum has informed you that it is NOT acceptable to us. "sexual preference" is a term invented by straight people, with the specific intent on othering queer people. I don't know any person in the queer community who would use this term when talking about themselves or others. Using terms like "sexuality" or "sexual orientation" are definitely much better options and are indeed the most accurate descriptors for what you are talking about. Your intent was likely not to hurt anyone, yet the impact of using the term preference is going to provoke a very negative response from people because of hurtful experiences with this term. It just is not an accurate or accepted term.
Perhaps it was the approach people took- the first response was "I can't believe I have to even say that here". Then I got called a "bro". If someone had just said "hey, just so you know, that term isn't really accepted at this point..." that would have been a better approach.

I think this is an extremely dangerous and slippery slope. I agree with others that to ask the question is within your rights, but the Disney corp. is in no way obligated to share with you whether the guide is LGBTQ2 or an ally. They simply should say our guides are trained to be inclusive and all of our guides are allies. To give you an answer in the affirmative, other than that, would be sharing personal information that an employer, by law cannot share. Also I agree with an earlier poster, this question is akin to a person of color asking for a guide "Who is not a racist" I am for inclusivity in every way but if Disney or any other employer tells you they are assigning you an LGBTQ2 guide or guaranteeing in any other way than saying all of our guides are allies / inclusive, they are treading in very dangerous territory.

Two more of my cents, for what it is worth. Disney should not be assigning guides to groups based on any requests or advance questionnaire, or anything like that. guides, who are persons of color should not only be assigned to families of color, same goes for Caucasian guides and Caucasian familes. Same should go for guides when it comes to sexuality, guides should not be assigned based on their sexuality or the perceived, or known sexuality of the tour group. To make this request damages the true quest for absolute inclusivity in the long run. Any corporation should strive to hire employees that are inclusive to all and the only way to identify those who are not, is by discovering that they are not. By requesting a guide that is LGBTQ2+ or an ally, will ensure your guide is someone that you will be satisfied with but in itself in not an inclusive request and does not allow Disney the opportunity to show that their employees are properly trained and vetted and are all inclusive. I think Disney should assign a guide based on next person up, no requests. This way if they have guides who are racist or bigoted an any way, they will be discovered and their employment terminated. I understand you are paying a lot of money and want the best experience possible for yourself, your husband and your children but by asking this and basically requesting a guide based on them being LGBTQ2+ or an ally, you are inherently assuming the worst. I think you should hope for the best, book your tour and if for some reason something is not to your liking, complain and ask for a refund. This is the only way that bigots get discovered and removed.

I worked for a major tour company in NYC for years. People would specifically request LGBTQ+ guides for VIP tours all the time, and we were happy to do so if such a guide was available. I can’t imagine Disney wouldn’t do the same.

I find it surprising that the company would not only ask tour guides what their sexual orientation was, but also keep a database of the guides’ sexual orientations on file so that they could honor special requests. Even though this database would also make it easy to honor the requests of bigots demanding heterosexual tour guides, I would hope that such requests would not be honored.

I find it surprising that the company would not only ask tour guides what their sexual orientation was, but also keep a database of the guides’ sexual orientations on file so that they could honor special requests. Even though this database would also make it easy to honor the requests of bigots demanding heterosexual tour guides, I would hope that such requests would not be honored.
We gave an LGBTQ+ History Tour as one of our offerings, and it was important to the company that only queer guides lead that tour. It wasn't a scary, mandatory database or anything. There's way more to cover in NYC than a controlled environment like Disney, where all the guides are super on script. You need all types of people with a huge range of experiences and expertise, and any good tour company knows who's working for them. Sometimes you're just matching a body to a group, but more often for VIPs we'd really try to select the best fit.

As for bigots demanding heterosexual tour guides, that did happen on occasion. Always from large private religious groups. Either school groups "just concerned about the children" or adult groups looking for "a leader who aligns with their values."

In true New York fashion, my boss used to tell those potential clients exactly where they could stick those requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter